Any good freeware photoshop alternative?

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
At home i use photoshop, but often at work I need to do image manipulations. I downloaded gimp but TBH, as much as I like to support open source, gimp is crap... There's just so many anoyances and the overall interface is just crap. For example I go to save a multi layer image as a jpg, and it only saves one layer. wtf? I know jpgs don't support layers, but it should at least flatten it on the fly, while keeping the layers in the interface so I can do a change and resave. Lot of stuff like that.

So any other decent apps for image manipulation?

papaschtroumpf

Mar 5, 2003
The Gimp is not crap, but it is different from photoshop and the transition is always a little difficult.
It is your best alternative so you should give it a fair chance, everything else like Paint.NET is less powerful, but easier to use, Paint.NEt may be a better alternative for you.

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001
And when you try to save an image with multiple layers as a format that doesn't support layers it does indeed prompt you to export it with all layers.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
You could try Gimpshop. It's the same thing with a tweaked gui. You may like it better. I have no comment as I don't need tools with that kind of power. Paint.NET serves my purposes for image editing.