Any California Vets here?

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
I'd take him if I could. I'm in Pa though.

https://petrescuereport.com/2019/ve...ied-now-he-is-in-isolation-at-animal-control/

1565974419563.png

Veteran’s service dog was by his side until he died – now he is in isolation at animal control

A Vietnam veteran’s faithful service dog was with his owner on the day that the man died…and he refused to leave his side. Now, the devoted dog is locked away in isolation at a California animal control agency. Riley, a nine-year-old retriever mix, is described as “very agitated” at the facility. Can you imagine his confusion and frustration? He doesn’t know what happened to his person and he is locked up, unable to get back to the man that he loved.

Riley is in need of help – he needs a reputable rescue group to save him from an unthinkable fate. An advocate has shared what is known of Riley’s story:

He was found lying next to the man who served his country with the same distinction, days after he died. Riley was fiercely loyal and protective of this soldier and since his next of kin was unable to care for Riley, he was brought to the shelter. We must treat our veterans better-both human and canine. Please share Riley’s story. He needs a reason to live.​

You can help!
You have the ability to help this devoted dog get the help that he needs. Networking saves lives!! Please share this article and help Riley find a rescue group to take him in.

Petharbor link here.

For more information about this animal, call:
San Bernardino City Animal Control at (909) 384-1304
Ask for information about animal ID number A396891

San Bernardino City Animal Shelter, 333 Chandler Place, San Bernardino, CA
Telephone: (909) 384-1304

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Aw crap. I'm in a no pets building. :(

I'll post this around here. Though Riverside county is a hike from here.

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
I'm not sure of the date they'll put him to sleep.

Call the shelter to find out how much time he has left, and let them know you're working to get him a home.

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
does it have to be a vet or can anyone who needs a service dog adopt him? or just anyone. not in CA but would consider if I was and allowed to.

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
Anybody can get Riley ( I think) but Vet dogs do get additional training, and there's a shortage of them in some areas. I figured I might have better luck by reaching out to fellow vets.

Location doesn't matter, I was taking travel/transport costs into consideration.

Last edited: