Any chance the R600 will run cooler than the X1900 series?

yacoub

Golden Member
May 24, 2005
Just wondering if ATi ever acknowledged that their cards run (too) hot and will be addressing that with the R600 series. I'm curious to know if the reason the X1900 series ran so hot was because they HAD to clock them that high to compete with the 7900 series. I'm guessing if they could have gotten away with lower clocks that ran cooler they would have.

I'm curious how much temperature improvement will be seen on the smaller die process.

The 8800 series is 90nm and seems to run fairly warm (anything above 66C is downright HOT, imho, and guaranteed to shorten the longterm lifespan of the product. Seeing as the X1900s that ran up toward 80C and higher started to run into artifacting and early deaths demonstrates that point rather well.)

I'd like to see the 80nm (maybe 65nm) R600 be powerful enough hardware-wise to not necessitate the clockspeeds that push it above 65C.

Considering the 7900 series ran relatively cool (my 7900GT KO doesn't pass 60C even under intense load) I see no reason DX10 cards with their much more powerful stream processing and GDDR4 and whatever else should run any hotter while outperforming the DX9 gen cards and utilizing a smaller die.

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
It's hard to tell.

Some have said it will need 300w, and if that's true, then it will release a *ton* of heat.

I read an interview with some AMD guy and he said it won't need even close to 300w.

It's 80nm and theoretically should run cooler than the 1950 cards, but seeing as it's probably going to use up a ton of transistors, I wouldn't bet on it.

High end cards are rarely if ever 'cool runnings'.

TanisHalfElven

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001
whats people's problem with temprature. i mean come on.
the same with power consumption. boohoo. if your gonna spend 500+ on a card be prepared to spend 80 on a good PSU.

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
Originally posted by: tanishalfelven
whats people's problem with temprature. i mean come on.
the same with power consumption. boohoo. if your gonna spend 500+ on a card be prepared to spend 80 on a good PSU.
Too much heat in your case can mess up your CPU overclocks and cause other components to fail.

yacoub

Golden Member
May 24, 2005
tanis:

*has nothing to do with a good PSU or power consumption, and everything to do with temperatures
*never said $500 card. was actually referring to the R600 product that will compete with the 8800GTS, so that means $250-300 (that will probably MSRP at $350 because it's "new" and MSRPs are almost always asinine)
*extra heat in the case is never good, especially for overclockers, as SickBeast mentioned
*inefficient design that runs so hot is poor design
*having to clock it so high that it runs into dangerous temps betrays architectural deficiencies that require higher clockspeeds to make up for them
*higher temps = greater chance of crashing, artifacting
*higher temps = shorter lifespan
*cooler cards have more overclocking headroom

So let's see how it does when it actually arrives. My question still stands: Has ATi acknowledged the hot nature of the X1900 and do you think they'll actually address that with the R600 series (assuming they can get good enough performance out of it without maxing out the clockspeeds on reference cards)

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
Originally posted by: yacoub
*never said $500 card. was actually referring to the R600 product that will compete with the 8800GTS, so that means $250-300 (that will probably MSRP at $350 because it's "new" and MSRPs are almost always asinine)
Have you even heard of any such card? I certainly haven't. I wouldn't hold my breath for one, either. It looks like ATI will have some $100 cards, some $200 cards, and some $500 cards, but nothing in between for quite some time to come.

yacoub

Golden Member
May 24, 2005
Well that would certainly be foolish as the biggest selling point for gamers (that is, gamers who play modern games) is around $250-300 (MSRP up to $350), because the cards around that price-point over the past couple years have been the ones able to play just about any game with decent settings. If they only come out with an overpriced high-end epeen card and then a couple low-end cards that would be shocking and they would lose the majority of their gaming base - namely the folks who are ready to buy an 8800GTS but have been holding out to see what R600 series card will compete with it and how well it does so.

7800GT, 7900GT, 8800GTS 320MB being cases in point.

Matt2

Diamond Member
Jul 28, 2001
I wouldnt bet on it putting out less heat than X1900 series.

I just hope AMD has a quiet(er) and efficient cooler for this thing.

The X1900 stock cooler could be the worst piece of engineering I have ever seen (or heard).

allies

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2002
Originally posted by: Matt2

The X1900 stock cooler could be the worst piece of engineering I have ever seen (or heard).

I thought the X1900 cooler was able to cool the chip to near aftermarket performance, and even closer after lapping...? Was I mistaken?

Matt2

Diamond Member
Jul 28, 2001
Originally posted by: allies

I thought the X1900 cooler was able to cool the chip to near aftermarket performance, and even closer after lapping...? Was I mistaken?

I was more referring to the noise.

ObscureCaucasian

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2006

My 1800XT (similar cooler) sounds like a race car.

aka1nas

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2001
Die temp has very little to do with either power consumption or actual heat exhausted into the case. Remember that die temperature is a function not only of thermal dissipation but also of die size. A smaller die with the same TDP as a larger chip will exhaust the same amount of heat into your case but run a hotter die temp.

Munky

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2005
I dont mind the heat as long as the cooler isn't loud. The g80 cards don't exactly run cool either.

yacoub

Golden Member
May 24, 2005
Originally posted by: SickBeast
Originally posted by: yacoub
Have you even heard of any such card? I certainly haven't. I wouldn't hold my breath for one, either. It looks like ATI will have some $100 cards, some $200 cards, and some $500 cards, but nothing in between for quite some time to come.

From the CeBit interview article:

Vijay Sharma: I think I'll say that it'll cover the full spectrum of price points so you'll have the best DX10 available in the value-space, mainstream, performance and enthusiast.

Zstream

Diamond Member
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: SickBeast
It's hard to tell.

Some have said it will need 300w, and if that's true, then it will release a *ton* of heat.

I read an interview with some AMD guy and he said it won't need even close to 300w.

It's 80nm and theoretically should run cooler than the 1950 cards, but seeing as it's probably going to use up a ton of transistors, I wouldn't bet on it.

High end cards are rarely if ever 'cool runnings'.

Come on guys, use your brain a bit.

Well for starters R600 power consumption is still unknown, but reportedly works on 2x 6pin neverminding what physical connectors it has (there has been those fulll length oem boards with both 1x 8pin 1x 6pin & 2x 6pin configurations), which means that 230W is wrong as 2x 6pin's theoretical max is 225W. That is with the PCIE giving 75w.

ChaoticBeauty Futuremark forums.

You can not come up with power from no where you know :)

allies

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2002

I thought you were referring to engineering. From a ME standpoint, I think it would be considered a good job, from an IE, eh, probably not so much :)