Any good in depth sniper games?

plastick

Golden Member
Sep 29, 2003
I've been playing a lot of COD4 and, not that I'm a camper (lol), but I thought it would be fun to play a game where you get to explore the whole sniping strategy. It seems there arent any good games out there about that... at least nothing comes up when I google except online flash games.

Anyone here know of any sweet sniping games then?

Andrew1990

Banned
Mar 8, 2008
I remember one came out a while ago where the entire game was about sniping. It was set in world war 2 and it came out for the Xbox and I believe the PC at the time. I forgot the name though.

There is also Marine Sharp Shooter which is a bargain bin game that isnt so hot. :)

Matt2

Diamond Member
Jul 28, 2001
I can't think of a game that is centered around sniping.

BF: BC has some frustrating bullet behavior that makes sniping almost impossible unless the enemy is standing still.

CottonRabbit

Golden Member
Apr 28, 2005
Originally posted by: Andrew1990
I remember one came out a while ago where the entire game was about sniping. It was set in world war 2 and it came out for the Xbox and I believe the PC at the time. I forgot the name though.

There is also Marine Sharp Shooter which is a bargain bin game that isnt so hot. :)

I think you're referring to Sniper: Art of Victory. This probably isn't what the OP had in mind though ;).

novasatori

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
armed assault with windage & elevation mod with range charts and realistic bullet physics is really good for sniping

plastick

Golden Member
Sep 29, 2003
Originally posted by: CottonRabbit

I think you're referring to Sniper: Art of Victory. This probably isn't what the OP had in mind though ;).

lmao i love this:

as utterly dull as it is, is soon lost in a raging sea of disappointing graphics, ridiculous artificial intelligence, and woeful shooting mechanics. In Sniper, you can walk up to an enemy soldier, shoot him in the face, and somehow miss your target. You can spot a Nazi through a window, set up your shot, then watch helplessly as your bullet fails to penetrate said window. You can take pot shots all over the place, making a ton of noise in the process and whizzing hot lead past the eyeballs of the bad guys, only to only to have them continue on their merry way, unaware of anything at all. Perhaps most annoyingly, you can stealthily advance though a given mission, sneaking about and watching your every move and taking out the enemies you're somehow able to spot behind all the scenery and the fog, but then fall immediately dead, the victim of a single blast from an unseen source. Grr.

Andrew1990

Banned
Mar 8, 2008

Nope, actually it is Sniper Elite.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/act...sniperelite/index.html

It looks somewhat decent, much better than the one you linked to at least, lol. ;)

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009

Nope, actually it is Sniper Elite.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/act...sniperelite/index.html

It looks somewhat decent, much better than the one you linked to at least, lol. ;)

I just read the review for Sniper Elite in an old PC Gamer the other day and thought "Man. I might have liked that game".

Coldkilla

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2004
Originally posted by: novasatori
armed assault with windage & elevation mod with range charts and realistic bullet physics is really good for sniping

This is what you need. Theres nothing like easily creating your own little world here. Yesterday I sat myself and a friendly AI ontop of a cold and windy mountain top while waiting for a small convoy of 3 supply trucks to roll through a small town so I could take out the drivers.

plastick

Golden Member
Sep 29, 2003
Originally posted by: Coldkilla
Originally posted by: novasatori

This is what you need. Theres nothing like easily creating your own little world here. Yesterday I sat myself and a friendly AI ontop of a cold and windy mountain top while waiting for a small convoy of 3 supply trucks to roll through a small town so I could take out the drivers.

lol yes! that is what im looking for!! searching for game now

darom

Dec 3, 2002
Sniping in one of the missions in Operation Flashpoint was fun (where you have to take out someone in the base. Stealing tanks was a blast as well). The AI was pretty decent to notice you and hear noises.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
there are some maps in Operation Flashpoint where you play as a sniper. I used to play those maps over and over again, because I loved doing that.

GZNails

May 2, 2008
I'm surprised no one mentioned Counter Strike.. what other game can you switch to the pistol and back without having to draw the bolt back and already have a round in the chamber? That seems realistic to me. Also the jump and shoot headshot... VERY real world.

/sarcasm

Anyway. ARMA2 is coming out soon, that should be able to full fill some of your sniper lust?

MrWizzard

Platinum Member
Mar 24, 2002
Originally posted by: darom
Sniping in one of the missions in Operation Flashpoint was fun (where you have to take out someone in the base. Stealing tanks was a blast as well). The AI was pretty decent to notice you and hear noises.

Yea there were some FAAAAAAAAAAAAAR sniping missions on that game. I remember a mission where you tell a squad to go ahead and you climb to the top of a mountain and it is crazy sniping time. The sound mods make this game so much better too.

darom

Dec 3, 2002
Yeah, Flashpoint ballistic physics were quite accurate. It took some practicing to take out long range targets.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Originally posted by: Brutus04
Day of Defeat has a sniper player that is pretty cool...

TF2 also has a sniper class but I doubt that's what the OP is looking for.

Coldkilla

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2004
Originally posted by: darom
Yeah, Flashpoint ballistic physics were quite accurate. It took some practicing to take out long range targets.

Yea as awesome and amazing as that game was, shooting at a target while looking for the poofs of smoke was a bit odd. Nontheless, by far one of the best in-depth immersion type games from sniping I've ever played. Now I've got Arma but yea.

Coldkilla

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2004
I made a fun little video of the gameplay in Arma the other day to show my cousin a little what its like. Its me trying to act cool as a sniper.. it fails horribly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoL8Zh28xqo&fmt=22 (4:40 is when gameplay starts).

I don't have the windage/elevation mod in though. Just the vanilla bullet drop and accuracy sufficed.

novasatori

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
Originally posted by: Coldkilla
I made a fun little video of the gameplay in Arma the other day to show my cousin a little what its like. Its me trying to act cool as a sniper.. it fails horribly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoL8Zh28xqo&fmt=22 (4:40 is when gameplay starts).

I don't have the windage/elevation mod in though. Just the vanilla bullet drop and accuracy sufficed.

nice, the windage/elevation mod with range charts and also the range finder are my favorite

busting out the range finder, and finding the distance, then pulling up the range charts and setting the windage/elev and headshotting people from like 1500m with the M95 etc

really great game