Any good Dishonored like games?

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I'm looking for a FPS with a more nuanced approach like Dishonored in stealth mode and a decent story line. Any ideas?

ArenCordial

Sep 18, 2012
Prey. Its done by the same studio as Dishonored and is sort of a spirtual successor to System Shock.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Nope. Prey (2017) the one by Arkane Studios, which is the same studio that did Dishonored and Dark Messiah of Might and Magic. Its a really good, underrated game imo.
I didn't see much of that game but if it's anything like Dark Messiah of Might and Magic (which should be a recommendation for this topic) then I'll look into it. I really enjoyed the original Prey and always hoped the second game would see the light of day. But I guess that's just a pipe dream.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
If you're OK with something a bit older (but still very playable) I'm currently playing through Dark Messiah of Might and Magic (relatively short game but its taking me forever to complete due to schedule issues) and it is also made by the same folks as Dishonored.

Little rougher around the edges and less forgiving than Dishonored, but the game quickly picks up steam out of the first chapter or two and gets to be a whole load of fun.

Story is a bit predictable but definitely much more engaging than your standard sword and board material.

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
What about the Styx games?

There's the second/newer one which has more favorable reviews:

And the first one:

Supposedly decent stealth games, but not so sure if they have a decent story or not.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Prey. Its done by the same studio as Dishonored and is sort of a spirtual successor to System Shock.

hmm, maybe I need to try this out. I discovered it in my library the other day--didn't realize I had it, lol. ....maybe I got it on one of the very cheap sales, like with Dishonored 2 and Deus Ex MD. ...which is why I clicked on this thread.

I started Dishonored 2 at the beginning of this quarantine, and couldn't bring myself to keep playing it after the beginning of the 3rd missions. It seems like a very lovely game...but it's just annoying. really annoying. the mele is absolute garbage in FP perspective, and this seems to be a common complaint. IT seems I missed some stuff to upgrade my powers in the previous maps, so I'm basically stuck at that point, dealing with the worst mele mechanic I have ever encountered in a game, so decided that this is not for me. (like the first Dishonored, which I stopped playing after ~1 hour, lol)

so Onto Deus Ex MD...I eventually replayed the Human Revolution one after not liking it, and came to enjoy it, some years later. So now this one....I dunno. I'm just as frustrated with it, because the game just feels like work. It's just...work. It's really nothing more than a tidying-up simulator in-between some cheesing the endless hacking interfaces. And it's too easy to cheese, and very annoying. moving boxes and hacking is like, 95% of the play time. I don't know why I keep at it. now ~20 hours into it and I've encountered maybe 2 things that I could possibly shoot.
...it's a very resource-expensive picking-up-boxes game.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
OK, to update ^that recommendation, I am really digging Prey. This is one that I can stick with and will probably abandon Deus Ex with great prejudice...

Prey (2017) reminds me a lot of Bioshock. I mean, it's practically the same game in a different environment, right? The game also looks gorgeous (maybe not as nice as Dishonored 2), but it also runs smooth as hell for me at 3440x1440, very high, with my Vega 64 & 2700X.

I may go back to Dishonored 2 after this and replay the 2nd mission to grab more of those relic or totem thingies to update my powers....I wonder if my problem was that I was trying to avoid leaving corpses around because of the fly thingy (I don't really know much about that mechanic--it just sounded like a bad idea to start stacking bodies early on?), and so I was avoiding all the stealth kills that would have otherwise made life easier, especially for getting a lot of the upgrades that I chose to pass up (also assumed I could just go back and forth, but it's more of a mission system than an ~open world gating system, right?)

ArenCordial

Sep 18, 2012
OK, to update ^that recommendation, I am really digging Prey. This is one that I can stick with and will probably abandon Deus Ex with great prejudice...

Prey (2017) reminds me a lot of Bioshock. I mean, it's practically the same game in a different environment, right? The game also looks gorgeous (maybe not as nice as Dishonored 2), but it also runs smooth as hell for me at 3440x1440, very high, with my Vega 64 & 2700X.

I may go back to Dishonored 2 after this and replay the 2nd mission to grab more of those relic or totem thingies to update my powers....I wonder if my problem was that I was trying to avoid leaving corpses around because of the fly thingy (I don't really know much about that mechanic--it just sounded like a bad idea to start stacking bodies early on?), and so I was avoiding all the stealth kills that would have otherwise made life easier, especially for getting a lot of the upgrades that I chose to pass up (also assumed I could just go back and forth, but it's more of a mission system than an ~open world gating system, right?)

Glad you're enjoying the recommendation!

Dishonored and its sequel for me are kind of at this weird junction. It presents itself as an action/stealth mashup, but the game doesn't really promote that playstyle all that well. After playing Dishonored you'd never guess that Dark Messiah was made earlier by the same developers, the melee combat is pretty lacking by comparison. The game's trailers love to show case some awesome power combos you can do, but if you don't want a high chaos run that immediately goes down the drain pretty fast. The game becomes all about stealth because it plays far better that way but there's not much in the way of upgrades you really need. Your movement power, quick choke, and vision are about all you need. At the end of the game I had all these powers I never used or needed. This why it never really clicked for me.

Prey though does a much better job of blending the moment to moment of the different styles imo.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I like no-kill stealth mode in Dishonored but one can kind of sum up the games in that mode as:

What did you do today?
Dishonored: I mugged a bunch of weird monk dudes.
The Knife of Dunwall: I mugged a bunch of meat cutters.
The Brigmore Witches: I mugged a bunch of lesbian witches.
Dishonored 2: I mugged a bunch of weird witches and an Indian dude.
Death of the Outsider: I mugged a bunch of blind nuns and a bunch of Randian Objectivists.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
I started Dishonored 2 at the beginning of this quarantine, and couldn't bring myself to keep playing it after the beginning of the 3rd missions. It seems like a very lovely game...but it's just annoying. really annoying. the mele is absolute garbage in FP perspective, and this seems to be a common complaint. IT seems I missed some stuff to upgrade my powers in the previous maps, so I'm basically stuck at that point, dealing with the worst mele mechanic I have ever encountered in a game, so decided that this is not for me. (like the first Dishonored, which I stopped playing after ~1 hour, lol)
I found the melee very satisfying. You need to block at the right time and then counter-attack while the enemy is reeling. Also combine it with the pistol and you become a great swashbuckler.

so Onto Deus Ex MD...I eventually replayed the Human Revolution one after not liking it, and came to enjoy it, some years later. So now this one....I dunno. I'm just as frustrated with it, because the game just feels like work. It's just...work. It's really nothing more than a tidying-up simulator in-between some cheesing the endless hacking interfaces. And it's too easy to cheese, and very annoying. moving boxes and hacking is like, 95% of the play time. I don't know why I keep at it. now ~20 hours into it and I've encountered maybe 2 things that I could possibly shoot.
...it's a very resource-expensive picking-up-boxes game.
I couldn't get into Deus Ex Mankind Divided either. Prague was beautiful but in that second region the game completely degenerated into breaking into apartments and constant hacking.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
System Shock 2, Bioshock 1/2, the Thief series and the Deus Ex series all share DNA with Dishonored.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I found the melee very satisfying. You need to block at the right time and then counter-attack while the enemy is reeling. Also combine it with the pistol and you become a great swashbuckler.

I couldn't get into Deus Ex Mankind Divided either. Prague was beautiful but in that second region the game completely degenerated into breaking into apartments and constant hacking.

I like the idea of how the mele works in Dishonored--it's just that it'sFPS. I don't generally like FPS and I especially hate it if mele is the primary combat. They just do not work together, and not in any game I have ever played.

...I've never considered FPS "immersive." It's only ever what I call "claustrophobic," haha. Especially when your targets need to be in your face all the time, I can never tell where anything is half of their action is off-screen; especially when timing is so important.

and yeah, same issue with Deus Ex for me. Hacking + tidying-up people's messy apartments. Not fun. The guns are also unresponsive. There is no real feedback, so the 1% of the time I actually got into combat, I had no satisfaction being involved in it.