Any Chevy Equinox owners?

kyparrish

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2003
Just wondering if anybody has any positive or negative or whatever comments about the Equinox, it seems to be exactly what we've been looking for, we have it for an overnight test drive and love it, and the pricing is RIGHT.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
I'd look at the Saturn Vue w/ the 3.5L outsourced from Honda before I pulled the trigger on the clunker 3.4L piecemealed together and built in china that's in the Equinox.

kyparrish

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2003
Originally posted by: vi_edit
I'd look at the Saturn Vue w/ the 3.5L outsourced from Honda before I pulled the trigger on the clunker 3.4L piecemealed together and built in china that's in the Equinox.

Wow, strong convictions much?

The 3.5L Honda motor would be nice, but my wife doesn't need a 250hp engine in her vehicle (the 185 from the 3.4L is plenty), it feels very solid (fine with the whole crossover thing, that's what we both want), and the Chevy was built in Canada.

On top of that I'm sure the 3.5L Vue is out of our price range.

And the 2005 Equinox is an Editors choice on edmunds.com with higher ratings than the Vue.

So.........

PCMarine

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2002
I personally wouldn't be able to spend a ton of money on a vehicle knowing that its "second-rate" engineering... only 184 hp from a 3.4, come on now GM

Christobevii3

Aug 29, 2004
Originally posted by: PCMarine
I personally wouldn't be able to spend a ton of money on a vehicle knowing that its "second-rate" engineering... only 184 hp from a 3.4, come on now GM

You realize not everyone wants a high compression motor that uses premium? Lower compression ratio means more reliability.

That being said, the 3.4L is a terrible motor.

Treyshadow

Jan 31, 2000
I have had one when travelling almost every other week for the past 4 months. I would say its a pretty nice car. One of the ones I had had a shimmy in the steering, but it just needed the tires rotated and balanced (had 24K miles). I appreciate the drive, but I still prefer my trailblazer when I get home.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
First and foremost, what is your budget? I have absolutely nothing agains the Equinox or GM in general, but it's just rough around a lot of edges.

kyparrish

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2003
Budget is around $15k, with a little bit of range. KBB on the model we drove is $17.4, I've got them down to $14.9 and I'm also getting $4800 for my wife's 2002 Kia Optima that will pay off the existing loan (KBB on hers is $4300, I told them I didn't want to roll the neg. equity to the new loan). I feel like I've done everything I can and have been a real stickler, including the use of akward silence :Q

kyparrish

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2003
Originally posted by: vi_edit
AWD or FWD, and do you need/want leather?

FWD (don't need AWD here in North Carolina, when it snows 2 inches everything shuts down).

Don't need or want leather. Really honestly like the exterior styling. Standard fog lamps, roof rack, front grill, love the rear end (especially the Euro tails), like the color (silver). Interior is very roomy, the fascia around the stereo/heating and air has a few spots of discoloration that I am going to get them to try and fix. Looks like the whole thing can come off and be painted. I'll do it if they don't :)

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Christobevii3

You realize not everyone wants a high compression motor that uses premium? Lower compression ratio means more reliability.

First part kinda true, 2nd not.

The current 3.4L motor is fine. Its orgins come from as far back as the 2.8L Carb motor. It has been upgraded MANY times over and over since then. It is not super high HP motor or high tech, but a good and reliable motor non the less.

The Chevy Equinox is also real nice for what they sell for. What milage and price are you looking at?

Mermaidman

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
It's a decent vehicle, so I'd say go for it at the right price. Buy used domestic vehicles FTW!

PAB

Banned
Dec 4, 2002
Originally posted by: kyparrish
Budget is around $15k, with a little bit of range. KBB on the model we drove is $17.4, I've got them down to $14.9 and I'm also getting $4800 for my wife's 2002 Kia Optima that will pay off the existing loan (KBB on hers is $4300, I told them I didn't want to roll the neg. equity to the new loan). I feel like I've done everything I can and have been a real stickler, including the use of akward silence :Q

Average book is about $14k, and this is last month's data. I'd try to go down some more.

kyparrish

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2003
36k miles, pricing listed above...

We realized when we got home with it tonight that the website had listed it as 33k miles.....printed that sheet out, can you say "Getting some more knocked off?!?!?!?!"

kyparrish

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2003
Originally posted by: PAB
Originally posted by: kyparrish

Average book is about $14k, and this is last month's data. I'd try to go down some more.

hmm, will look into that...I saw the value at $17K+ earlier if it was in excellent condition.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
My wife and I looked in this class and ended up spending the extra $ on a Toyota Highlander.

According to Edmunds you could probably squeek into an '05 FWD for around $15k with some tough negotiating.

We went with the highlander because it had a more functional layout than the Chevy and things just felt more "solid". The saftest car on the road rating by the insurance companies didn't hurt either. The 3.3L in there seems to have a bit more gusto to it than the 3.4L in the Equinox.

The worst thing that about the Equinox was how the wheel hubs cut into cargo space in the back end. Plus just the little fit and finish stuff was pretty noticable between the Chevy and our Toyota.

kyparrish

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2003
Also, Carfax report was clean, should I take it to a trusted mechanic first thing in the morning for a once over? Or, should we just go with the carfax report?

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
You can get a used Honda CRV for cheaper. Nice for gas as well.

As for the Equinox, I think it has a nice exterior design. Not too sure about the interior. I would take the CRV over it, although the Equinox is one of the better SUVs out there.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Originally posted by: raildogg
You can get a used Honda CRV for cheaper. Nice for gas as well.

As for the Equinox, I think it has a nice exterior design. Not too sure about the interior. I would take the CRV over it.

CRV lacks the low end grunt of a V6 based midsize. CRV also gives up a little bit in passenger and cargo space to the larger "almost" midsize group.

BigSmooth

Lifer
Aug 18, 2000
I haven't driven an Equinox before, but I checked it out at the last car show I was at. I liked the look and the overall package for the price, although I've learned that I really do like having nicer materials in the interior than the Equinox offers.

My main concern with buying an early Equinox would be the reliability - if you put any stock in the various rating publications. JD Power gave the 2005 a 2 out of 5 in in overall initial quality. I also know that Consumer Reports' ratings say that Equinoxes had quite a few problems in their first year that were apparently later ironed out; Pontiac Torrents (which came out a year later) and subsequent Equinoxes have been more reliable according to CR.

CStan

Apr 1, 2002
I know you're not buying new, but the new Equinoxes (and torrents) have a new interior, and a completely revamped electronics system. The sport model is coming out next year too (with the same engine as the XL-7). Not sure if that would effect used car prices.

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
Originally posted by: Christobevii3

Not really - it is a good old torquey V6. Under powered comparatively, yes, but if the OP is happy with the power it is a fine motor.

DougK62

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2001
My father has one and loves it. It's been super reliable. His only complaint is that it's slow.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Originally posted by: DougK62
My father has one and loves it. It's been super reliable. His only complaint is that it's slow.

Tell him to drive a Rav4 or CRV. Me and my wife had a Toyota Rav4 and we had to turn the AC off to get it to move in the summer. Once we got up to speed we then turned it back on. And I am not joking.