Any good adventure games?

zokudu

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2009
After watching AGDQ last week I got really nostalgic about old adventure games from the N64 era. Games like Mario 64, Banjo Kazooie, DK64 and such.

Was wondering if there's anything similar to that on modern consoles. I have all 3, just looking for something chill with a reasonably large world to explore. I don't play or follow consoles that much and I haven't touched this genre since the the N64 so I'm kind of out of the loop here.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
Since I never had a PS2, I picked up several PS3 collections (of PS2 games) during Black Friday that looked good. Ratchet and Clank collection, Sly collection, and the Jak and Daxter collection. They all look like they might be similar to the games you're asking about. I haven't had a chance to open them up and try them out yet, though.

Necrolezbeast

Apr 11, 2002
Mario 64 was a wonderful game... I really miss the feeling of it and Ocarina of time... I dunno if it was just because they were the first game I played with such unique worlds to explore, or I was at the right age, but those games set a bar of expectations that have yet to be reached again in my gaming career. :(

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
There's tons of games like that on the Wii as well. Super Mario Galaxy, Zelda, etc. Since the Wii U came out, Wii games and consoles have been selling for dirt cheap. Gamestop was advertising referb systems for $90.

zokudu

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2009
There's tons of games like that on the Wii as well. Super Mario Galaxy, Zelda, etc. Since the Wii U came out, Wii games and consoles have been selling for dirt cheap. Gamestop was advertising referb systems for $90.

I already own a Wii. I've been reliving some of these games with the virtual console but was hoping to find some more modern alternatives. I'll be sure to take a look at some of your suggestions

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
if you have a wii, NSMB and DKCR are both great games/series for that nostalgic fun you remember as a kid. people also love rayman.

Corif

Jan 21, 2013
I would definitely pick up Super Mario Galaxy if i was you. Such an amazing game.

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
RPG but still.... Ni no Kuni... Beautiful game in so many ways.

Most refreshing and honest game to come out in a LONG while.

It has STUNNING 3D landscapes and environments to explore and the battle system is a hybrid semi action system like Tales of Phantasia series.

Music/visuals alone are to die for if you want an epic adventure, and the story and characters are heart warming and endearing.

Last edited:

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
RPG but still.... Ni no Kuni... Beautiful game in so many ways.

Most refreshing and honest game to come out in a LONG while.

It has STUNNING 3D landscapes and environments to explore and the battle system is a hybrid semi action system like Tales of Phantasia series.

Music/visuals alone are to die for if you want an epic adventure, and the story and characters are heart warming and endearing.

Reviews on it are all over the place though.

RedRooster

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
I really enjoyed Enslaved, that was a great game. Good story too, would love to see a sequel someday.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
I second Super Mario Galaxy if you liked Mario 64. I liked SMG so much I got the 2nd one. I'd pass on NSMB, it isn't the same "adventure" style - it is a side scroller.

Zelda Twilight Princess was great, Skyward Sword not so much. I was a huge fan of OOT.

Uncharted was an OK game. The gameplay was somewhat frustrating but the story made it worth the small headaches. I only played the 2nd one, but the game was frustrating enough to not want to play any of the others. But I did beat it just for the story. (If you want to buy mine, let me know!)

BioShock is a very interesting "adventure" type game. It is a good mix of FPS and RPG elements without being TOO linear. It is a nice cheap game at this point, you may as well throw down the $5 or $10 and see what you think.

One of the best games in recent years I ever laid my hands on was Batman Arkham Asylum. While somewhat limited in exploration, there is a lot you can do if you choose to. Get this game if you don't have it, simply one of the best games in a long time, and I'm not a fan of Batman. If you find you like this, Arkham City is also very well done, but I feel it isn't quite Arkham Asylum. They are very close though. And there is more exploring in Arkham City since it is sandbox style.

Last edited: