Any downside to polarized sunglasses?

boomhower

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2007
I need to get a new pair of sunglasses and am considering getting polarized this time around. Is there any downside other than the higher initial cost? I do a lot of driving so that is the main function for them.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Polarized glasses are great, but some screens may be difficult if not impossible to read with them on.

I was a crane operator most of my working career and I couldn't wear my Maui Jim's...the computer screen for the LMI turned black with polarized lenses.
Otherwise, they can be a huge relief for your eyes.

Reactions: dr150

Savij

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2001
Originally posted by: BoomerD
Polarized glasses are great, but some screens may be difficult if not impossible to read with them on.

I was a crane operator most of my working career and I couldn't wear my Maui Jim's...the computer screen for the LMI turned black with polarized lenses.

That's pretty much the only downside. I love mine for driving but I have to take them off to read the gas pump.

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Savij

That's pretty much the only downside. I love mine for driving but I have to take them off to read the gas pump.

yep. polarized ftw.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I have always got them. I love having them and havent had any problems.

My last pair of glasses i ordered them but they didn't put them on. I hate these glasses but can't get new ones until jan of 2011 ugh. damn insurance!

Riverhound777

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2003
They make it harder to read my phone. And window tint in cars usually looks like a rainbow, a bit annoying.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Agreed, polarized sunglasses are well worth the trade-off of the occasional LCD screen that you can't read. (I have to look over the top of my glasses to read some gas pumps.) I didn't find the cost to be that much higher - the lenses were about $15 more than my regular prescription lenses.

BrokenVisage

Lifer
Jan 29, 2005
Originally posted by: Riverhound777
They make it harder to read my phone. And window tint in cars usually looks like a rainbow, a bit annoying.

This - I wish I knew about the rainbow effect before I bought my Juliet X-Metal's but at this point I really don't notice it much anymore, but it does depend on what you look at through the tint sometimes.

Babbles

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2001
I have some polarized Maui Jims and they too do effect how some LCDs are seen. I have a Heads Up Display in my car and when wearing my Maui Jims I can't see the HUD on the windshield.

Pegun

Golden Member
Jan 18, 2004
They're great for sailing if you do so. When we were in the Bahamas or even in Chesapeake Bay they made life so much easier to see the reefs and underwater structures to avoid.

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
I'm still bummed that the idea of making car headlights and windshields polarized 90 degrees off never took off.

cheezmunky

Sep 30, 2002
most of these have already been mentioned but

tinting can make rainbow and/or checkerboard patterns
many screens are darker including the temp display in my car, gps display, ipod, cell phone, and car HUD
the only thing I've ever noticed completely blacking out just looking straight on are gas pumps. Most of the above will black out if you rotate them to odd angles.

still, I love my maui jim's

JoeBleed

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2000
I have a set of prescription, polarized glasses I wear when I drive on sunny days.

When I first got them the rainbow/checkerboard effect on my tinted glass in the car was really annoying, but now, I don?t even think about it. You will probably get over that if you have tint.

I can?t read the odometer and clock in my car, however I can read the radio. Speed odometer is also fine.

My cell phone is usually ok unless I hold it at an od angel.

My Garmin gps is ok with them too. I went with Garmin because I had read some reviews about some tom-tom models not being legible with polarized glasses. Even if I rotate it to odd angels, it gets a little darker, but I can still read it.

I have ran across the fuel pump display issue as well, but standing directly in front of it and level, you can usually read it. Though as I always fill up, I don?t really care what it says until I get ready to go in and pay.

To me, all of these issues are small, and an easily acceptable trade off for polarized lenses.

SonnyDaze

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2004

I have Native eyewear and can't see the LCD screen on my cell phone. :|

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
Yeah, they are awesome at reducing sunglare. Mine broke sometime last year, I still need to replace them. Any recommendations for something that's cheap ( <$30 ) and nicely built?

DVad3r

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2005
Yes, when you have a motorcycle helmet with a visor and it's cheap and not made for polarized lenses you will get a peon reflection.

LordMorpheus

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2002
Originally posted by: Demon-Xanth
I'm still bummed that the idea of making car headlights and windshields polarized 90 degrees off never took off.

That's a brilliant idea, man, now I'm bummed that it didn't happen.

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
Sometimes I can't read fuel pump displays and I have to hold my Blackberry at the right angle, but I can see all the other screens I use ok. They make a huge difference in glare. I even wear them when it is raining because you can see better.

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
Originally posted by: fleshconsumed
Yeah, they are awesome at reducing sunglare. Mine broke sometime last year, I still need to replace them. Any recommendations for something that's cheap ( <$30 ) and nicely built?

Bolle polarized - usually about $40 on sale.

Made in Italy too.

DVad3r

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2005
Originally posted by: thomsbrain
Sometimes I can't read fuel pump displays and I have to hold my Blackberry at the right angle, but I can see all the other screens I use ok. They make a huge difference in glare. I even wear them when it is raining because you can see better.

Yea, on our sailboat I can see most of the panels and gages except for one that is cheap and not made for polarized lenses.

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
Originally posted by: Fmr12B
Originally posted by: fleshconsumed

Bolle polarized - usually about $40 on sale.

Made in Italy too.

Are you sure it wasn't just assembled in Italy?

DVad3r

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2005
A sweet pair of glasses that I tried on and should've bought were Gatorz Velocity sunglasses. They are made out of aircraft aluminum and fit my head super, not to mention look bad ass. High quality finish and Made in the USA. They wanted 140 Canadian for them at the show and I should of taken them because I can't find a cheaper price than that online.

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
I can see LCDs fine with my polarized sunglasses. They only disappear if I tilt my head at a 45 degree angle. Don't know if it's dumb luck or a conscious design to improve readability. FWIW they're from LensCrafters.