Any Catholics here?

preCRT

Platinum Member
Apr 12, 2000
Do you support the papacy no matter what?

Do you feel the church is being unfairly bashed for the sin of protecting pedophile priests instead of protecting the innocent victims?

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
No they are not being unfairly bashed. If history has taught us anything they should have been bashed more much sooner and much harder.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
The Church is not unfairly bashed in terms of how it handled the pedophile priests, but it does get singled out more than other (smaller) organizations. Do you really think it's any different with any other organization? They just have the visibility and the numbers, and on top of that they handled it very very very poorly.

It's not a matter of supporting the pope no matter what. The pope is merely a representation of Christ, and yes, I support Christ no matter what, I don't give a crap about what the current political correctness doctrine demands.

Queue the religion and Catholic bashers in 5.....4.....3....

ebaycj

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2002
No they are not being unfairly bashed. If history has taught us anything they should have been bashed more much sooner and much harder.

They certainly should have. My opinion? I would have crucified them backwards (facing the cross), with a 6in (diameter) steel pipe (and a makeshift 60-grit sandpaper condom on it) shoved up their ass. Let them bleed out from that.

Sick fucks. Who molests little boys?

ZzZGuy

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2006
Do you feel the church is being unfairly bashed for the sin of protecting pedophile priests instead of protecting the innocent victims?

What? Are you that dense?

What happened back in the day your parents would beat you if you told them the priest was touching you in bad places? They'd ignore the issue, blame the child and tell them to shut up. When it did become a issue what did they do? Move the priest to somewhere else where he could start all over again with the abused children forgotten. This continued until people realized what was going up and they could no longer get away with it, so all they are doing is covering their asses because they HAVE to or get sued into oblivion. Even now they want "internal investigation and punishment" which means they can hide it if no one knows about it and give slaps on the wrist.

I am a Roman Catholic and I don't follow my religion and consider many of the people in the top ranks to be quite evil bastards who will burn in hell if there is one. There needs to be a investigation into the Catholic church in every country where even a single case of child abuse was reported and if the pope knew what was going on and did nothing then arrest him.

Still waiting for the biblical quote where this whole "institution" is justified.

-edit- This is also off topic, not P&N. I also fell for the troll bait >_< -/edit-

Last edited:

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
They certainly should have. My opinion? I would have crucified them backwards (facing the cross), with a 6in (diameter) steel pipe (and a makeshift 60-grit sandpaper condom on it) shoved up their ass. Let them bleed out from that.

Sick fucks. Who molests little boys?

*looks at avatar*

Why am I not surprised? Throw them in jail for life without parole and they'll get plenty of chances to experience what they did to those boys first-hand.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
The Church is not unfairly bashed in terms of how it handled the pedophile priests, but it does get singled out more than other (smaller) organizations. Do you really think it's any different with any other organization? They just have the visibility and the numbers, and on top of that they handled it very very very poorly.

It's not a matter of supporting the pope no matter what. The pope is merely a representation of Christ, and yes, I support Christ no matter what, I don't give a crap about what the current political correctness doctrine demands.

Very well said.

MJinZ

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2009

What other organizations have any pedophiles at all? Are you going to say other Christian Churches? Because that might actually be true.

brandonb

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2006

1) No. Once you learn about God, you no longer support any man no matter what. I quit going to my catholic church because the arch bishop of my state removed one of my favorite priests because the arch bishop demanded the priests to teach a class on the topic of sexuality to help easy the strain of "pedophile priests" and he refused. He thought a priest should not teach anything regarding sexuality, as they abstain.

2) I believe there have been pedophile priests, but I also believe it has been blown way out of proportion. All in all, I believe the percentages of priests molesting anybody is far far less than any other organization out there that has dealings with children. Be it school teachers, daycare, coaches, etc.

My opinion is that the church is ill prepared for the ways of the world as they are today. They are under fire from every organization, and have issues themselves, and I believe they would rather just sweep it under the rug and forget that there is an issue than to address it. I also believe that others are out to bring down the church, so they use it as ammo...

In any case, I feel its a sad situation.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
1) No. Once you learn about God, you no longer support any man no matter what. I quit going to my catholic church because the arch bishop of my state removed one of my favorite priests because the arch bishop demanded the priests to teach a class on the topic of sexuality to help easy the strain of "pedophile priests" and he refused. He thought a priest should not teach anything regarding sexuality, as they abstain.

2) I believe there have been pedophile priests, but I also believe it has been blown way out of proportion. All in all, I believe the percentages of priests molesting anybody is far far less than any other organization out there that has dealings with children. Be it school teachers, daycare, coaches, etc.

My opinion is that the church is ill prepared for the ways of the world as they are today. They are under fire from every organization, and have issues themselves, and I believe they would rather just sweep it under the rug and forget that there is an issue than to address it. I also believe that others are out to bring down the church, so they use it as ammo...

And you missed the whole thing, I guess by being biased.

The major problem was never about numbers, but how it was handled. What would think if the school system had compliants about a teacher and just kept sending him from one school and compliants to the next, or a daycare, sporting group, etc... I have never heard or seen anything like that except what the Cathloic church did.

It was not about the act, but the coverup that allowed it to go on and on...

MJinZ

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2009

Cognitive Dissonance.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005

What other organizations have any pedophiles at all? Are you going to say other Christian Churches? Because that might actually be true.

ALL ORGANIZATIONS have them, especially the ones that provide an opportunity for interactions with kids (boy/girl scouts, YMCA, teachers etc). It's logical that the pedo's would seek out those kinds of organizations, but they are in every walk of life and every organization. Anyone who has a problem with the Church because of that is ignorant. The problem is with how the issues were handled, the Church has (correctly) been taken to task for that.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
I am sure any sizable organization has a share of pedophiles and other creeps. Any individual that interfered with the investigation / prosecution should be punished. This goes for every group.

preCRT

Platinum Member
Apr 12, 2000
I didn't post this as troll bait, I wanted others' opinions. I was given a rash and shit by some blind overly defensive Catholics claiming that I was bashing their church because I believe that the way the church hierarchy handled the molestation mess was criminal, hypocritical, and it was systemically rotten to the core. Claiming to protect the innocent when you protect the predator instead, proves the hypocrisy. The fact that this didn't occur in just one parish, but across the board and in multiple countries, proves it was a deliberate action sanctioned by those in charge. That unlike other religions with freedom of choice over hiring and firing, this was the approved system wide policy.

These whiny folks were so defensive that they couldn't differentiate between criticism of the hierarchy and criticism of their own personal beliefs. According to them, the buck doesn't stop at the Pope's desk because he & the church can do no wrong. But as the saying goes, a fish rots from the head down.

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007

What other small organizations are providing sanctuary for pedophiles huh? And how does that make it any better for the catholics? It makes sense to single out the largest organization, after all they always talk so much shit about protecting children that it makes the whole situation worse. My family is catholic and the way they deny it even happened makes me sick. I stopped practicing because people don't even follow the religion anymore, they just follow whatever crap the current senile pope spews out.

Isn't it a bit hypocritical for the same organization that so vehemently opposes abortion to sanction sexually abusing children? It doesn't matter to catholics though, since the pope said it was ok they'll just go on calling people baby killers while children who are already alive are being traumatized by their sick priesthood. Catholics like you made me quit the religion, instead of condemning the pope for this sick crap you're trying to divert attention and start talking about following christ, but I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have protected pedophiles like the pope is. Quit making excuses for this garbage, it's so pathetic how you act like you're being unfairly persecuted because your religion is protecting pedophiles, you deserve to be persecuted for sick shit like that.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Well many here take exception to the fact that its not only clergy in the professional ranks that molestation occurs it happens in all walks of life.

Let us not forget the witch hunts. One only needed to be accussed to be found guility. Now how many of these accusers in your true opinion gave testimony to the truth?
Bob.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004

No.

No.

They should be bashed until there is change.

preCRT

Platinum Member
Apr 12, 2000
Well many here take exception to the fact that its not only clergy in the professional ranks that molestation occurs it happens in all walks of life.

Let us not forget the witch hunts. One only needed to be accussed to be found guility. Now how many of these accusers in your true opinion gave testimony to the truth?
Bob.

Other groups don't give sanctuary to the guilty, they turn them over to the police.

Jadow

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2003
I'm a catholic, I don't think they're being unfairly bashed and they definitely have a problem that they have been slow to address.

That being said, I still go to mass and put $10 in the collection bowl every week. I don't think it's right to punish my parish or my Priest for the sins of the church hierarchy.

Ohh and people who say they believe in god, but don't believe in "organized religion" I wonder what they are really doing, that's totally lazy. Going to church allows you to participate in the church community which can be immensely satisfying.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
I didn't post this as troll bait, I wanted others' opinions. I was given a rash and shit by some blind overly defensive Catholics claiming that I was bashing their church because I believe that the way the church hierarchy handled the molestation mess was criminal, hypocritical, and it was systemically rotten to the core. Claiming to protect the innocent when you protect the predator instead, proves the hypocrisy. The fact that this didn't occur in just one parish, but across the board and in multiple countries, proves it was a deliberate action sanctioned by those in charge. That unlike other religions with freedom of choice over hiring and firing, this was the approved system wide policy.

These whiny folks were so defensive that they couldn't differentiate between criticism of the hierarchy and criticism of their own personal beliefs. According to them, the buck doesn't stop at the Pope's desk because he & the church can do no wrong. But as the saying goes, a fish rots from the head down.

nice troll thread......
There are a lot of fine people who are catholics who agree that the church handled this wrong accross the board.

Yet they are still catholics who Love God and pray everyday for the church and the Pope......

So why are you being a whiny trollish idiot.....
Suck it up and move on!

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005

at this point its very hard for me to defend the church. the upper leadership is pretty much blind as fuck to the bible and their followers. There really is no biblical reason to why there shouldn't be female priests, or married priests for that matter, not to mention birth control, etc. having a more open view on those issues alone would solve alot of the problems in the church today. it's no use in arguing with those type of people, but there are alot of catholics that feel the same way that are pretty upset about the church right now, believe me.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
at this point its very hard for me to defend the church. the upper leadership is pretty much blind as fuck to the bible and their followers. There really is no biblical reason to why there shouldn't be female priests, or married priests for that matter, not to mention birth control, etc. having a more open view on those issues alone would solve alot of the problems in the church today. it's no use in arguing with those type of people, but there are alot of catholics that feel the same way that are pretty upset about the church right now, believe me.

This is coming from somebody who has no freaking clue what they are talking about...

Some of what you say is true...some of what you say is formulated by sheer ignorance of the scriptures.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
The church has attacked the victims in attempts to protect the priests.

Even when the issue was clearly in the public eye; efforts were being made to protect the preits and bury the issue and buy off the victims.

The Vatican itself was still in denial of the problem and continued to protect/promote those involved in coverups.

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
This is coming from somebody who has no freaking clue what they are talking about...

Some of what you say is true...some of what you say is formulated by sheer ignorance of the scriptures.
im not even going to bother going any further in an online religion thread.