Any drummers?

RadiclDreamer

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2004
I've played for about 15 years, have been out of the drumming game for quite a few years now and am looking for a fairly cheap decent sounding kit to kick around with. Something around the quality of a Fender strat (in guitar terms)

Whats the price range for something like this nowa days

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
If you've been out of the game a few years, I'd suggest going with a cheaper kit. Guitar Center has some good kits for 300-500 range.

RadiclDreamer

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2004
Originally posted by: GuideBot
If you've been out of the game a few years, I'd suggest going with a cheaper kit. Guitar Center has some good kits for 300-500 range.

Thats what Im looking for, any particular set you would recommend?

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Originally posted by: RadiclDreamer

I think you should just go and see what they've got. Ludwig actually carries some low-end stuff, but you'll still pay for the name.

I prefer Pearl myself, but you'll probably end up spending a little more to get anything remotely decent.

broon

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2002
You can't miss with a Pearl Export set. Those are usually pretty reasonable. Now you can get a good all maple set for less than $1500 for a five piece. I would like to do a Mapex M Pro seven piece set...no holes drilled in the bass, all maple, and you get a free Black Panther snare.

MiniDoom

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2004
Low end Ludwig or pearl. I've got a pearl export and it sounds like crap but it was less than 500$. Love my Roland V-pro set though.:p

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
Originally posted by: RadiclDreamer

I doubt GC sells Percussion Plus, but that's going to be on the low end of 300-500. Tama and Yamaha might have some in the mid to high end. If you're buying a drumset that's 300-500, don't worry about the brand name. It really won't matter. Just make sure you're not getting some crummy plywood shells :) Good heads and pedals and misc can be added in later for cheap :)

broon

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2002
Don't forget cymbals. The starter kits are ok. However, I couldn't stand listening to the kit I bought (ZBT) so I ended up buying a combination of A Custom, A, K Custom, and K cymbals.

Josh123

Diamond Member
Aug 4, 2002
Man I've been wanting to get back into playing drums myself. I haven't played for about 6 years and REALLY miss it.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
Originally posted by: broon
Don't forget cymbals. The starter kits are ok. However, I couldn't stand listening to the kit I bought (ZBT) so I ended up buying a combination of A Custom, A, K Custom, and K cymbals.

While true, you're not going to spend more on cymbals than you did on the starter kit. When you drop $5,000-$10,000 on a kit and you're a touring professional, THEN you can start paying more for cymbals than kits. :p

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
Originally posted by: Josh123
Man I've been wanting to get back into playing drums myself. I haven't played for about 6 years and REALLY miss it.

I'm looking into a cheap electronic kit. I can't have a drum set in the house I'm renting right now. The soonest I might be moving is February, but that's just into an apartment with my cousin where I still can't have an acoustic set. A cheap electronic set is perfect. I can connect my computer and play along with MP3's. Plus it's easier to break down and cart off to my buddy's garage :D

broon

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2002
GuideBot, it's easier to make cheap drums sound good than it is to make cheap cymbals sound good. I would spend $2k on cymbals before I would spend that on a drumset and I don't get paid to play. $2k will get you a pro cymbal set up, it takes $5k to get a pro drum setup. It's not any different than the guy who buys a Gibson instead of an Epiphone.

As far as cheap electronic kits, check auction sites. You can usually get one there for half price.

thepd7

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2005

While true, you're not going to spend more on cymbals than you did on the starter kit. When you drop $5,000-$10,000 on a kit and you're a touring professional, THEN you can start paying more for cymbals than kits. :p

You don't need a $5k kit to get good cymbals. Maybe he doesn't need K but A is great quality for the price.

Buying crappy cymbals makes a kit sound WAY worse than buying crappy drums in my opinion. Think about it this way: 75% or your playing is on your highhat, ride, snare, and bass. He has a good snare, it's tough to find a below average bass, so he should make sure his cymbals aren't complete crap.

I love A and K, great rock-ish sound. For splahes I used some Italian company I can't remember, I think sabian used to import them but they don't anymore.

I have my set in storage, I live in an apt right now and don't have anywhere to put it.

Tama Rockstar with ~7-8 cymbals, Pearl snare, cobra double bass pedal, etc.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
GuideBot, it's easier to make cheap drums sound good than it is to make cheap cymbals sound good. I would spend $2k on cymbals before I would spend that on a drumset and I don't get paid to play. $2k will get you a pro cymbal set up, it takes $5k to get a pro drum setup. It's not any different than the guy who buys a Gibson instead of an Epiphone.

As far as cheap electronic kits, check auction sites. You can usually get one there for half price.

I know someone who owns an electronic kit. I've been trying to get ahold of him to see if he wants to sell it.

As far as the cymbals go, nobody wins races their first time back to the track after learning to walk again, right? If he hasn't played in years and years and is buying a cheap set, I'd suggest picking up crap cymbals if he NEEDS them to get his skill back up. They might sound terrible, but at such a basic level the drums and cymbals are just placeholders anyway until he invests in a real set. :)

broon

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2002
I know someone who owns an electronic kit. I've been trying to get ahold of him to see if he wants to sell it.

As far as the cymbals go, nobody wins races their first time back to the track after learning to walk again, right? If he hasn't played in years and years and is buying a cheap set, I'd suggest picking up crap cymbals if he NEEDS them to get his skill back up. They might sound terrible, but at such a basic level the drums and cymbals are just placeholders anyway until he invests in a real set. :)
A good cymbal collection is built up before a good set is purchased. Like I said, purchase the cheap pack but know you will be upgrading soon.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
Originally posted by: AVAFREAK182
I've been drumming for a year now...Pearl is the way to go.

Have you played anything but Pearl? A year isn't much. Tried Mapex, Percussion Plus, Tama, Yamaha, DW, or Pork Pie?

Get your feet wet :D

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Why aren't you looking used? Pick up a whole kit with symbols in your price range with probably better components than you're going to get new. I wish I could play drums again, haven't played in about 10 years, but living arrangements won't allow it. Super easy to find gigs if you're a drummer.