Any games like Lords of the Realm 2?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Kabob, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Kabob

Kabob Lifer

One of my favorite games when I was young was Lords of the Realm 2. Turn based, lots of emphasis on economy, but combat was in real time. Are there any games that have come out in the past few years (other than LOTR 3 which I didn't like) that are similar??

2. shortylickens

shortylickens No Lifer

3. TehMac

TehMac Diamond Member

Empire Total War, Napoleon Total War, Shogun 2 total war?

4. Sulaco

Sulaco Diamond Member

Seeing as how Lords of the Realm is based in medieval times, Medieval 2 Total War would be a much better recommendation. Rome TW as well.

I also played LotR 2 back in the day. It was a blast for its time, and relatively deep compared to the old "tank rush" RTS games of the time.

Basically, if you like the setting, try out Medieval 2 Total War w/ expansions, and you'll likely soon forget about LotR 2. :)

5. Borealis7

Borealis7 Platinum Member

i think he wants a turn based strategy game. but i cant think of others with turn based movement, real time combat...

try King's Bounty + Armored Princess (real time world movement, turn based combat :) )
    both are excellent games.

6. Sulaco

Sulaco Diamond Member

Er...that's EXACTLY what the Total War games are. Turn-based grand campaign, real-time battles and combat.

7. Kabob

Kabob Lifer

Random post?

I'll take a look at Medieval 2, thanks!

8. Kudro

Kudro Member

If you get Medieval 2, please download and install the Stainless Steel mod. It refines and improves everything. I won't play MTW2 without it.

9. Bibble

Bibble Golden Member

I just got Rome: Total War for $2.50 thanks to the Hot Deals forum. After a few hours of playing yesterday and today all I can say is, "Holy crap this is awesome!" This is exactly what I was looking for. It has all of the elements that make LoTR2 great and then adds a lot more.

My only problem is that I'm not very good at video/computer games to begin with, and this game seems to be a lot tougher than LoTR2. My towns either riot or bankrupt me...oh well I'll have fun trying to figure it out.

10. Kabob

Kabob Lifer

Yeah, I saw that deal for RTW but thought I'd pass it up, I'd greatly prefer the medieval setting.

11. Via

Via Diamond Member

12. Ganeedi

Ganeedi Senior member

Also along the same lines as Medieval 2 Total War, is the King Arthur The Role Playing Wargame - No really thats the name - dont let it throw you off - its really a decent game. Theres a couple threads here about it if you do a search.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/24400/

You might want to check out the expansions as well if you are interested.

13. AyashiKaibutsu

AyashiKaibutsu Diamond Member

Rome Total War was a better game imo (mostly because cav never seemed to charge for me even in patched med2).

14. Zukertort

Zukertort Junior Member

AyashiKaibutsu, LotR 2 is my favorite game ever. The games listed here are cool but your best bet is Knights of Honor. Check it out, you won't regret it!

15. cln05350

cln05350 Junior Member

Although an old thread, I came across it 11/4/2013.

The best game that meets what you are asking for and more.... is:

Lords of Magic.

Lords of Magic is a turn-based strategy PC game designed for Windows 95/98 by Sierra Entertainment. The game was intended to combine elements of Heroes of Might and Magic II and Lords of the Realm II. The special edition also contains the Legends of Urak quest pack, a set of five individual quests that revolve around stories unrelated to the main plot of the game.

There are eight different factions: life, death, order, chaos, air, earth, fire, water. Each faction represents their element with their own set of units, heroes and spells. The Heroes of the game consist of three different types which offer unique game play and tactics. They are Warrior, Thief and Mage. The Warrior acts as a Tank and leads armies into battle. The Thief works best alone being able to steal money and spy. The Thief can even kidnap other heroes, ransoming them for money and artifacts. The Mage is very weak with low hit points, but can use spells which can change the entire battle in your favor, summoning great monsters or raining down fire and lightning from behind the lines. There are over 160 different spells and they are different for each faction. These spells are divided into four types - "offensive", "defensive", "overland" and "general knowledge". There are over 90 different artifacts as well to discover.
    The game includes a single-player mode and limited multiplayer features on LAN and the Internet as well.

16. Schfifty Five

I know this was a necroed thread, but Lord of Magic was both super awesome and buggy as hell. Well, the very first edition was buggy as hell and my computer sucked hardcore back in the late 90's when this game came out. I seriously hope they bring this game back via Steam or something.

17. shortylickens

shortylickens No Lifer

#17 shortylickens, Nov 4, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  18. shortylickens

shortylickens No Lifer

19. you2

you2 Diamond Member

Did lord of the ealm have actual combat or simulated combat? The one thing I dislike about the paradox games is that combat is 'simulated'.

20. Via

Via Diamond Member

If you can get yourself to try older games the Koei historical simulation series is fantastic.

Romance of the Three Kingdoms is an epic. You take monthly turns to recruit generals, build your army, send spies, improve your harvest, tend to your popularity etc, until you decide to take another territory (I can't remember what they were called in ancient China).

The battles themselves were so much fun. They would take place on a grid, and every general you took into battle would have his own troops. The stats of individual generals was critically important - only the best generals would have naval capability to cross rivers, and weak generals would panic easily.

The wild card was fire. You could set fire to certain hexes which would then spread according to the wind direction, possibly trapping enemy generals and their troops. But if you were in a bad spot and the wind direction changed you could burn yourself up. I remember holding off a friend's huge army with a single general by a combination of fire, luck, and his boneheadedness.

Alas - all is not perfect these days. Due to memory limitations the monthly screen does look like a spreadsheet, and with so many options and little help it takes time to figure out what to do. I was pretty clueless sitting in front of my NES as a kid, but something about the game compelled me to keep playing. I had left "view enemy battles" on, and a ruler invaded a country next to mine. I still remember watching that battle like it was yesterday. I was totally fascinated, and I taught all of my friend to play the game.

We continued to play for years.

Lords of Magic? That game I never could get into. It did have one of the best boxes in gaming history. I still have it and the disc.

21. Via

Via Diamond Member

It had real-time combat.