Any campers here? I'm looking for a decent tent.

Mears

Platinum Member
Mar 9, 2000
I'm looking to buy a decent tent. I'd like it to be a bigger one. Three rooms would be nice, but it's not necessary. Ideally it would also hold 5-8 people. I'm trying to stay at $200 and below. If anyone knows of any good ones that fit this price range, I'd appreciate it.

Killbat

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2000
I guess what you're really after is a dark spot, but that can mean psychologically, not just "unlighted". If there's a cubbyhole or corner where you imagine a player is not likely to check, take that spot. Get inside the hunters' minds, and act accordingly.
Of course, above all, DONT MOVE. Sound and motion are your enemy!

kami

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I'm not too up to date on the world of tents but we have this 7 or 8 person Spalding tent that's pretty nice. It also has this reflective material on top, so if your tent is in the sun at all, it doesn't get as hot inside.

JACKHAMMER

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
I would advise against getting such a big tent. They are for sleeping in, and nothing else. That said I would recommend a Kelty (streamside or vortex) 3 or 4 man. Yes, it has only one room. But, a good tent will always make you hapy come morning. Don't buy any crap aka wilson, spalding, coleman, etc. Anything that can be had at Sears or Kmart is not worth the money. If you need to sleep more, buy two.

kami

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
jackhammer, our tent is 4 years old..used it over a dozen times...still works fine :confused:
he also said under $200. some people just camp casually and dont need to spend outrageous amounts on these supposedly better tents, plus why are you trying to talk him into a smaller one. maybe he needs to sleep that many people. thread crapper! :p;)

<-- loves crappy tire (aka Canadian Tire)

JACKHAMMER

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
The tent I mentioned is under $200. The fact is in very inclimate weather, cheap tent w/ no rain flys will not hold up - it will leak. Plus, if you are backpaking try carrying one of those 8 man behemoths on yor bak ;) . In all seriousness, with discounters on the net, you can get a very good tent cheap. And, having two four mans is better than one 8 man in my book.

edit - I also noticed you have only used your tent a dozen times in years. I have used mine that many times this summer. I realise that some are casual campers, and your tent is fine for you (and me if I only camped a few times a year) but he wanted advice, and I know tents. That is all :)

Carbo

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2000
Any one of my mother in law's house dresses will suffice for up to ten individuals. And guaranteed bug proof because of the No-Pest Strips she is required to wear in her undergarments.

MrBond

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
Jackhammer, where online do you suggest picking up a tent? I'm looking for one to replace my old and leaky tent with. I've got a dome tent as well, but it's just as old and maybe just as leaky...Proably looking at a 3-4 man dome tent, as they own't be hard to pack on a trip.

nickdakick

Platinum Member
Jun 27, 2000

<< I guess what you're really after is a dark spot, but that can mean psychologically, not just &quot;unlighted&quot;. If there's a cubbyhole or corner where you imagine a player is not likely to check, take that spot. Get inside the hunters' minds, and act accordingly. >>

LOL @ killbat that was my first thought too. :D
No campers please ! ;)