Anticipating a flat

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Pulsar

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2003
Apparently you don't live in Northern Ontario where Aluminum Rims disintegrate in salt or find it necessary to climb a curb or 2 to get out of the way without them busting.

Tubless Aluminum Rims corrode and cause flats and break - Period.

I live less than 30 miles from you, in the land of the worst roads on the planet (Michigan) and have a car with 300,000 miles on it (86 Trans-Am) still riding on the original aluminum rims. I put 270,000 of those miles on it myself, much of it in the winter since it was the only car I drove for 12 years.

You, sir, are full of what makes the grass grow. While you may have an anecdotal story or two, the entire auto industry and millions of aluminum rims stand witness that you're full of poop.

DaTT

Garage Moderator
Feb 13, 2003
Put a tube in it.

Aluminum Rims SUCK and break.

If you want to go tubeless use steel rims.

Such an odd statement...

As many others have already said, aluminum rims are fine.

Tubes?

WoodButcher

Platinum Member
Mar 10, 2001
Or in trunks, neglected for a decade and only checked for proper air pressure once or twice during that time.
I haven't checked the pressure in my donut spare since I bought the van 3 years ago. I believe you have a point.

I really don't want to disturb the gopher living under it in the backyard at this time though.
Maybe in the spring.

OP unless you use the 5th tire as part of the rotation program
it is a complete waste of money. Your saying buy a tire just in case you get a blowout. What if that never happens during the life of your car? Now you have a brand new tire you can't sell because of age and if you want to use it yourself you'll need a another car with the same tire, are you planning on buying cars by tire size from now on?

Blain

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Just buy four fresh Michelin all season tires and be done with it.
Add on "road hazard" to cover any flats.

tracerbullet

Golden Member
Feb 22, 2001
Adding to the side argument - My 98 Ford Ranger used to consistently lose air in 3 of its 4 tires because of corrosion on its alloy wheels. Removing the tires and manually cleaning the wheels lips solved it for a few years but of course it came back. I'm not saying it's a widespread issue, but yeah it can and does happen.