Any Dynasty Warriors fans out there?

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
What do you think about DW9? I've been seeing a lot of love/hate towards the game and not a whole lot of decent information since most of the hate revolves around when the game was first released and a lot of the love comes from all the recent updates that (I assume) fixed a lot of the issues. I loved older DW games, but didn't care for six or seven, though eight was decent as it felt like they tried to bring back the original feel for the series. I tried the demo on both the PS4 and PC and while the controls on the PC version are absolute garbage (I have the input glitch that I cannot fix), it did have a much more solid demo since it released you in the full game instead of restricting you to a tutorial fortress like the PS4.

So, if there's any DW fans out there, what did you think of DW9?

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
The common remark that I heard about DW9 is that even if you ignore some of the awful bugs, which may be fixed by now, they neutered a lot of character individuality, and in some cases, to get the original weapon types, you need to buy DLC. I always played Dynasty Warriors as Zhang He with his crazy claws, and to get those, you gotta buy DLC.

Dynasty Warriors was always a bit about dumb fun, and I enjoyed the earlier titles more because they focused a bit more on simplicity. I think I picked up Samurai Warriors 4, and there are so many crazy upgrade systems in the game, that I tend to just ignore them in favor of SMASHING. ENDLESS. BADDIE. HORDES.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
I love the whole Three Kingdoms era and have read countless books about it and played almost every game that revolves around that time period, but after 9 (not counting the Empires games) Dynasty Warriors games, you're just playing the same campaigns but with prettier graphics. It seems like a lot of what I loved about the series has been removed in favor of an open world and more player choice (ie. using any weapon with any general) which I do not care for.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I forget which one it was, but I spent a lot of time on the ...maybe first or only one that was released for PS2? Was that 3?

It was a blast and even though it was very repetitive in many ways, I liked the diversity of play style offered by the different generals and special characters. I played one of the early Romance of Three Kingdoms much later on (the NES version, I think), and it was a solid RPG/Strategy game that I wish I hadn't missed at the time.

...it does amaze me that Koei, is it? squeezes so much content out of the exact same material, over and over and over again, for decades. It's like that company exists only to generate content related to the Three Kingdoms, lol.