Any gas at all in Mississippi?

Whisper

Diamond Member
Feb 25, 2000
Ok everyone, here's the deal: I'm currently in Baton Rouge, and am wanting to head home to Atlanta for the weekend to spend time with family/friends since classes have been cancelled for the remainder of the week. Also, it'll mean one less person milling around town here, further congesting things for all those in need.

However, I'm really worried as to whether or not I'll be able to find anywhere to fill-up my car along the way. I tried going the I-59N route earlier this morning, and about 40 miles after it branched off of I-12W, the highway was closed. Coming back to BR, there wasn't a single gas station open; I ended up finding one with about half a gallon left in my tank. Not fun, and not an experience I'd like to repeat.

The only other feasible route I can come up with (since I-10E is closed as well) is to take I-12W to I-55N, and then catch I-20W in Jefferson, Mississippi. However, my car can only go roughly 300 miles per tank, and the trip to Atlanta is around 540-560.

Thus, I was wondering if anyone here knew anything about the route I'm planning on taking. Is I-55N even open all the way to Jefferson, and is I-20W clear/open to Atlanta? Also, are there even any gas stations open and selling anywhere in Mississippi or Alabama?

Any information anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated. I realize it might not necessarily be the smartest idea to try to make the trip right now, but I'd like to if at all possible. Thanks in advance for the help.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
you might not get back. you should probably stay where you are for now, if you have food/water/shelter

things are going to get a lot worse before they get better

you might not get back to BR if you leave

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
I would stay where you are. I'm in Atlanta now and people are saying it's a 17 hour drive to get back to I12. It would be a nightmare for you.

Whisper

Diamond Member
Feb 25, 2000
Originally posted by: Chaotic42
I would stay where you are. I'm in Atlanta now and people are saying it's a 17 hour drive to get back to I12. It would be a nightmare for you.

I wouldn't doubt it. The last fifteen or so miles heading into Baton Rouge sucked. But I'm wondering if any of that will have died down by Sunday/Monday.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Whisper

I wouldn't doubt it. The last fifteen or so miles heading into Baton Rouge sucked. But I'm wondering if any of that will have died down by Sunday/Monday.

I'm waiting to return home and they're saying it will be 30 days before we can come back.

Whisper

Diamond Member
Feb 25, 2000
Originally posted by: Whisper

I'm waiting to return home and they're saying it will be 30 days before we can come back.

Hmm. I'd definitely hate to get stuck in that, and I'm truly sorry that you're currently in it. So I'm guessing there's only one way back to this area right now, and it's pretty clogged up?

mdchesne

Banned
Feb 27, 2005
gas is around 6.50 in atlanta, ga. father's down there on business and he can vouch for this gouge!

Whisper

Diamond Member
Feb 25, 2000
Just wanted to say that I THINK I remember going near Poplarville before the highway closed down. I was about 40-50 miles North of I-12W on I-59N. Not sure if that's the right area, but I saw that you were from there (chaotic), and it sounded familiar. There was some place called maybe Pearl Lake near there (a little farther up the highway) as well.

Lots of trees down; saw some national guardsmen on the highway (which was down to one lane in multiple places) removing foliage/debris. From there to I-12 wasn't actually that bad of a trip, though. The worst of it hit on I-12 just West of Hammond. Looked like there were a LOT of people heading towards Baton Rouge trying to find gas.

suse920

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
you should have left when we told you to before the storm hit :( And to think you were wondering if classes would be off for tuesday ;)

Whisper

Diamond Member
Feb 25, 2000
Heh yeah, I know. But even if I'd left, there's apparently now no guarantee I'd be able to make it back in time for class next tuesday. 17 hours of traffic would definitely suck.

I'll make the drive out there today/early tomorrow if I know there's gas available somewhere along the way. But right now, it seems pretty iffy.

However, on a positive note, I don't regret staying in town. Where I am wasn't badly hit, and so now there's some decent space for NO evacuees to head to.

chrisms

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2003
My advise to you is to follow these two examples and drink heavily (remember you can fit a pounder in the back pocket). Looting food, water, or other supplies isn't important. Only take the beer.

Whisper

Diamond Member
Feb 25, 2000
Yeah, seems like the smart decision is to stay put, and just try to head back in a few weeks or something. Doesn't mean I'll actually abide by that decision, seeing as how I'm prone to severe lapses of judgment, but it's more than likely that I'll remain in Baton Rouge.

Thanks for the info.

GhettoBlaster

Dec 1, 2000
I was considering either heading to Houston or Shreveport but I think I may stay in Baton Rouge as well. I don't have to go to work the next few days so I don't know what the hell I am going to do.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: mdchesne
gas is around 6.50 in atlanta, ga. father's down there on business and he can vouch for this gouge!
:shocked: