Any downside to running a Xeon processor?

imported_boe

Dec 4, 2005
Hello,

I couldn't find the q9 cpu I wanted in stock any where so I was looking at the X3 instead. Any downside to running the Xeon counterpart? Any special memory requirements? I was thinking about getting a Gigabyte GA-X48T-DQ6 Motherboard motherboard if it matters - I'll be using it for gaming and video conversions

Thanks

Pantlegz

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2007
no sure if you would have to use FB-DIMMs I think it depends on the mobo, other than that they should work the same.

ethebubbeth

Golden Member
May 2, 2003
I just got my Xeon e3110 in yesterday, and it runs fine in an X38 board with un-buffered ddr2-800. For all intensive purposes, it's an e8400. I'm assuming that will be the same for the yorkfield xeons (of course, you know what happens when you assume).

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
e3110 = E8400

X3350 = Q9450

THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THESE CHIPS.

They are both LGA775. Both the same chip only different sectors. They will behave and act simular. The XEONS arent MAGIC overclockers. Please dont believe this if you hear. Ive had my share of bad xeons.

Xeons however are less prone to hardware failure at higher stress points. This i noticed and also why i only use Xeon's on my server.

Otherwise Overclocking. voltage, apperance will be identical to a Q9450 or a E8400.

There both Yorkfields and wolfdales on the same platform.

If worse comes to worse, your bios will report it as a Q9450 instead of a xeon X3350.

imported_boe

Dec 4, 2005
Originally posted by: aigomorla
e3110 = E8400

X3350 = Q9450

Thanks I thought the Xeons let you put more than one processor on motherboard and the standards didn't?

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Originally posted by: boe
e3110 = E8400

X3350 = Q9450

Thanks I thought the Xeons let you put more than one processor on motherboard and the standards didn't?

Unlike AMD, if you want 2 on a board, you get socket 771, not 775 as an example.

AMD had socket 940 that would go both ways.

The rules are not always solid though....(on certain platforms)

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Originally posted by: Rubycon
Hexacore coming soon!

ruby if working your channels gets you 4 of thoe processors and the tigertron board required for it, ima cry.

But then again, you do have an MP system. :X

Keep note people, this is a MP chip. When i was reading it on sun's documents, where it was leaked, words such as tigertron platform, and MP system boards were used.

If your in the market for a MID 5 digit IT upgrade, then you fit the bill. If not, well, this is why i say enterprise gets nicer stuff.

Owls

Feb 22, 2006
Originally posted by: ethebubbeth
I just got my Xeon e3110 in yesterday, and it runs fine in an X38 board with un-buffered ddr2-800. For all intensive purposes, it's an e8400. I'm assuming that will be the same for the yorkfield xeons (of course, you know what happens when you assume).

Ugh. I hate to be the one to do this but this is a HUGE pet peeve of mine. Don't consider this as a personal attack, but more of an edumaflaming.

WRONG - "For all intensive purposes"
RIGHT - "For all intents and purposes"

Now back to your scheduled program :)

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Originally posted by: Owls
Originally posted by: ethebubbeth

Ugh. I hate to be the one to do this but this is a HUGE pet peeve of mine. Don't consider this as a personal attack, but more of an edumaflaming.

WRONG - "For all intensive purposes"
RIGHT - "For all intents and purposes"

Now back to your scheduled program :)

how is this not an intensive purpose?

The chip acts like a E8400, clocks like one, if you pull the IHS off, it would even look like one.

The only difference is that its code is Xeon in bios, and also in windows xp.

But if you ran the two chips side by side on the same platform @ same oc. It will act the same, run the same, and think the same. Maybe slightly different in voltage requirements and heat load. remember no two chips are alike.

But there exactly the same.

Dont confuse xeons that are LGA771 vs LGA775. These are different. If you have a consumer board, not a server board, your going to look at LGA775.

And within the LGA775 family all chips are the same for that platform.

A E8400 same thing as a E8500 with different multi. The Q9550 is the same as 2 E8400 stamped on the same pcb.

So can you clearify what you meant about the first part?

GuitarDaddy

Lifer
Nov 9, 2004
It's one of those subtle things thats can be so difficult about the English lanquage

"For all intents and purposes" is a common phrase that means for all usages(intents, short for intentions) and purposes the two items are exactly the same

The phrase "For all intensive purposes" has a totally different meaning. It means for all intensive(heavy usage) purposes the two items will perform the same, but implies that for less "intense" usages they may operate differently

humanure

Dec 28, 2005
I've been running a xeon 3060 (e6600) on my p965 board for a year with no problems. I bought it at the time because the e6600 was out of stock, and the price difference was about $10. I've had it oc'ed to 3.4 since I got it. I don't think it's any better than the 6600, they seem to oc just as well and run the same.

TC91

Golden Member
Jul 9, 2007
humanure, just curious, how many volts are you pushing thru your 3060? just curious, since any higher than 3.5ghz for me i need a ton of extra voltage to get it prime stable.

Aluvus

Platinum Member
Apr 27, 2006

"For all intents and purposes" is a common idiomatic phrase that is sometimes incorrectly rendered as "for all intensive purposes". Ignoring the literal meaning of each, one is a common phrase and one is a garbled version of that phrase. This is a fairly common error.

More:
http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/intensive.html
http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/e...32/intensive-purposes/
WikiAnswers

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Originally posted by: Aluvus

"For all intents and purposes" is a common idiomatic phrase that is sometimes incorrectly rendered as "for all intensive purposes". Ignoring the literal meaning of each, one is a common phrase and one is a garbled version of that phrase. This is a fairly common error.

More:
http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/intensive.html
http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/e...32/intensive-purposes/
WikiAnswers

oh...

then yeah your right.

A Xeon is a server chip, while the E class is a consumer chip. But for "all intenive purposes" there the same.

dunno99

Jul 15, 2005
BTW, there is a difference between the chips.

The gist of it is that there are no SLP#, DPSLP#, and DPRSLP# states on the X33xx series CPUs. That means, no sleep states. Not sure what that corresponds to in terms of the C0-5 states for Penryn, as on page 84 of the X33xx spec sheet shows HALT and other states...but I'm guessing that this is just C0 or C1 states at most. All in all, you don't get sleep it looks like, so you'll have to shut down your computers at night if you want to save power. And that also means no waking on LAN or some such. I don't know, I'll have to check out hibernate when I hit home.

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
well, that doesn't matter for me since I'm dc'ing 24/7. It seems odd that intel would disable power-saving features for a server chip, however, since total power consumption can be a REALLY big deal for companies with hundreds or thousands of cpus.

graysky

Mar 8, 2007
Originally posted by: dunno99
BTW, there is a difference between the chips.

The gist of it is that there are no SLP#, DPSLP#, and DPRSLP# states on the X33xx series CPUs. That means, no sleep states. Not sure what that corresponds to in terms of the C0-5 states for Penryn, as on page 84 of the X33xx spec sheet shows HALT and other states...but I'm guessing that this is just C0 or C1 states at most. All in all, you don't get sleep it looks like, so you'll have to shut down your computers at night if you want to save power. And that also means no waking on LAN or some such. I don't know, I'll have to check out hibernate when I hit home.

Very interesting... anyone in here with a X3350 care to comment? Can you suspend the machine?

ethebubbeth

Golden Member
May 2, 2003
There are some small differences (why I used intensive purposes, it was intentional ^_~). I get a virtualization option and a couple other things in the BIOS I wouldn't with an e8400. However, for my usage of the system, it doesn't matter. It has the C1E state (I can turn it on/off in the BIOS), but I'm not sure about other sleep states.

dunno99

Jul 15, 2005
Sorry, spent all my time finding what the problem was with my machine (new machine). Finally got it stable (involved an RMA).

But yeah, when I try to put it to sleep, all hell breaks loose. Sure, it goes to sleep fine...but when it wakes up, it's just like being woken up constantly by someone when you're really, really sleepy. What I mean is, it "sputters". It turns on for 3 seconds (the screen doesn't even show anything yet), and turns off. Then on, and off, and on, and off, and on, and off, etc.... This keeps going indefinitely, and I can't even stop it without pressing and holding the power button for 5 seconds (just pressing it doesn't stop it). Anyways, best to say that either something's wrong with my system or that the Xeon can't sleep properly at all.

FYI, I have the EP35-DS4 with F3 firmware. Suspend was done through software, not some keyboard command or buttons on the case.