Any doctors in the house? Affects of chewing tobacco vs smoking on the Heart

HeXploiT

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2004
A medical question;

A great many Americans die of heart attacks directly related to smoking. Since chewing tobacco also raises blood pressure is chewing tobacco just as dangerous to the heart?

captains

Diamond Member
Mar 27, 2003
mouth cancer
throat cancer
gum disease

if it can cause those then you are probably F-ed in the heart and everything else

Scouzer

Lifer
Jun 3, 2001
It's probably less harmful to your health on the whole, but it sure won't help your social life.

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Scouzer
It's probably less harmful to your health on the whole, but it sure won't help your social life.

Chewing tobacco contains much more nicotine than cigarettes. Also, if you do develop cancer from chew, the areas where it will develop are so close to your lymphatic system that it might metastasize quicker and more severely. Chew contains carcinogenic substances, just a cigs. Many brands are also loaded with sugar to help with taste, making for a higher likelihood of tooth decay, gum disease and all that good stuff.

I haven?t even mentioned cancer yet: Long-term snuff users have a 50% higher incidence of cancer of the mouth and pharynx, as well as more malignancies of the larynx and esophagus.
From here

Overall I'd say chew is worse for your health and more disgusting than cigarettes.

HeXploiT

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2004
But what about heart disease? Are the effects of chewing tobacco on the heart anywhere near as bad as smoking?

Dunbar

Platinum Member
Feb 19, 2001
I'm not sure about heart disease but the Wall Street Journal did an article a while ba\ck about the cancer risk between smoking and chewing tobacco. Smokers are actually 20 times more likely to get cancer than chewers which is not what I was taught when I was a kid. Not that I use either...

Scouzer

Lifer
Jun 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Perry404
But what about heart disease? Are the effects of chewing tobacco on the heart anywhere near as bad as smoking?

You really want to chew that nasty stuff don't you...

Jun 4, 2005
At least when I chew I don't subject others to it. And I don't chew enough to match how much a smoker consumes.

While it's obviously a stupid idea to do either, I picked my poison after careful consideration. ;)

Kirby

Lifer
Apr 10, 2006
Chicks don't like making out with a guy with a wad of dip in his mouth.

/thread

thepd7

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2005
you need to look at the reason that smoking causes increased risk of heart disease and see if chewing tobacco does that as well.

Kirby

Lifer
Apr 10, 2006
Originally posted by: LoKe
Originally posted by: nkgreen
Chicks don't like making out with a guy with a wad of dip in his mouth.

/thread

And chicks like making out with a guy with a cigarette in his mouth?

That's why I do neither. :D

Alcohol FTW!