Any comic book readers here? (I just started reading the Preacher)

Arkitech

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2000
I normally like Vertigo books and this Preacher so far has'nt disappointed me. Someone was telling me that there are a couple of other titles like Hitman, the Sandman and Hellblazer are also really good Vertigo books. I've tried looking for them on the DC/Vertigo site but they don't have to much info.

Anyone know some good sites to research older comic books from 3-6 years ago?

Also what are you reading right now thats good?

Rob9874

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 1999
Welcome to 1996! :) Just kidding. Yes, those were very popular books about 6 or 7 years ago. Current hot stories include "Hush" in Batman 608-619 (I think those are the correct issues). "Superman/Batman" has been hot (on issue #8 right now). The trend 6 years ago was to write edgy stories for rough characters like Preacher and Hitman. Comic companies have now used that philospohy for the standard superheroes, and it's really sparked a new interest in them. Michael Turner has just started a new storyline in Superman titles (Superman, Adventures of Superman, and Action) called Godfall. It's the first time I've seen new Action comics selling on eBay for more than cover price. Superman 204 comes out in April, and will be drawn by Jim Lee (X-Men), who also drew Batman "Hush". So people are real excited for that.

FeathersMcGraw

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2001
If you like Preacher, you might also like Transmetropolitan. It's set in the future, but has some of the same feel as far as its comedy elements.

A new Sandman hardcover just came out (Endless Nights?) but it's probably not the best read if you're not familiar with the characters. The first collection in the series is called Preludes and Nocturnes.

My current favorite books are Arrowsmith, The Inhumans, Powers, and Planetary.

Rob9874

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 1999
Originally posted by: FeathersMcGraw
If you like Preacher, you might also like Transmetropolitan. It's set in the future, but has some of the same feel as far as its comedy elements.

A new Sandman hardcover just came out (Endless Nights?) but it's probably not the best read if you're not familiar with the characters. The first collection in the series is called Preludes and Nocturnes.

Oh yeah, I forgot about Powers. Its writer, Brian Michael Bendis, also wrote early Ultimate Spiderman issues, which was also hot.

LordJezo

Banned
May 16, 2001
I am reading Trigun now.. it's just getting translated into english for the first time. Finished the newly translated Akira before that.

If it's American comics you want get "Watchmen" as it is a pretty good book. "Rising Stars" by the guy who wrote Babalyon 5 is also great, but it was never completed. :(

Arkitech

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2000
Originally posted by: Rob9874
Originally posted by: FeathersMcGraw

Oh yeah, I forgot about Powers. Its writer, Brian Michael Bendis, also wrote early Ultimate Spiderman issues, which was also hot.

I really like Bendis, I collected all of the Alias issues which was a great read.

Yaotl

Jul 7, 2001
and preacher will be played by cyclops from x-men the movie. so damn dissappointing. it's a good comic though. and as always, i recommend grendel. just because i like it that much.

Arkitech

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2000
Originally posted by: Yaotl
and preacher will be played by cyclops from x-men the movie. so damn dissappointing. it's a good comic though. and as always, i recommend grendel. just because i like it that much.

whats grendel about?

Joemonkey

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2001
you will NOT be disappointed by the preacher series, it is my favorite book ever

If you want good old stuff, check out Poison Elves