Any external drive makers that still use a regular SATA drive inside the enclosure?

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
Are there any external drive makers that still use a regular 2.5" SATA drive inside the enclosure?

master_shake_

Diamond Member
May 22, 2012
a lot of the 2.5'' ones have a usb connector on the pcb for the drive itself.

wd was known for this.

the only ones that don't are 3.5 inch drives but most of the enclosures, if dead will not let you get your data back.

some of the pcbs that attaches to the drives sata connector encrypts the data

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011

wd was known for this.

the only ones that don't are 3.5 inch drives but most of the enclosures, if dead will not let you get your data back.

I've got a failing Seagate 500GB portable (old style, with the detachable SATA connector)... I might see if it works without the enclosure. The new Seagates, for example, have the USB3 connector built into the enclosure. Hmmm....

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Best bet is buying an enclosure and drive separately. Depending on what you're using it for (ex: backups) a drive dock is nice to have too.

WhoBeDaPlaya

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2000
Seagate Expansions (mobile) definitely do. OWC shells and sells a ton of 2TB 2.5" Samsung drives from those (and sells the shells as well).

Auric

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
External are usually priced lower and the included adapter is likely to be more reliable. One example is the Samsung Spinpoint M9T SATA 2TB (ST2000LM003) also available as the P3 and M3 Portable, and Seagate Backup Plus Slim. Samsung recently announced 4TB models and while I don't know if they too are SATA the model and part numbers still only vary by denoting capacity.

AlienTech

Apr 29, 2015
Are there any external drive makers that still use a regular 2.5" SATA drive inside the enclosure?

older model toshiba 2TB which is slightly longer due to the USB bridge circuit. I saw the review and they had the drive out of the case, the new models have the USB on the drive itself. They both cost the same though.

larryccf

May 23, 2015

wd was known for this.

i had a couple of 2.5" WD drives that i took apart - it looked like the USB PCB board was one pc with the drive, but it wasn't - there was a pc of metal tape that covered the joint - tuff to peel off but it revealed a std sata connection on the drive

economically it doesn't make sense to mfgr drives with a different connection for the small qty going to external drives

AlienTech

Apr 29, 2015
i had a couple of 2.5" WD drives that i took apart - it looked like the USB PCB board was one pc with the drive, but it wasn't - there was a pc of metal tape that covered the joint - tuff to peel off but it revealed a std sata connection on the drive

economically it doesn't make sense to mfgr drives with a different connection for the small qty going to external drives

It has to do with making them smaller.. The toshiba drives are like 2cm shorter than the ones with the bridge circuit on another pcb. I was not sure about it until I saw a review where they took apart the old and new drives. The new ones have the USB connector where the data connector is at. The bridge circuit is also the point of most failures. So on that level I am not sure about the new design, other than a smaller form factor. the USB port coming lose is a major problem.

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
Seagate Expansions (mobile) definitely do. OWC shells and sells a ton of 2TB 2.5" Samsung drives from those (and sells the shells as well).

Thanks.

P.S. I checked over at OtherWorldComputing and I could not find the shells for sale. Maybe they stopped doing this?

Last edited: