Any D&D fans here..need direction on rules

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Got a new game, Temple of elemental Evil, which is based on the v.3 or v.3.5 rules (not sure which).. I need a good site comparing 2.0 vs. these rule sets to build characters. Any idea on the changes? I know for instance they no longer use THAC0 and no race restrictions but thats it.

Shockwave

Banned
Sep 16, 2000
Text

Its not a V3 forum, but they have some smart guys over there. Might give it a whirl.
BTW, AD&D 1st OWNS AD&D 3rd............

Looney

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I haven't played this game yet, but 3E rules are VERY different from 2E. Literally a completely different game and system. 3.5E has some serious changes to it as well.

I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for, character creation is still very similar to 2E... at least in these kind of games (i'm only familiar with NWN). Proficiencies have been replaced by Skills and Feats (Special Abilities). I'm sure the manual that came with it should be sufficient. I know the NWN was more than enough for me to get started, and i had no clue as to what 3E rules were... i was completely baffled when i first saw how leveling, multiclassing, skills/feats, prestige classes, etc. But the manual did a good job IMO.

Storm

Diamond Member
Nov 5, 1999
Obligatory "Am I drunk yet?" :D

Like Moralpanic stated 3rd edition is sooooo much different from 2nd...

Arent there a lot of bugs with Temple of Elemental Evil?

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Well basically, moralpanic, I'd not so familiar with ANY rule set, but got used to BGII rules and became familiar with them though hours of playing.. This was 2.0.. I'd just like to see a chart on how all the rules vary within tall the iterations.. maybe one column bieng, 1.0, another, 2.0 etc...

Karaethon1

Aug 22, 2001
For the game itself:
This place has good stuff.

For D&D 3.5 rules:
System Reference Document

For Conversions:
Try Here
In general this site is a leading source of information on D&D (at least it was 2 years ago when I was avidly playing). I'm pretty sure it's still pretty good. If you're really stuck, just click on the message boards there and post a message and I'm sure someone will be able to help you.

Hope this helps.

Looney

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Originally posted by: Zebo
Well basically, moralpanic, I'd not so familiar with ANY rule set, but got used to BGII rules and became familiar with them though hours of playing.. This was 2.0.. I'd just like to see a chart on how all the rules vary within tall the iterations.. maybe one column bieng, 1.0, another, 2.0 etc...

Why even bother comparing them? Like i said, it's a completely new system, and treat it as such. Just pretend it's a new game with a new system you don't understand, that's what i did... and that's probably what you're seeing as well.

Karaethon1

Aug 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Zebo

If you're just going to play it for the purpose of playing ToEE, you don't really need to know all this info. If you're already familiar with BGII, there are significant changes, but it really shouldn't affect gameplay THAT much.

The biggest difference is that you now have feats and skill points that you have to assign. These choices basically determine what a character can and cannot do through the course of their career. Also, certain classes can gain extra abilities when they level up. Also, if you choose an ability like Power Attack for your fighter, you'll want to make sure you use it in the right circumstances.

I haven't played ToEE, so I can't really comment on specific mechanics of the game. I got it when it first came out, but it was too buggy and slow, so I returned it.

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
Get the 3e (or 3.5...3E is the batter, IMO. They screwed up some things in 3.5 that I really liked in 3, and needlessly complicated weapons) PHB. Skip the "What is an RPG" part and read to the end (or at least to the spell lists).

Karaethon1

Aug 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Cerb
Get the 3e (or 3.5...3E is the batter, IMO. They screwed up some things in 3.5 that I really liked in 3, and needlessly complicated weapons) PHB. Skip the "What is an RPG" part and read to the end (or at least to the spell lists).

I don't think that's necessary for him since he just wants to play that computer game

Looney

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Originally posted by: Cerb

Man, that's definitely not needed. Infact, it'll probably confuse him even more, since some feats and spells usage are missing or changed from the game.