Any difference VGA & DVI ?

zare34

Jan 20, 2010
I am about to upgrade to a dual monitor system . I just order 2 Acer 20" X203H monitors. The monitor supports both DVI and VGA. My video card has one VGA port and one DVI port. Will I see any difference in picture quality from one monitor to another.
Or should I go ahead and purchase a video card that has 2 DVI outputs?

yh125d

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2006
You'll see a difference, particularly since you're using both monitors at the same time. You'll have to look at it yourself to decide if it's worth buying a 2xDVI card for them

Tempered81

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007
I wish I was using DVI, but instead am on VGA. VGA doesn't give me the option to scale the image in CCC, so I cannot render games at a larger res and have them scale down to mimic SSAA on 4800 series.

I think it would be hard to spot image quality differences, as I've had vga, dvi & hdmi in the past. But if you have a choice, go with DVI.

NoQuarter

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2001
VGA quality depends on cable length, transmission quality and the analog/digital converter in the LCD's controller. It can be as good of quality as DVI if everything is perfect but it usually is slightly fuzzy compared to DVI.

I've used VGA on some monitors where it looked exactly the same as DVI and others the text was obviously hazy and annoying. If those monitors at 1680x1050 it will less likely be a problem than 1920x1080 though. But you'll be able to compare them side by side then decide on your video card.

Cheex

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2006
The output signal from the video card will be similar but the DVI (digital) will be better than the VGA (analog) output. Keep in mind that even though the monitors are the same model, the actual panel may show slight differences as well. :)