Any alternatives to Spybot S&D?

johnjohn320

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2001
EDIT: Let me change the direction of this thread: Are there any FREE alternatives to Spybot S&D? I know there's more spyware on my computer than it's finding, but I don't have money for another program.

Hey all,

I know I have some sort of spyware or virus or something because my homepage has changed and I constantly get grotesque pop-up ads, no matter what site i'm on. I change my homepage back to the default, but next time I start IE it has changed back to the new site. I had Norton run a full scan, it found nothing. I ran Spybot S&D, and it found a bunch of stuff, which I got rid of it all. However, one of them, even after being fixed, keeps coming back, which makes no sense.

Any help? Thanks guys.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Did you follow all the advice in the stickies thread uptop?

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Did you read / follow the sticky thread at the top of this forum?

(edit) great minds type alike, but some type faster :)

Sundog

Lifer
Nov 20, 2000
There is a new IE Hijack that none of the programs in the thread above will fix (have run hijack this, cws shredder, spybot, adware, etc.). Hijack-this is the only one that even picked it up.

HiJack-This can see it and fix it only to have everything reappear the next time you open up explorer.

Here is a log:
Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7
Scan saved at 10:18:35 PM, on 6/16/2004
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = res://C:\WINDOWS\tjhmp.dll/sp.html#96676
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = res://tjhmp.dll/index.html#96676
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = res://tjhmp.dll/index.html#96676
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = res://C:\WINDOWS\tjhmp.dll/sp.html#96676
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = res://tjhmp.dll/index.html#96676
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = res://C:\WINDOWS\tjhmp.dll/sp.html#96676

johnjohn320: Does your start page then look like this--->Scroll down for screen shot.

Mine looks very similar but not exact. I have been looking through some of the spyware sites and the variant out now looks to be new without a plausible cure yet.:(

Looney

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
A member since '01, over 5000 posts, and you still don't know how to use the stickies or search function.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: DaveSimmons
Did you read / follow the sticky thread at the top of this forum?

(edit) great minds type alike, but some type faster :)

Some of us are just on a fatter pipe :D