Any disadvantages to burning @ 40x?

Entity

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
I just got my Lite-on 40x w/Buffer underrun protection the other day from dell, and have been burning a large collection of music recordings to CD to avoid having to worry about losing them. I haven't been using any special CDs to do this, but when burning at 40x (takes 2:15), I haven't had any problems yet reported from Nero - is there any reason I should worry about burning at 40x? I've heard vague allusions to this before, but don't know exactly why.

Rob

Entity

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Using some HP CDRs right now; soon will be using the TDK 32x CDs from Costco, but I'm not worried about those.

Rob

ThaGrandCow

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
As long as the disks are burnign ok at 40x then don't worry about it. If you're not getting problems during the burn process then you're gold.

Entity

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999

<< do u need special cdr to take advantage of the 40x speed ? >>

Apparently not. That's what I was posting to find out. :D

Rob

VTrider

Golden Member
Nov 21, 1999
I'm in the same boat here. I've been burning at 40x w/my Lite-on 40x with some 16x rated Sony CDRs no less. I haven't experienced any problem with audio quality or loss of data, etc. I'm pretty psyched about this fast burning stuff, but don't want to accidently be digging my own hole here? It was suck to find out later on that all my discs that I made at 40x have faults in them, so far so good though!

-Vtrider

D0wnL0ader

Banned
Mar 1, 2002
Entity,

Did u get the Lite-On 40x from DELL for $80?

Thats how much ive seen u can get it for at other forums with coupon codes

Tripleshot

Elite Member
Jan 29, 2000
Some media will burn at that speed that is rated lower, but it is inconsistant. Media that is rated at 40x will be more expensive. Just depends on how much you value your data and how deep your pockets are.

Burnproof takes the mystery out. Go with what fits your budget,and at todays prices, an occasional coaster is just the cost of doing business.

ILikeSprite

Banned
Oct 14, 2001
When I burn faster then the rated speed of the CDRs my cd player has trouble reading them and it skips much easier then it would with a normal cd. Also my cdrom reads them slower too like it has to go over the same area a few times before it can read the data.....

BCYL

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000

<< One disadvantage is that it doesnt leave you enough time to poop while it burns. >>

OMG... HAHAHA.... For some reason I couldnt stop laughing at this one!!! :D

VTrider

Golden Member
Nov 21, 1999
I'd like to see more responses on this topic/keep this thread alive. I have been copying audio CD @ 40x on 16x rated Sony discs w/noticeable ill effects. I did have a problem though when I copied a bunch of MP3's to a similair Sony disc, car CD player had trouble reading it. This disc was new, but had a few scratches on it in the first place so I don't know what was the culprit here?

-VTrider

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
My roommate can't burn faster than 32 or 36 with his 40X lite-on unless he turns off the burnproof(or whatever its called)

But also make sure you get a firmware update. I know the 40X lite-on jut came out with one. If that does not help then get REAL 40X media, and/or slow your burner down one speed setting.

crypticlogin

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2001
There was some IEEE white paper a few months back regarding disc-based optical recording (I barely remember the paper, let alone the author, title, date of pub., etc) that basically said consumer grade laser optic quality, in terms of "turn on" and "off" speed, aren't keeping up with rotation speeds. As a result, the beginning and ends of a pit/land region aren't as distinct as those created at slower recording speeds, possibly causing read errors and even data corruption. The paper cited examples primarily in MO-based storage but referenced CD burners as a secondary market.

edit: after reading that, I burn my "keep until the end of time" stuff at slower-than-maximum speeds.