Any free software that plays DVD's on your computer?

May 31, 2001
Neither WMP nor VLC will play A Scanner Darkly when I try to watch it. WMP won't do anything at all, VLC kicks off about 30 seconds after it starts playing. Looking for something I can run with WinXP Pro.

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001
Legally free? No, even the ones that are free for download (like VLC) require licenses for MPEG2 and probably other things like AC3. The difference is that it's up to you to buy them on your own, when you pay for something like PowerDVD you're indirectly paying for the license.

If the DVD won't play in that software then it's probably some form of copy protection, does it play in a console player for you?

May 31, 2001
Originally posted by: Nothinman
Legally free? No, even the ones that are free for download (like VLC) require licenses for MPEG2 and probably other things like AC3. The difference is that it's up to you to buy them on your own, when you pay for something like PowerDVD you're indirectly paying for the license.

If the DVD won't play in that software then it's probably some form of copy protection, does it play in a console player for you?

It probably would if I had one available.

*kicks himself again for losing the OEM copy of PowerDVD he had, since the movie is due back tonight.

secretanchitman

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
media player classic...vlc should play dvds too as i just watched one earlier today using vlc (LOTR).