Any benefit of oil change every 3,000 miles as opposed to the mfr recommendation?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Amused
Originally posted by: dirtboy
My car has a default change cycle of full synthetic every 7,000 miles. It has an oil sensor in it that will adjust the time based on my driving habits.

I routinely drive short distances in stop and go traffic. The sensor extended my limit past 7,000 the first time and it's looking like the next will be over 7,000 miles again.

Now if the engineer who designed the engine said I should change it every 7,000 miles, who do you think is more right: you or them? I'd have to say that if the engineer felt like it needed to be changed every 7,000 miles then you should.

My roommate used to have a BMW and under their free maintenance program, they wouldn't change the oil until he reached 15,000 miles, which was recommened by BMW. Should he have changed it sooner? I don't think so...

Exactly.

Cars that come with free service have VASTLY longer intervals than cars that do not.

Answer the why to this question, and you'll have the answer to this entire thread.
There is no "sensor" on the planet that can tell you when your oil needs to be changed.

It's still a guess. It's programmed with the same logic that you're supposed to apply when you read your service manual...

All I'm trying to say is that there are certainly instances where a shorter interval is warranted. The only way to truely know is to get your oil analyzed.

Because of this, the only thing you have to go on is worst case. In the worst case, you will need to change your oil after 3750 miles.

It's not really that hard to understand. You can say that it's overkill for "most" drivers, but not all.

Also remember that you can't always go on miles alone. We had the oil in my Dad's Camry analyzed after 4800 miles.... and 8 months. Obviously, he takes short trips.

Because of this, the oil was 2% fuel, borderline absolutely unacceptable. That's why short trips are the worst, and highway travel is important.

TheLonelyPhoenix

Diamond Member
Feb 15, 2004
Originally posted by: Eli
Also remember that you can't always go on miles alone. We had the oil in my Dad's Camry analyzed after 4800 miles.... and 8 months. Obviously, he takes short trips.

Because of this, the oil was 2% fuel, borderline absolutely unacceptable. That's why short trips are the worst, and highway travel is important.

The thread should end with this, but I predict Amused won't let it unless he's accused someone else of wasting money once more.

Eli

Oct 9, 1999
:roll:

Fine, Eli. Keep throwing away your money.

Meanwhile, in all of the cars I have owned, none have had engine trouble, and none have burned a drop of oil. None had their oil changed in more than 7500 mile intervals.

All were driven a mixture of city and highway. Some were in the southwest, others in the southeast, and a few in the Midwest.

You're falling for marketing BS and CYA warranty bullsh!t.

But if that makes you feel better, so be it. Like I said, keep throwing away your money.
You don't understand.

I am not guessing, I actually have my oil analyzed. I am NOT falling for "marketing BS and CYA warranty bullsh!t". It doesen't have anything to do with the warranty, lol.

There are TOO many variables! Even the individual engines of the same type are a variable...

Just because it works for you that way does not mean it will work for everyone else that way. lol

It could be the filters you use. It could be the oil you use.. It could be the way you drive, or the ammount you travel... Too many variables.

Do what works for you. I think you've completely misunderstood me... I don't change my oil because they tell me to. I'm not guessing, I'm making informed decisions. As I said before, I don't believe in the universal 3,000 mile interval. I try and help people make informed decisions based on their driving habbits and conditions.

That is NOT what you are doing, because just as a universal 3,000 mile interval is not appropriate, neither is a universal 7,500 mile interval. Get it?

Where did you come up with the 7500 mile interval? You pulled it out of your ass, just like you claim they do.. Why not try for 10k? 15, 20k?

heh.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
question: I go to Joe Schmo service station and they use some brand of oil I've never heard of (not that I've heard of many). Is this a bad thing or are most oils the same anyway (other than synthetic)?

Eli

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: rh71
question: I go to Joe Schmo service station and they use some brand of oil I've never heard of (not that I've heard of many). Is this a bad thing or are most oils the same anyway (other than synthetic)?
It's not necessarily a bad thing, but it's not really good either.

Understand this:

Synthetic is not universally better than conventional. There are certainly petroleum oils that are better than synthetic oils.

You cannot compare oils of the same brand of different viscosities, let alone oils of different brands of the same viscosity...

For example, Havoline's 5W-30 may be worse than their 10W-30. That's not the case, just an example.. but it does hold true in some cases. Different formulations, different specifications.

Eli

Oct 9, 1999

If you're doing an oil change twice as often, or more, than you need to, you're throwing away money. It really is that simple.
I'll agree with you here, but what is "need to"?

It's different for everybody, don't you understand that?

Plasdom

Jul 17, 2004
Originally posted by: shortylickens
Fine, Eli. Keep throwing away your money.

Meanwhile, in all of the cars I have owned, none have had engine trouble, and none have burned a drop of oil. None had their oil changed in more than 7500 mile intervals.

All were driven a mixture of city and highway. Some were in the southwest, others in the southeast, and a few in the Midwest.

You're falling for marketing BS and CYA warranty bullsh!t.

But if that makes you feel better, so be it. Like I said, keep throwing away your money.
I deleted the little roll eyes because I hate them.

How is this wasting money?

I spend $35 on oil every 3000 miles, and gas goes for about 2.45 a gallon where I live. My
Mazda Protege 5 gets 27-29 Miles per gallon. I pay 186 every six months for insurance, which is damn good in CA. (By californian standards I am an exemplary driver. :) )
Damn. How old are you/which insurance company are you with and why such a low rate?

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001

OK, I'll grant that I left out time in my statements. It should read 7500 miles, or 6 months, which ever comes first.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001

If you're doing an oil change twice as often, or more, than you need to, you're throwing away money. It really is that simple.
I'll agree with you here, but what is "need to"?

It's different for everybody, don't you understand that?

Yes, I do. And I believe 7500/6 months for modern cars is the minimum, not maximum.

Unless someone is racing, or running off road all the time, I can't see ANY reason to change it more often.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Originally posted by: Plasdom
Damn. How old are you/which insurance company are you with and why such a low rate?
[/quote]USAA. Its only available to active duty and retired personnel.

25. Driving since 16. Never married. No accidents of any kind. Only one speeding ticket. (Again, by CA standards I am 'Exemplary'. )
Also I only put 8,000 a year on my car, which USAA considers low mileage.
I am an E-5 in the Navy, which gets me a good starting rate.

All the other details cut the regular rate by about half.
I have Full coverage: $60,000/$120,000 and uninsured motorist and roadside.
All together that gets me about $186 every six months. Again a great price in CA.

HOWEVER, IF I ever have an accident (regardless of fault), USAA will not be a good deal anymore. For minor problems, Geico is usually a little more tolerant.

EDIT: Dont worry, USAA is a private corporation. Your tax dollars are NOT subsidizing my costs. ;)

Sep 29, 2004
Originally posted by: NeoPTLD
The manual says change oil every 5,000 miles for my type of driving pattern. It doesn't hurt to change every 3,000 miles, but would you guys say there's any benefit from it?

HAhahhaa, I change it 5,000 to 10,000 miles. Should I check my manual? All the ratings are way overblown. There isa safety factor built in and an influence from big oil and warrranties that manufacturers don't want to loose money on.... I'm 45,000 miles into my 2003 Chevy and have about 4-5 oil changes so far.

Sep 29, 2004
Originally posted by: Mildlyamused
No it will improve the engine's life span. Producing oil waste isn't that big of a deal because of the fact that most people (if your smart) recycle their oil...

1) I am not keeping my vehicle past 150K miles
2) I will trade it in
3) what does the dealership know/care?

Sep 29, 2004
Originally posted by: Pacfanweb
Originally posted by: redly1
who gives a crap unless you plan on keeping the car for 150k plus miles

seriously, when was the last time you heard of someone having an oil related engine failure? Exceptions being idiots that change their oil every 10-20k miles or let the oil run way too low
When changed properly, never. Nobody here can name one time.

Unless the engine ceases up, you at most will jsut loose some HP. And what does that matter?

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
really depends on driving habits. if you make the tiny trips it might be worth it to change at 3000k. the manuals suggestions for harsh/moderate/light driving are sorta vague anyways. oil is below a dollar a quart if you cut a coupon from the paper printed every other week for say kragens or whatever auto chain. supertech filter is 2 dollars at wally world. if you do it yourself its no burden at all.

Apex

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
www.gotapex.com
Originally posted by: shortylickens
Originally posted by: Plasdom
USAA. Its only available to active duty and retired personnel.

25. Driving since 16. Never married. No accidents of any kind. Only one speeding ticket. (Again, by CA standards I am 'Exemplary'. )
Also I only put 8,000 a year on my car, which USAA considers low mileage.
I am an E-5 in the Navy, which gets me a good starting rate.

All the other details cut the regular rate by about half.
I have Full coverage: $60,000/$120,000 and uninsured motorist and roadside.
All together that gets me about $186 every six months. Again a great price in CA.

HOWEVER, IF I ever have an accident (regardless of fault), USAA will not be a good deal anymore. For minor problems, Geico is usually a little more tolerant.

EDIT: Dont worry, USAA is a private corporation. Your tax dollars are NOT subsidizing my costs. ;)[/quote]

Best company around, wish I qualified.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
There is no "sensor" on the planet that can tell you when your oil needs to be changed.

yes there is...but it's WAY too expensive to put in every car :p

JBT

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
I change mine when I feel like it. Typically around 5000 miles. I have let it go to 6000 before but I decided to get it changed. After readying this thread I think I might let it get to 6000 more often.