Any Dallas Mavs fans here?

djbacklash

Apr 18, 2000
Just wondering if any of ya'll are out there since there isn't much NBA talk around here ;) If anyone here wants to talk Mavs or anything else, I put up a forum over at my site (board should be familiar to all you AnandTech'ers - ;) ) So who here doesn't think the Mavs will win it all next year? heheh ok well maybe we won't, but we'll AT LEAST make the playoffs. GO MAVS!!!

Dallas Mavericks Basketball
http://www.dallas-mavs.com

prontospyder

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
As long as Shaq and Kobe are in the Lakers, your MAVs won't make it to the finals. :)

hehehehe....good luck to your team next year. :D

trmiv

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I think they will be decent next season, they might have a chance at the 7th or 8th seed next season, but they are doomed long term. Any team that signs Don Nelson to an 11 year contract is doomed for the cellar, or at best mediocrity. I will enjoy getting to see my Lakers beat the Mavs next season since Mavs owner Mark Cuban has been posting on the Lakers newsgroup lately (yes we know its really him), now I know when the Lakers beat his team, I can talk smack and he will read it since he says he reads it all the time. ;)

biohazard2

Banned
May 1, 2000
I didn't know the Mavs had fans, kinda like the Pistons :)

but honestly if you put up an NBA forum, I'd have to be a member!

mosdef

Banned
May 14, 2000
The Mavs are pretty tight. I love Finley so much, he's one of the most underrated players. Bradley is a huge presence but he's slow. Ceballos is a great scorer. Nowitzki was huge last year. Too bad they lost Strickland, but they got Wallace. And Pack is solid. They also had a pretty nice draft. I think things are definately on the upside for the Mavs, once the laughingstock of the league; I'll definately be rooting for them in the next NBA season.

-mosdef

djbacklash

Apr 18, 2000
Ya I guess it's safe to say the Mavs won't be winning the championship this upcoming season, but then again, there's just no definite and clear winner in the West at this point. Sure the Lakers won (much props to them btw!), but they did so by barely creeping past the Blazers, and even the Kings (who haven't done so well so far in the offseason, so they probably won't be as strong come November). There's also this guy Tim Duncan who, if not for a season ending injury, just might have led the Spurs deep into the playoffs last season. Point is, the West is LOADED and it's gonna be fun watching everyone battle this upcoming season!

As for my Mavs, I'll be surprised if we don't make the playoffs as at least the 7th seed. We now have excellent team chemistry, had a fantastic draft, and at the moment, are at full health (that's a first!). If not for the fact that our only true power forward was out the entire season last year (who just one year earlier was the runner-up for the NBA's MIP), we would have definitely made a push into the playoffs. And I'm not talkin bout Rodzilla ;) Oh yea and there's also that Cuban fella.. heheh if ya can't tell by now, I'm pretty psyched about the upcoming season ;)

Well if anyone wants to talk hoops or anything else, stop on by the Dallas-Mavs.com Forums! It was just opened a day ago so it's still a little quiet..

http://www.dallas-mavs.com

burnedout

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Even though I am a Jazz fan, I live in Austin and like the Dallas Mavericks. Nowitzke is coming on strong with a finesse game. Finley is underated and a potential triple double every time he goes out on the court. If they had a better center, they could probably go places. Bradley is a big man in the middle and at least he can score better than Greg Ostertag.

Nellie gets dogged out and takes a lot of heat. Part of it is the nepotism involving his son, Donnie, as an assistant. Part of it is ineffectiveness.

But, he still runs one of the best practices in pro basketball. His players publicly support him. And Sidney Moncrief will take over as coach shortly. Maybe even before the three year timeframe is up.

They have the potential to make the playoffs. Maybe at the expense of Sacramento, Phoenix, or Seattle.

If San Antonio can find a replacement for Sean Elliott, or if Elliott regains his old form, the Spurs will beat the Lakers (mark my words on this one). The argument here is no one can stop Shaq one on one. But other teams find it extremely difficult to stop Duncan and Robinson together. Had Duncan not been hurt, the Lakers may have had much more to contend with than a depleted Phoenix team and a scare from Portland.

Portland will continue to give the Lakers their toughest competition, along with a complete San Antonio team.

HannibalX

Diamond Member
May 12, 2000
I'm not a fan of the Mavs but I'v been to Dallas.. odd water gardens you have there.

Chad

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 1999
I'm a big fan of the MAVS. I thnk we will be legit contendors in 2 or 3 years. Our draft this year was spectacular. Najara is a fierce rebounder and the kid from Fresno St is going to be a superstar. We made out like bandits. We're coming up baby!

The Dancing Peacock

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 1999
Chad's right, I think they did very well in the draft, but I do have doubts about Nelson's coaching ability, plus I did have some reservations about his draft choices in earlier drafts except for Nowitski.

They pulled things together last season after the break, and had a nice run at the end of the season. I think they'll pull the 7 or the 8 seed next year and be a bit of an up and down team. Win some close ones, but still lose some that'll leave you scratching your head :).

late.

TDP