Any company still installing GBA Afterburner kits? Update:: changed mind to Halo kit

djheater

Lifer
Mar 19, 2001
I don't want to have to do it myself.

If you've had a good experience with somewhere definately let me know. thanks!

fs5

Lifer
Jun 10, 2000
Originally posted by: orangel
just go get a gbasp if you can sell your gba.
it'll be about the same price.

seconded... better battery life and form factor too.

djheater

Lifer
Mar 19, 2001
The GBA is one I just bought used and cheap for my 5 year old. Is it that expensive to install?

MournSanity

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2002
You can probably install it yourself rather easily if you take your time and read all the instructions carefully.

djheater

Lifer
Mar 19, 2001
Originally posted by: bleeb
Try this??

I'm sold on the Halo. I have e-mail into them asking if they're still offering it at 24.75 which would be fine with me, making my total purchase about $60 for a pretty well lit GBA.

ANybody dealt with GBAHALO.com? They have NO resellerratings and a google search doesn't bring up much, what's worse is they're CANADIAN {{gasp}} ;)

bleeb

Lifer
Feb 3, 2000
Not sure about it... try to find the kit on ebay too. I'm considering doing this since also because I've been recently playing the GBA and the lighting ABSOLUTELY sucks. Looks easy enough.

djheater

Lifer
Mar 19, 2001
Originally posted by: PlatinumGold
did you look into trading in your GBA for a GB SP at Electronics Boutique??

Like I said, it's for my five year old. My total investment will still be less than an SP and she's familiar with the system already. It's also what she specifically asked for, my brother-in-law has one and she knows what she wants. It's a reward for especially good behavior combined with Birthday. I tried to sell her on a Leapster but she wasn't going for it. The GBA is what she wants. D4mn people I KNOW about the SP, that's NOT what I want... :D

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
Originally posted by: djheater
Originally posted by: PlatinumGold
did you look into trading in your GBA for a GB SP at Electronics Boutique??

Like I said, it's for my five year old. My total investment will still be less than an SP and she's familiar with the system already. It's also what she specifically asked for, my brother-in-law has one and she knows what she wants. It's a reward for especially good behavior combined with Birthday. I tried to sell her on a Leapster but she wasn't going for it. The GBA is what she wants. D4mn people I KNOW about the SP, that's NOT what I want... :D

hehehe

my 7 yr old has the GBA and has been asking for a GB SP for about 2 months now. so i was thinking about taking his GBA in and trading it for a GB SP at Electronics Boutique. i'll let you know what it costed etc.

:) btw, i bought an afterburner kit and never got around to installing it. :( i'm not even sure if i have all the parts anymore. :( what a waste of money that was.

brxndxn

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2001
I installed the Afterburner kit on my GBA (white) and it was a bitch. But, I think the GBA+afterburner > GBA SP. The SP is too close together and gives my big fat hands carpal tunnel. Also, the SP is like a complete rip-off of the Afterburner mod considering anyone that modded their GBA with Afterburner can tell that the SP's screen has the same 30degree angle reflector material as the afterburner kit.

I've since sold my GBA.. But if I were gonna get a kid a GBA or SP, I would get the GBA + Afterburner kit. The SP's buttons are just way too close together.

Also, battery life isn't much better on an SP considering you can use normal NiMH rechargeables in it and you can get them at 2200mah now. I got ~8 hours of life with my Afterburner on full brightness (never installed the dimmer) with 1600mah NiMH batteries.

djheater

Lifer
Mar 19, 2001
Originally posted by: brxndxn
The SP is too close together and gives my big fat hands carpal tunnel.
thanks. I feel the same way, but say something like that around here and you're likely to get your ass chewed. I'm hopeful the 2nd gen Halo light is all it's made out to be. If that's the case I can't see why I'd ever buy an SP. Small form factor is great and all but it's not everything.