Any car salesmen here? Question about car allowance

Mar 15, 2003
So I just got a job as a salesman at a dealership.. Not a very prestigious job, but I needed a change of pace from a desk job and let's see how it goes, I'll probably run screaming back to a cubicle before long. A demo car allowance ($400/month) was mentioned during the hiring and I'm not quite sure what that means. I'm sure HR will fill me in on details on monday but, coincidentally, I'm in the market for a new (to me) commuter car and was going to buy a beater over the weekend. Can someone share some info about what allowances generally entail in the industry, so I don't blow a few grand on a 98 civic needlessly (I kinda need the car right away, have 1 car and my wife uses it daily and my new gigs a good 30 miles away with no public transport). Does "demo car allowance" = you don't really own the car at the end of the day? Does that go toward financing? A lease?

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
No idea about you're situation but I would NEVER trust any dealership to not screw their customers or employees.

<<<<high interest loan guy, 29 years....damn, I'm old.

KBB.com for used car prices.

Reactions: x26

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
A little off topic but you should invest in Cardone University. Grants services are geared towards people who sell.

Grant started selling cars at 25. He's 56 now. Worth over $100m and has $500m worth of rental property in his portfolio. He's a little cocky. Tries to upsell his items all the time, but if you can get pass that you'll see his products are excellent. He's talked at Google, LinkedIn, CNBC. Forbes, Merle Lynch and many other big companies.

His course at Cardone U runs about $1k a year. I believe thats only a year contract. Or, if you don't want to invest that much money you should check out his books 10X Rule, Sell or be Sold, and If You're Not First, You're Last. The last 2 were on the NY times but seller list. Sell or be Sold is an awesome book for sales. I have it and love it. I don't even do sales. Good luck.

Mar 15, 2003
Wow! Thanks so much for this post. I was a real estate agent years ago before I went back to IT and, let me tell you - I loved it! Sales is a lot like hunting to me, looking forward to checking Cardone U out!