Question Any AI Mesh experts ?

rsutoratosu

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2011
Need help on config. So the traditional setup is LAN to WAN of node using ethernet back haul. The house is old where front of house to rear of house, about 30 ft, wifi loses like 40-60%. I'm not really sure what you can do with the ethernet backhaul.

FIOS is coming in the basement , I plan to replace it with an Asus router and take out the fios router.

Issue is I only have 1 ethernet going up to the first floor. They close the walls before I can run more wires.

So, to get the mesh going, can I do the middle where Primary AI router's Lan to Wan and from first node to second node using Lan to Wan ?

If not other option is put a switch where Lan goes to the 2 WAN ports

Last option would be 1 connected ethernet and other is wireless

Attachments

• AI.jpg
    AI.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 10

rsutoratosu

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2011
I dont have tv in the last room, same issue, walls close, I manage to run a ethernet between that last room to second node but i dont know if i can do Lan to wan on middle asus,, theres definitely no way down to basement from that last node area.

Right now I have it in ap mode, but mesh would be better

rsutoratosu

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2011
I should explain it better, I have ethernet between basement (fios main ont) and node 1. I have ethernet between node 1 and node 2

But not an ethernet between basement and node 2. Walls was closed before I did that.

Being that AiMesh wants LAN To WAN. I have no way to get LAN to WAN from basement to Node 2.

If Ai Mesh works by taking LAN of node 1 to WAN of node 2, then I'm set.
As of now, I don't have node 2, if something like that works, I'll reflash one of the tmobile unit i have into Asus node 2.

SamirD

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2019
www.huntsvillecarscene.com
I should explain it better, I have ethernet between basement (fios main ont) and node 1. I have ethernet between node 1 and node 2

But not an ethernet between basement and node 2. Walls was closed before I did that.

Being that AiMesh wants LAN To WAN. I have no way to get LAN to WAN from basement to Node 2.

If Ai Mesh works by taking LAN of node 1 to WAN of node 2, then I'm set.
As of now, I don't have node 2, if something like that works, I'll reflash one of the tmobile unit i have into Asus node 2.
Hmmm...well, then your question is how aimesh deals with two nodes on the lan. It these were regular access points, it wouldn't matter, so I'm guessing it would be the same with aimesh. I would try it and report back.

olddaddio

Jan 31, 2010
The latest Aimesh firmware (Aimesh 2.0) will configure your network for you. Under the Aimesh tab there is an 'Optimization' feature. I have not used it as my nodes are wired to the router, and it would not accomplish anything.