Any good games I can play with these specs?

jeffr0

Oct 13, 2013
I'm mostly interested in games like Medal of Honor or Brothers in Arms, but anything good will do. Unfortunately BIA does not work with my video card. Thanks for the help.

OPERATING SYSTEM:
Windows Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (build 2600)

CPU:
Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.66GHz

MEMORY:
510.0 MB OF RAM

MOTHERBOARD
Intel Pentium 4 (Socket 478 mPGA)

GRAPHICS:
Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller
Standard Plug and play 1280 x 1024 (32 bit)

HARD DRIVE:
WDC WD800BB-75FRA0

OPTICAL DRIVES:
TSSTcorp CD/DVDW SH-S182F
HP DVD Writer 740b

Last edited:

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
I think the first Call of Duty will work.
also if you like WW2 multiplayer BF 1942 should work fine (with low settings), and it's free...

another multiplayer game would be Day of Defeat (HL mod).

jeffr0

Oct 13, 2013
I think the first Call of Duty will work.
also if you like WW2 multiplayer BF 1942 should work fine (with low settings), and it's free...

another multiplayer game would be Day of Defeat (HL mod).

Thanks for reply! I forgot about Battlefield.

stahlhart

Super Moderator Graphics Cards
Dec 21, 2010
Hidden & Dangerous 1 & 2?
Operation Flashpoint?
Soldier of Fortune?
Return To Castle Wolfenstein?

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
hidden and dangerous was a fun game, I used to play that with 128mb of ram and Intel 810 graphics :eek:

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Wolfenstein 3D

OP would need these "specs"

3dspecs.gif

Revolution 11

Jun 2, 2011
I play Counter Strike 1.6 just fine
I am pleasantly surprised. ALL of my troubles with "slow" or "crappy" PC experiences can be summed up to a lack of RAM. And/or malware.

I suspect that a Pentium 4 will feel slow to me today, as a Core 2 Duo in 2007 was a vast speedup. But more of that has to do with bumping the RAM from 1GB to 2GB. I have tried some laptops as old as mine that had 4 GB and it is just a far better experience.

Your bottleneck is probably not even the iGPU, but the very very low amount of RAM. After that, probably the old hard drive which will not have much I/O.

If you can play games on it, more power to you. :thumbsup: I would not bother until 2GB of RAM are on a PC before I can even use it without ripping my hair out.

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
I'm playing games right now on a Thinkpad t42 with a 1.8 P4, 512 ram, and a 9600 mobility. I couldn't find your card on the Tom's chart, so I don't know exactly how the two GPUs compare, but you can check my thread in the notebook section; I listed the games I installed that play well.

I think some other ones I've installed since then are

Dungeon Siege
KotOR
Winning Eleven 7
Tennis Masters Series

The jury is still out on Far Cry. When your character is alone everything move and looks great, but as soon as multiple enemies appear it gets pretty choppy. I'm going to order a gig of RAM to see if it helps.

AViking

Platinum Member
Sep 12, 2013
Might be worth downgrading to Win98 too just to see if games respond better. I remember running XP on half a gig briefly and it was no fun. The upgrade from half a gig to a gig was rather dramatic.

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
Wolfenstein 3D

lol

What about these specs?

chat31742.jpg

Sorry, OP. I hope you get the answers you're seeking.

Edit: Awww, man. I see I'm not even the first one to make a "specs" joke. Some specs jokes can be inappropriate, especially around children. I do have a good one about dirty specs, if anybody wants to hear it.

Last edited:

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
XP will run fine on half a gig for sure. Though a full gig is better. You might want to try Good Old Games if you're looking for something to play on that rig. The fact that you're running old Intel integrated graphics is the biggest bottleneck. The computer probably has an AGP port, so you might be able to find an old AGP card on eBay or something. That will give a big performance boost. Though not enough to play anything made after 2005.

Revolution 11

Jun 2, 2011
XP will run fine on half a gig for sure. Though a full gig is better. You might want to try Good Old Games if you're looking for something to play on that rig. The fact that you're running old Intel integrated graphics is the biggest bottleneck. The computer probably has an AGP port, so you might be able to find an old AGP card on eBay or something. That will give a big performance boost. Though not enough to play anything made after 2005.
XP will run ok, but you can't use any meaningful apps on just half a gig. Firefox alone will take 300 MB of RAM with just 6 tabs, one which is a YouTube video. If you want any more tabs or more than 2 videos, you don't have the RAM for it. I consider 2 Youtube tabs and 4 static webpage stabs to be perfectly normal usage. And 512 MB of RAM is not enough for this on XP with any modern, secure, supported browser.

My XP experience stops clugging and starts to actually feel smooth somewhere between 1 and 2 GB of RAM. Even then, I have to manage applications (Steam + demanding game uses 1.5 GB right there) sometimes unless I have 3 or more GB.

People here say a SSD is the first upgrade everyone needs, but I feel until you have 3GB or more of RAM, a SSD will not help much. Most new PCs have this but the older rigs are sorely lacking.

Turbonium

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2003
I'm selling 2 sticks of 512MB DDR RAM (1GB total), but given you could really use it, I'd be willing to send you them for free (just pay for shipping).

I'm offering these ones here (Corsair TWINX 400MHz - I'm fairly sure they will downclock to your motherboard's speed - someone correct me if I'm wrong):

10037.gif

Let me know if you want them. You'd basically be paying 7+ bucks or so to get 1GB of RAM in your system and make it WAY faster, given the XP install.

To answer your original question, the following games come to mind (in addition to those listed by others):

• Warcraft III (low settings)
  • StarCraft
  • older Worms games (non-3D)

Last edited:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003

You can actually go overboard if not careful.

Act Of War doesnt like systems with more than 3 gigs of RAM.
Theres a workaround, but only for Win7. And the game never played that great under W7 anyways, only XP.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
I'm mostly interested in games like Medal of Honor or Brothers in Arms, but anything good will do. Unfortunately BIA does not work with my video card. Thanks for the help.

OPERATING SYSTEM:
Windows Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (build 2600)

CPU:
Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.66GHz

MEMORY:
510.0 MB OF RAM

MOTHERBOARD
Intel Pentium 4 (Socket 478 mPGA)

GRAPHICS:
Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller
Standard Plug and play 1280 x 1024 (32 bit)

HARD DRIVE:
WDC WD800BB-75FRA0

OPTICAL DRIVES:
TSSTcorp CD/DVDW SH-S182F
HP DVD Writer 740b

Wow, that's old school to the extreme

Deus Ex will run. Great game.

If you're into rpg's there a ton of classics that will run on that system. Fallout 1/2, Baldur's Gate series, KOTOR (maybe), Planscape Torment just to name a few.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
Hmm...just noticed your graphics is really low end, even for that era. So not sure about Deus Ex.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
XP will run ok, but you can't use any meaningful apps on just half a gig. Firefox alone will take 300 MB of RAM with just 6 tabs, one which is a YouTube video. If you want any more tabs or more than 2 videos, you don't have the RAM for it. I consider 2 Youtube tabs and 4 static webpage stabs to be perfectly normal usage. And 512 MB of RAM is not enough for this on XP with any modern, secure, supported browser.

Browsers are ram pigs for sure. I'm just saying it will run fine when you're dealing with old games of that era. Anything else and he's pretty much screwed.

Back in the day, 2GB was considered the sweet spot for XP and gaming. It's a 32-bit OS so you can't use more than 4GB. I'm assuming it's a Prescott core, best case scenario, which makes it circa 2005. Since it has a DVD writer, that's likely. Fortunately, DDR doesn't seem to be as expensive as used to be. Newegg has a pair of 2GB G.Skill sticks for $40. They've got the lower latency ones for $50 but I don't think it's worth it for this rig.

For graphics, I think the best GPU you can get would be the Radeon HD 3870, which IIRC were the last batch of cards for AGP. For some reason they're going for a lot of money on eBay. They're long arse cards though and I suspect this is some crappy HP desktop. Might not fit in the case.

In terms of CPU upgrades, it might be able to support up to a Prescott HT 550, which is a 3.4ghz hyperthreading model. No guarantees though. OP, could you download CPU-Z and tell us what it says?

The real question is whether it's worth it to upgrade this rig at all. It definitely needs more RAM and a better GPU. You're looking at about $100 right there. Might as well just buy a referb console at that point, or start saving for a new rig. Even the cheapest Dells will mop the floor with this thing.