• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Any electricians out there? Need help:

Mermaidman

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
7,900
24
81
I just bought a Samsung multifunction laser printer, model SCX-4116. Problem: When I plug it in and turn it on, the lights in the room would flicker and the UPS would beep every 12 seconds or so. The problem goes away when I turn off the printer. My old printer, an HP Laserjet 3330 did not cause anything like this.

Notes: The printer is plugged into a different outlet vs. the UPS, but in the same room. My guess is the printer is sucking up a lot of power, but I'm n00bish on this subject.

So--what's the problem? What's the cure?

edit: It was a Laserjet I used to have, not an Officejet.
 

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
35,466
1
76
Originally posted by: Mermaidman
I just bought a Samsung multifunction laser printer, model SCX-4116. Problem: When I plug it in and turn it on, the lights in the room would flicker and the UPS would beep every 12 seconds or so. The problem goes away when I turn off the printer. My old printer, an HP Officejet 3330 did not cause anything like this.

Notes: The printer is plugged into a different outlet vs. the UPS, but in the same room. My guess is the printer is sucking up a lot of power, but I'm n00bish on this subject.

So--what's the problem? What's the cure?
Open circuit or short in the printer sucking up too much current?
 

aircooled

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
15,965
0
0
I'm not an electrician, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express....

I'd return the printer if you have no other known electrical issues.
 

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
63,089
12
76
fobot.com
lasers use much more power than an officejet

my brother HL-1440 does the same thing

try to locate it somewhere to plug into a different branch circuit

when i plug my Brother laser printer into a different branch circuit , my UPS doesn't beep, i don't think the printer is "broken"
 

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999
63,773
289
126
Originally posted by: aircooled
I'm not an electrician, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express....

I'd return the printer if you have no other known electrical issues.
LMFAO! :D

Cheers aircooled :beer:
 

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
49,812
550
126
If this happens just from turning it on, I'd suspect a bad printer. Do as suggested and try a different circuit. Preferably one where all loads are turned off.
 

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
9,272
103
106
The overall load for that particular circuit is probably too high. It's not what outlet you plug something into that matters, it's the circuit. Try taking the printer to another room (or an outlet that you know is on a different circuit) and try it there. If you don't get any issues there, it's probably that you have too much of a load on the circuit you currently have it plugged into. Laserjets do tend to suck up a lot of juice.....
 

Mermaidman

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
7,900
24
81
Oops--It was a Laserjet 3330 that I used to own, so I'm comparing laser to laser.

Is there any way to increase the load capacity for a circuit? I can't have the computer and printer in different rooms for practical reasons. I can't return the printer due to the vendor's policy--besides, it's very well-designed and fast!
 

TitanDiddly

Guest
Dec 8, 2003
12,696
1
0
Originally posted by: Mermaidman
Oops--It was a Laserjet 3330 that I used to own, so I'm comparing laser to laser.

Is there any way to increase the load capacity for a circuit? I can't have the computer and printer in different rooms for practical reasons. I can't return the printer due to the vendor's policy--besides, it's very well-designed and fast!

Rewire the circuit completely with lower gauge wire(check the box) and install a higher amp circuit breaker.
Read: "Hire an electrician"

Or you could run an extension cord through the hall... note that just because it's a different room doesn't mean different circuit. Also, one room doesn't mean just one circuit.
 

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
30,322
4
0
Originally posted by: Mermaidman
Oops--It was a Laserjet 3330 that I used to own, so I'm comparing laser to laser.

Is there any way to increase the load capacity for a circuit? I can't have the computer and printer in different rooms for practical reasons. I can't return the printer due to the vendor's policy--besides, it's very well-designed and fast!
If you want to do this, expect to pay a lot of money because new wire will have to be installed most likely, which means tearing into your walls.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS