Any advantage in using 1 RAM slot over 2 slots (1x2Gb vs 2x1GB)?

Qubus

Nov 16, 2008
I have an old Dell E1405/640M. The maximum the laptop is supposed to be able to recognise is 2GB either by 1x2GB vs 2x1GB.

Is there any benefit to using one configuration over another?

ie Would there be decreased power draw if using only 1 slot - and would it be significant? Also, what/how serious would the performance drop be? I've been out of the loop for a while :)

Q

Dec 10, 2005
Not really any benefit to one configuration over another. You can probably go higher than 2GB, especially if it's using the 945 mobile chipset (first generation of Core Duo mobile processors).

What amount of RAM do you have installed now? If you have 1GB (2x512MB), you can just pull one of the 512MB sticks out and place a 2GB stick in for a total of 2.5GB.

The max supported RAM is weird. I think Dell only lists the "max supported" by what amount they sold up to with that computer.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
I can only think of one advantage. I ordered my T60 with one 2GB SODIMM leaving one slot open. Why? Simply to allow for later expansion to 4 GB should I change to 64 bit Vista.

There is a downside, perhaps for some. The single 2GB SODIMM is more expensive than a pair of 1 GB SODIMMs.

IlllI

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2002
Originally posted by: corkyg
I can only think of one advantage. I ordered my T60 with one 2GB SODIMM leaving one slot open. Why? Simply to allow for later expansion to 4 GB should I change to 64 bit Vista.

There is a downside, perhaps for some. The single 2GB SODIMM is more expensive than a pair of 1 GB SODIMMs.

yep. thats about it really.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
There's also the fact it would be easier to trouble shoot if the memory dies on you. At least you'll still have 1 gig. For best performance, it's recommended to have matching sticks. Not sure if it's better to have 2 gigs or 2.5 gigs unmatched.

Qubus

Nov 16, 2008
Originally I was looking at 2 x 1GB and was planning to give my sticks to my gf as she has just 512MB which is barely usable.

Anyway, I was looking at 2Gb as I'm pretty sure I won't be needing more. However, I may be getting into more serious PS in about 4 months so having the option for another 1GB later might make sense. So is there really no performance drop from just using 1 stick vs 2 sticks? I remember it being about about 5-10% with the XPs/A64s back in the day.

Also, the price difference between 2Gb and 2x1GB modules is rather negligible with retailers here.

*Edit* Although I assume so, would a 2GB and 1Gb stick of the same type be fine together?

WobbleWobble

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001
My brother has an E1405 and it has a 1GB and 2GB stick. Supports it no problem. The only problem with the chipset in that laptop is it does not let you use all 4GB of RAM if you put 2x2GB in there. It behaves the same as as using a 32-bit OS. So 3GB is probably the sweet spot without "wasting" RAM.

This chipset also supports dual-channel memory with mixed memory sizes I believe.

Qubus

Nov 16, 2008
Thanks for the replies. I'll be buying 3GB then. It's cheap enough, can buy the same module type and there's no extra delivery.