Any experience with Epson Ecotank?

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Son is starting to need to turn in projects for school that will need a color printer. My experience with inkjets has been pretty miserable, ink always dries out. The ecotank look promising, but a bit pricy.

Any other recommendations?

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
What I did: Buy a $50 (on sale)Canon Pixma and buy the ink on Ebay. I did it for my son's school work and it has been the least expensive and effective solution I have found. The colors are not perfect matches on the generic ink, but they are more than good enough for school work. Also, I have him print a test page once a week during school breaks and summer, and it keeps them working properly. The cost of the ink was only $17 or so for 3 Complete sets. I did that starting the last school year, and he is finishing up the second set now.

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
We also have a cannon and buy generic ink. the advantage is the print head is not on the cartridge. we print once every few months or so and have had no issues with the ink drying out over the last 4 years. also, the drivers don't suck like every other printer i have ever used.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
Son is starting to need to turn in projects for school that will need a color printer. My experience with inkjets has been pretty miserable, ink always dries out. The ecotank look promising, but a bit pricy.

Any other recommendations?
I use aftermarket inks to refill and was told that pigment based inks are more prone to clogging but that may not be the case today. Whatever the case, printing at least a page or a few every week is better to keep the inks flowing instead of waiting a few months and risking clogging.

The ecotank models uses permanent print heads which should last alot longer than normal disposable print heads on cartridges. The idea is to make the consumer pay more upfront for a design that uses cheap original inks.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Keep in mind that it is very difficult to buy a solo printer - nearly all are now AIO combo units.