Any chance to bypass TV-Out's 1024x768 in Radeons?

wayne00

Oct 9, 2007
Hi!
Well, the point is: I've got a few Radeons, 8500, 9700, X1550, X800. Their TV-Out limits output resolution to 1024x768, when I use greater res. on my desktop, the picture on TV is "virtual". I'm looking for a solution to force my TV to use the same resolution as my desktop, greater that 1024x768. Is it possible? Any specific version of drivers, any independent software tool, any specific ATI chipset?
I makes me angry, 'cause I've got also an old Nvidia Ti500 card, and it worked without any problems - why Ati makes such nuissance?
Of course, I'm aware of physical limits of TV screen, but I think, that there should be no problem to scale the picture to fit on TV - as Nvidia does?

Thanks in advance!

Peter

Elite Member
Oct 15, 1999
Exactly. The physical output resolution on SVideo is 480 lines interlaced (576i for PAL). Even what you thought is 1024x768 has been scaled down on the computer end, before going over the SVideo cable.

So if you want to run a higher physical resolution, you need some sort of HD link - component, VGA, DVI, HDMI. Quality increases left to right.

themisfit610

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2006
You guys are missing the point. He realizes the limitations of his TV and S-Video. He wants to have a higher resolution anyway, and have the card scale this to 480i. Why exactly, I don't know, but that's what he wants.

It's surprising to me that you can't force a higher resolution with a Radeon. I would imagine Powerstrip might give you extra functionality? Give it a try... Just out of curiosity, why do you want to do this?

~MiSfit

Peter

Elite Member
Oct 15, 1999
Well, the downscalers in the TV-out circuitry do have a technical limit in how far they stretch. ATI chips appear to be limited to 1024x768 source resolution in this.

SpaceHulk

Mar 26, 2002
If you wanted a hardware solution, someone in the FS/T forum was selling an ATi DVI to Component adapter for 10 bones which can output upto 1080i.

wayne00

Oct 9, 2007
well, it looks that we have some misunderstanding here. i'm sorry if i wrote something not clear.
hardware i'm using: crt monitor with 1600x1200, s-video cable and standard, few yars old TV.
what i have now: a few ati cards, each one displays only "virtual" desktop with 1024x768 window on my TV. i mean, tv shows only part of my desktop, i can move my mouse to scroll part of desktop shown on tv. i hope that it is now clear :)
what i had so far: old nvidia ti500 card, while using 1600x1200 on my monitor, i can also view all desktop on my tv. it was somehow "scaled" to fit on tv. i do not quite sure, how it was done.
what i would like to have: ability to view all my 1600x1200 desktop on my tv...

by writing "aware of physical limits of TV screen" i meant, that i know about standard PAL resolution, i do not want to force my tv to display 1600x1200 pixels instead of these about 600x500 :)

Peter: thank you for precise answer - it means no way to bypass this downscaling limit? Wow.. sad to hear about this :-(
Rest of guys: thanks for discussing about my questions, sorry for me being not enough precise to describe my problem. i thought it was quite clear, but then i read your answers and realized my fault. sorry again, please do not kick me :)

Yuriman

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2004
Why not, instead of setting it to clone, just extend your desktop? Drag things over to the TV that you want to see on the TV.