Any good mechanical, possibly illuminated keyboards

Macgruber

Dec 17, 2005
you guys have any of these?

seems i wont be able to spend less than 100$ to get a good mechanical keyboard thats POSSIBLY illuminated? :/

i prefer regular keyboards with no border and wrist support, what about you guys? any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Most illuminated ones are cost upwards for $100. Ducky and DAS both make the minimalist design you would probably like.

Macgruber

Dec 17, 2005
Most illuminated ones are cost upwards for $100. Ducky and DAS both make the minimalist design you would probably like.

i saw the DAS keyboard it was slim, mechanical looked very practical, saw a video review and saw its clack noise was VERY low...

however, i feel if i am going to pay 130$ for the das i would want something backlit :(

im using a BASIC keyboard, i mean BASIC :) and i want an upgrade that will last, it has to be mechanical for sure, i want it to handle ghosting so i can press multiple keys without the freeze, and the backlit would help alot in the dark

ty for your post man, have you heard anything about the razer boards or corsair k80? tbh im scared of any corsair products, bought their headphones ( feedback noise 24/7) returned, bought their memory (doesnt perform as advertised) returned. xD
+

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2E16823114030R anyone here ever use this or had a friend who did?

bwanaaa

Dec 26, 2002
I use that razer and it is better than the ducky that I have. The ducky sometimes fails to function when awakening from sleep requiring me to unplug it and replug the usb. The razer has been good, has a ton of better software and more customizable. The ducky is heavier so stays put better in an earthquake or causes more injury when used as a projectile.

Karstein

Mar 31, 2011
The Logitech G710+ is mechanical (Cherry browns with o-rings) and illuminated. Doesn't quite fir the bill for having 'no border' as it has one row of G-keys on the left, but it does have a detachable wrist rest. Just beware the backlight issue. It's discounted on Amazon right now for $125.

If you're looking in the direction of Corsair, you could always wait for the K95 and see what you think of that.

Razer boards are regularly being dinged for bad quality in more recent times.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
The Logitech G710+ is mechanical (Cherry browns with o-rings) and illuminated. Doesn't quite fir the bill for having 'no border' as it has one row of G-keys on the left, but it does have a detachable wrist rest. Just beware the backlight issue. It's discounted on Amazon right now for $125.

If you're looking in the direction of Corsair, you could always wait for the K95 and see what you think of that.

Razer boards are regularly being dinged for bad quality in more recent times.

I actually just bought the G710+ today and should have it tomorrow. I am not a huge fan of Cherry Reds because I do a lot of typing, being a software developer, as well as gaming.

Broheim

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2011
I have a Ducky Shine 2, you can't really get a better illuminated mechanical keyboard than that.

Macgruber

Dec 17, 2005
i didnt really look into the diff cherries :( i bought razor blackwidow and im going to try it out, seems that ones cherry mx brown

hey let me know how your G710 is man :) would love to hear about it

Macgruber

Dec 17, 2005
I have a Logitech illuminated: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16823126194

I dunno, I like it. It's a keyboard... Is there anything in particular you are looking to know?

I bought it over Black Friday, it was in the neighborhood of $60-ish, IIRC.

nothing too particular, i just wanted the best bang for the buck on a ILLUMINATED and MECHANICAL keyboard

i sort of bought without checking into the cherry mx red/brown/blue and all that thinking they were all basically the same, hopefully i like the one i get because i dont think i would enjoy looking for a keyboard just based by the keyclicks:(

Ty for posting! :D!

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
I like the clicky keys myself which I why I have the blackwidow ultimate. I have noticed with it that control-break doesn't work on mine which is somewhat annoying.

Macgruber

Dec 17, 2005
I like the clicky keys myself which I why I have the blackwidow ultimate. I have noticed with it that control-break doesn't work on mine which is somewhat annoying.

nottt surew hat control break is but please give me your take on this keyboard!! pros? cons?

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
I had a led go out under the + key but other than that it's been ok. Razor finally got their software right so it doesn't crash when it loads. The biggest complaint I have is the shiny finish which shows fingerprints and pretty much anything else that gets on it.

tracerbullet

Golden Member
Feb 22, 2001
nothing too particular, i just wanted the best bang for the buck on a ILLUMINATED and MECHANICAL keyboard

Ahh, gotcha. I was trying to figure out exactly what aspects of them you wanted to know about. After a quick look it turns out my KB is membrane so doesn't apply anyhow. FWIW, I like it a lot, LOL, but I see now it's not what you're specifically looking for.

Macgruber

Dec 17, 2005
i thought there was only one form of mechanical seems theres 4 or 5, and its the way the keys click, i really hope i like the way the razer is because i dont want to return and try a different one

if its good i can settle without without wanting to know if there is better or worse xD and i hope for that price the keyboard lasts 80 years lol

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Browns are the closest to the middle of typist / gamer I think. I like browns. I've used Reds, Browns, and Blues and prefer Browns.

Broheim

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2011
Browns are the closest to the middle of typist / gamer I think. I like browns. I've used Reds, Browns, and Blues and prefer Browns.

yeah browns are the middleground and are also the perfect "beginner" switch.

Macgruber

Dec 17, 2005
i must say i was at a store that had the black widow, i was able to try the 4 arrow keys and was amazed at how easy and smooth it was to type, makes me wish i bought this keyboard when it came out lol

i appreciate all the help and opinions guys :)

Eureka

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
Rosewill illuminated keyboards tend to go for around $65 on sale. The problem with the Razers is that their QC is kind of shoddy, and a lot of people aren't favorable with their software DRM. But if you get one that works and you don't have a problem with the software, it should be fine. I had one that died on me randomly after around 21 days, however.

Macgruber

Dec 17, 2005
Rosewill illuminated keyboards tend to go for around $65 on sale. The problem with the Razers is that their QC is kind of shoddy, and a lot of people aren't favorable with their software DRM. But if you get one that works and you don't have a problem with the software, it should be fine. I had one that died on me randomly after around 21 days, however.

thanks man, but razer > rosewill anyday

i would never buy a case, power supply, keyboard or anything with the rosewill name on it

Diogynes

Oct 20, 2009
I actually just bought the G710+ today and should have it tomorrow. I am not a huge fan of Cherry Reds because I do a lot of typing, being a software developer, as well as gaming.

What do you think of the G710+? I'm looking for a mechanical to replace a G19 that has the blinking display problem.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
If you can see it and touch it in person I'd do that first before buying if at all possible. I wanted an Ione armor but couldn't locate one so I ended up with my razor. My local best buy had one so I was able to put my hands on it prior to buying. I also noticed that one of my local walmarts also had them in stock if you can believe it.

Eureka

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
thanks man, but razer > rosewill anyday

i would never buy a case, power supply, keyboard or anything with the rosewill name on it

Wrong answer. Razer Blackwidow keyboards are made by iOne, while Rosewill keyboards are made by Filco. iOne is known for having QC problems out the back door, Filco is better in that regard.

Don't look at brand names, look at the product.