Any Electricians For 240v Help?

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
50,036
703
126
I think I bought the wrong spa disconnect panel. I picked up this one: Spa-250
It appears that the GFCI only protects the 120 volt branch circuit. It is rated for 20 amps/125 volts.
I liked the idea of the additional 120 volt leg as I can use it to supply power to the shed I am going to build. But I need GFCI protection for the spa.
Can I just use a GFCI breaker in the main panel to power the spa panel? Or does the fact that the spa panel, which already has a GFCI in it, negate that route?
 

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
39,398
19
81
I don't know, but I'm scared to death of electicity and always hire a licensed contractor when need arises. Been shocked too many times and it hurts like hell. Good luck and be safe.
 

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
50,036
703
126
Originally posted by: Carbonyl
I don't know, but I'm scared to death of electicity and always hire a licensed contractor when need arises. Been shocked too many times and it hurts like hell. Good luck and be safe.

Electricity is not too hard to work with. Just remember, it is like a Mod. It always takes the path of least resistance. ;)
 

NogginBoink

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
5,322
0
0
Originally posted by: oldsmoboat
I think I bought the wrong spa disconnect panel. I picked up this one: Spa-250
It appears that the GFCI only protects the 120 volt branch circuit. It is rated for 20 amps/125 volts.
I liked the idea of the additional 120 volt leg as I can use it to supply power to the shed I am going to build. But I need GFCI protection for the spa.
Can I just use a GFCI breaker in the main panel to power the spa panel? Or does the fact that the spa panel, which already has a GFCI in it, negate that route?

I don't have a clear idea of what you're proposing, but I'm 99% certain that your plans for your shed are against code.

Do yourself a favor: call the city and talk to the electrical inspector and get a permit and an inspection.

And, go to www.doityourself.com and post in the Electrical community forum and ask for help there. There are licensed electricians that hang out there.
 

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
50,036
703
126
Actually, I need no permit for the shed if I keep it under 120 sq ft. I have a permit for the spa.
I am asking if it is OK to have 2 GFCIs on one circuit? I want to use the d/c panel if I can, if not, I'll get another.
Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.
 

NogginBoink

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
5,322
0
0
2GFCI's on one circuit isn't necessarily bad (they'll still work), but it's not exactly the proper design.

Try the doityourself forms and get real answers from guys who do this for a living. They're a friendly bunch of folk.
 

amdskip

Lifer
Jan 6, 2001
22,530
13
81
I'm just wondering why you would need to hook the shed up to this panel. Normally you would just install a small box in the shed itself. If you are just having one or two circuits in the shed, I've seen it where the circuits are just in the house's main panel.
 

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
50,036
703
126
Originally posted by: amdskip
I'm just wondering why you would need to hook the shed up to this panel. Normally you would just install a small box in the shed itself. If you are just having one or two circuits in the shed, I've seen it where the circuits are just in the house's main panel.
The panel will be 10 feet from where the shed will be located. Otherwise, I have to run 60' of wire to get to the main panel. So it's for convenience.

 

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
50,036
703
126
Looking at the blue label on the website it says:
"240 GFCI Protection" The text on the gfi says "20 amps (min) through 50 amps (max)".
I am starting to think it may be the correct one after all.