Anti-Union thread: 4-23-08 Whirlpool suspends 39 without pay for smoking

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: CADsortaGUY
Originally posted by: ericlp
I think we need more engineers that can build better robots.... I really think in this day in age, we should have the best robot technology to build 90% of a car to 100% accurate standards. Yeah, that would possibly even lower the work force number, at the same time you have to hire a pretty big IT force to keep the robots working. Robots don't complain or take sick days or require over time pay, raises, health insurance ...etc...etc... But if we want to 'compete' with over seas ... This is the only option I see... If we don't start to figure this out now before China starts selling it's cars under 6-7K in the USA I believe that the US automaker will continue to lose profits and lay off more people.

But the UAW and union fluffers don't like automation - it takes unskilled labor and turns it into professional positions(engineering staff) which don't fall under the union. I've been in plants where I get the evil eye from the union fluffers as I'm an automation engineer brought in from the outside to make lines run better/faster/with less manpower. They see the writing on the wall and don't like it.
I sleep well at night knowing that by me doing what I do - I help keep the factory HERE in the US instead of them sending over the border. Plus it isn't always about manpower reduction - many times it's about safety and product changes.

Sure, but that's not real helpful to some 45 year old line worker who doesn't have the benefit of professional training as an automation engineer. I agree that holding back automation just for the sake of preserving jobs is silly, but I also think we could do a better job making sure the transition doesn't put anyone out of work for the rest of their lives. Job retraining is something that I think everyone could get behind. You can sleep well at night helping the industry as a whole, but you can also sleep well at night knowing that this march towards the future isn't going to leave a whole lot of people behind.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Jaskalas
You touch on a very important topic. How do we compete with nations whose labor is treated like trash if we ourselves do not treat our labor like trash?

Can we/should we raise the price of products from those nations to allow our labor to compete at a healthy standard of living? I do not want our workforce to resemble that of Asia.
As long as Americans' market is open to the stuff by the trashed and non-trashed workers, you can't. And so, you don't; the workers here should find other markets.

But it's not quite that black and white. Honda has plants (as do others) in this country and no union workers and their workers are not treated like trash. Granted, they aren't paid as well but that's because somebody with little education, little actual job skills (pressing buttons in the same series every three minutes is not a real skill), doing what a robot could do except in their particular case to get a robot built would cost more, shouldn't be making as much as union workers anyway. UAW had helped kill the domestic car and at the same time the hand that feeds them. A modern day tragedy of the commons, really.

nergee

Jan 25, 2000
..."Honda has plants (as do others) in this country and no union workers ...aren't paid as well but that's because somebody with little education, little actual job skills (pressing buttons in the same series every three minutes is not a real skill),.... shouldn't be making as much as union workers anyway."....

So what are union auto workers doing different on the assembly line than non-union auto worker to deserve higher pay?

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Rainsford
Originally posted by: CADsortaGUY
I think we need more engineers that can build better robots.... I really think in this day in age, we should have the best robot technology to build 90% of a car to 100% accurate standards. Yeah, that would possibly even lower the work force number, at the same time you have to hire a pretty big IT force to keep the robots working. Robots don't complain or take sick days or require over time pay, raises, health insurance ...etc...etc... But if we want to 'compete' with over seas ... This is the only option I see... If we don't start to figure this out now before China starts selling it's cars under 6-7K in the USA I believe that the US automaker will continue to lose profits and lay off more people.

But the UAW and union fluffers don't like automation - it takes unskilled labor and turns it into professional positions(engineering staff) which don't fall under the union. I've been in plants where I get the evil eye from the union fluffers as I'm an automation engineer brought in from the outside to make lines run better/faster/with less manpower. They see the writing on the wall and don't like it.
I sleep well at night knowing that by me doing what I do - I help keep the factory HERE in the US instead of them sending over the border. Plus it isn't always about manpower reduction - many times it's about safety and product changes.

Sure, but that's not real helpful to some 45 year old line worker who doesn't have the benefit of professional training as an automation engineer. I agree that holding back automation just for the sake of preserving jobs is silly, but I also think we could do a better job making sure the transition doesn't put anyone out of work for the rest of their lives. Job retraining is something that I think everyone could get behind. You can sleep well at night helping the industry as a whole, but you can also sleep well at night knowing that this march towards the future isn't going to leave a whole lot of people behind.

I agree to a certain extent, it sucks for those who get laid off but usually with automation it's not a matter of lay offs, but rather attrition due to retirement and no hiring that brings the worker numbers down. I know that none of the lines i've worked on or put in caused anyone to directly loose their job but it may have prevented someone from getting hired. It sucks but machines can do much more than humans and for much less cost.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: Ns1
Originally posted by: Jaskalas
Originally posted by: RY62

IMO, your FUD about sweatshops is just bullshit. Any business that doesn't provide competitive wages and benefits will not attract quality workers. Without quality workers the business will fail.

You may need to look at Wal-Mart again. Lowest price > American standards.

That not good enough? Look at our Auto Makers. They cannot build a vehicle cheap enough VS overseas prices. Yet THEY are the ones failing because they have quality workers.

Last time I checked TOYOTA had a huge factory in Ky north of the airport.

*unverified data ahead*

According to recent analysis from The Detroit Free Press, workers at the Toyota Motor Corp. plant in Georgetown, Ky., last year received more in pay and bonuses than UAW members averaged at domestic automaker factories for the first time.

Toyota employs 17,150 production workers at four vehicle assembly plants in the U.S., including a factory in Princeton, Ind., that employs more than 4,000, and recently announced plans to build a fifth in Mississippi. Unions represent workers at only one of those, a California factory Toyota co-owns with General Motors Corp.

http://news.thomasnet.com/IMT/...uaw_labor_workers.html

^ There's the reason for shrinking union membership.

We have a lot of auto production here in the US. It's just the newer factories - Toyota BMW etc - are located in the South and are non-union.

And I've seen the same data as the above poster - these non-union employees have equivilent or better pay & benefits than the union workers.

Fern

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Originally posted by: nergee
So what are union auto workers doing different on the assembly line than non-union auto worker to deserve higher pay?

Unionizing.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Look at the graphs... look at numbers of engineers being graduated today. Don't you find it a bit disturbing as the NUMBERS continue to decline are at the LOWEST on record EVER from this administration?

It's not too hard to add up the numbers, Science vs. evolution, Stem Cell, Pseudoscience... the list goes on...

As China and India take away more and more jobs... And big companies like GE, IBM, Sun, Intel start moving plants over and pouring trillions of dollars into it.... These companies are the tip of the ice burg. I'm not gonna say religion has ZERO play in this... Especially since India a very religious country much like our own is getting more and more jobs from the US. Tho you can't take out Singapore or China out of the equation.

Maybe your right... Tho, in away I hope you are. How does our country allow the bush admin to get away with this? Can't we see if we outsource 90% of tech jobs and R&D to other places on the planet that they will soon realize that they can do the job better and branch out on their own... Ya know AMD use to make chips for Intel. Till one day AMD started making it's own chips... Intel sued the crap out of AMD, yet they worked out a deal to stay alive. Today AMD's chips are just as good as Intel's. It's not a matter of IF but When.

How does this play into automation? Well, Japan's robots are the finest in the world and that has allowed them to stay on top ... Why aren't we producing the finest robots? What is wrong with this picture? Why we are not investing trillions into R&D and giving thousands of jobs away..... I could go on and on about graphs about money and job growth and outsourcing .... Tho you probably already know all about it.

I applaud your work ethics tho... I automated 5 or 6 power plants (hydroelectic) building scada routines and networks to run them on. I think we saved about 16-20 jobs by taking remote control of the operation, I am sure that the operators weren't too happy about it. I didn't lose any sleep over it.

Again, if we lose our tech edge were screwed....

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Today AMD's chips are just as good as Intel's.

I'm too lazy to debunk the rest of your argument, but I'll take a second and debunk this one

For decades, the semiconductor industry has lived by the 1965 observation of Intel co-founder Gordon Moore that the computing power of semiconductors doubles roughly every two years. Intel has kept up, but now some say AMD can no longer keep pace as it has fallen behind a manufacturing generation and its chips aren't as speedy as Intel's.

"If you're not keeping up with the rhythm of Moore's Law, and I don't think AMD is, you're going to continue to lose money and market share," said Hans Mosesmann, an analyst with Raymond James & Associates.

AMD lags Intel, the No. 1 chipmaker, in chipmaking technology and could be about nine months behind Intel when it introduces chips with elements as small as 45 nanometers in the second half of 2008, analysts said.

Text

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
Look at the graphs... look at numbers of engineers being graduated today. Don't you find it a bit disturbing as the NUMBERS continue to decline are at the LOWEST on record EVER from this administration?

It's not too hard to add up the numbers, Science vs. evolution, Stem Cell, Pseudoscience... the list goes on...

Huh? More people believe in evolution now than ever, and we have less engineers graduating now. So a belief in evolution leads to less engineers?

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
..."Honda has plants (as do others) in this country and no union workers ...aren't paid as well but that's because somebody with little education, little actual job skills (pressing buttons in the same series every three minutes is not a real skill),.... shouldn't be making as much as union workers anyway."....

It has nothing to do with the workers in most cases. It has to with non-union shops offering profit sharing. And of course the stranglehold unions have put on shops. Fuckin extortion IMHO.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
You all are assuming that US Domestic auto manufacturers right now even want to be selling cars....they don't.

GM and FoMoCo don't want themselves to be doing good right now, if you think this is false then you are quite naive...

Don't believe me?

1.) Take a look at the contracts they just signed that will be - at minimum - the basis for all contracts going forward.

2.) Take a look at their offerings in Australia and EU and compare them to the offerings here in the US and how those Australia/EU offerings if offered here would compare to Japanese/Korean offerings here.

GM and Ford have gotten everything they want for now, exactly they way they planned it.

UAW membership will continue to trend down because even at the previous $22+ hr. for line workers, they had hard times keeping an honest workforce. You think at $14+ hr. for the exact same work in the exact same locations they're going to be having people lining up? Please. And, when they can't, they'll have all the ammo they need to shutter those plants and move to wherever the bean counters say will bring the best cost/benefit reward.

Don't worry though...the CEO's and Upper Management will continue to rake in rediculously high wages, all while the BoD signs off on it.

Chuck

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000

Absolutely nothing at all, but they have the company by the balls. Ford(?) recently offered early retirement to some making $28/hour and is going to hire people to do the same job at $14/hour.

ericlpI don't blame outsourcing on the Bush admin. There are plenty of things to blame it for but nto this.

chucky2 Your sense that the domestic auto makers want to watch their companies fail is quite simply insane. So tell me, all the board members, CEO, shareholders, etc. are all in cahoots when they get together trying to come up with secret plans on how to continue to lose market share domestically? For God's sake man that is just crazy.

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Originally posted by: woodie1
Originally posted by: Vic
If you don't buy American cars, then American automakers can't afford to employ union American autoworkers. Simple as that, no "sweatshopping" necessary.

And where, kind sir, does one find an 'American' car? Some Hondas and Toyotas have more "American" content than what is in the showroom of many Ford and GM dealers.

Yep....the parts origination sticker on my Toyota Sequoia and my Tundra show them being built of 100% U.S. parts.

Try finding a Chevy of Ford with that much U.S. content.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Skoorb

<snip>

chucky2 Your sense that the domestic auto makers want to watch their companies fail is quite simply insane. So tell me, all the board members, CEO, shareholders, etc. are all in cahoots when they get together trying to come up with secret plans on how to continue to lose market share domestically? For God's sake man that is just crazy.

Crazy? Lets see:

1.) New hires since the contract will start at $14 hr. instead of $22 something and hour. That is in perpetuam until the $14 starting salary is raised.

2.) GM and Ford now have paid the UAW lump sum payments to offload healthcare and retirement onto the UAW - basically GM and Ford pay a salary now, that's it.

3.a.) With such a low demand for gas guzzling SUV/Truck's, and such a high demand for fuel efficient cars, how is it possible that GM or Ford has not brought a truly high mpg car to the US market, especially as they have them now in EU? Basically, how is it that GM and Ford suck so bad in their offerings compared to their Japanese counterparts, even when they have "import beaters" virtually ready to go in EU? Don't tell me because of safety and/or emission reg.'s...even with the requisite upgrades to the car to meet US reg's, those offerings would still be better than what we've got here. With such a low cost, simple, and immediate (in the car world) solution, how is it that the CEO's and BoD cannot deliver on this? A little strange huh?

3.b.) You can already see Ford's strategery going forward with the Fusion. It's got low domestic parts content, and the high paid well represented Mexicans that make it right across our border surely aren't even getting the $14 and hr. new hires would be getting here.

These CEO's and their BoD know exactly what they're doing...and they've got it all in spades now.

One thing is for certain though: Even after going to $14 hr. US workers, even after getting rid of retirement and health care liability, the same cars we have now will be the same cars in the future, and they'll all cost the same....no savings to you and I. Tell me....where did all that extra money go???

Chuck

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
What makes an American Automobile? Parts often come from Mexico and Canada or the entire automobile may be assembled in Mexico. There is no such thing as an American Corporation any more. Even if you make your own steel often the raw materials like Lead , zinc, maganese, or ore may originate from different resources. Often the only part of a company that is American are a few of the CEO's and board members.

Ktulu

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2000
Originally posted by: piasabird
What makes an American Automobile? Parts often come from Mexico and Canada or the entire automobile may be assembled in Mexico. There is no such thing as an American Corporation any more. Even if you make your own steel often the raw materials like Lead , zinc, maganese, or ore may originate from different resources. Often the only part of a company that is American are a few of the CEO's and board members.

Are you absolutely sure about that?

As a whole domestic automakers still use far more domestic content in their cars than your beloved Toyota's and Honda's.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
good. fvck unions.

There was a time when they were beneficial to the U.S., but no longer. We'll all be better off when they are done away with altogether.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005

I dont think youre correct. If so I'd like to see a link.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: Ktulu

As a whole domestic automakers still use far more domestic content in their cars than your beloved Toyota's and Honda's.

No. I suggest you read this. There are 3 different ways the US determines domestic and foreign content. you have to look at all 3 ways to get a full picture. The big 3 Japanese makers are with 5% domestic content overall as the Big 3 American. AFA Pisa's comment, he's half right. Parts *DO* come from Mexico, but also from Canada. I cant find anything to suggest cars are actually assembled there though. Doesnt mean its not true. The thing to remember is when you see "domestic content" youre looking at a percentage of parts from USA, Canada, AND Mexico. It's part of NAFTA. There is no clear indication of how much of ANY car has of USA parts.

The bottom line is that Japanese cars have about the same American content as American cars.

Ktulu

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2000
Originally posted by: blackangst1

No. I suggest you read this. There are 3 different ways the US determines domestic and foreign content. you have to look at all 3 ways to get a full picture. The big 3 Japanese makers are with 5% domestic content overall as the Big 3 American. AFA Pisa's comment, he's half right. Parts *DO* come from Mexico, but also from Canada. I cant find anything to suggest cars are actually assembled there though. Doesnt mean its not true. The thing to remember is when you see "domestic content" youre looking at a percentage of parts from USA, Canada, AND Mexico. It's part of NAFTA. There is no clear indication of how much of ANY car has of USA parts.

The bottom line is that Japanese cars have about the same American content as American cars.

That's a pretty fair statement. A couple things though: 1. Where in the article does it state that the Japanese are within 5% of the domestics. 2. If, do to NAFTA, we can't draw a clear distinction as to what is American versus Canadian or Mexican, how can you say that the Japanese cars have about the same American content as American cars?

And as far as the link I posted is concerned, they seem to be using whatever data is submitted to the government. Take it for what it worth:

Domestic Content, U.S. Auto Parts Purchases, Parts Supplier Jobs Level Field estimates on the size of the U.S. auto parts market are based on statements by the automakers and their trade associations. Most purchase estimates relate to 2005 or 2006. Sales-weighted domestic content figures are based on (1) vehicle-specific content data provided by the automakers themselves to the U.S. government, and (2) 2006 and 2007 sales figures, as reported by Automotive News. Many automakers have submitted incomplete domestic content reports to the U.S. government for the 2005, 2006 and 2007 model years. In these cases, Level Field uses adjacent year data, where appropriate.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: blackangst1

That's a pretty fair statement. A couple things though: 1. Where in the article does it state that the Japanese are within 5% of the domestics. 2. If, do to NAFTA, we can't draw a clear distinction as to what is American versus Canadian or Mexican, how can you say that the Japanese cars have about the same American content as American cars?

And as far as the link I posted is concerned, they seem to be using whatever data is submitted to the government. Take it for what it worth:

Domestic Content, U.S. Auto Parts Purchases, Parts Supplier Jobs Level Field estimates on the size of the U.S. auto parts market are based on statements by the automakers and their trade associations. Most purchase estimates relate to 2005 or 2006. Sales-weighted domestic content figures are based on (1) vehicle-specific content data provided by the automakers themselves to the U.S. government, and (2) 2006 and 2007 sales figures, as reported by Automotive News. Many automakers have submitted incomplete domestic content reports to the U.S. government for the 2005, 2006 and 2007 model years. In these cases, Level Field uses adjacent year data, where appropriate.

Well, as explained in the article I posted, there are 3 standards used by the gov't to measure domestic content. We have no way of knowing which of the three your link uses.

A few points in my article:

Domestic carmakers rely more on imported parts, foreign carmakers increasingly use parts that were produced in the U.S., and foreign parts companies have established production operations in North America.1 In 2006, about 25% of parts used in the U.S. were imported, and approximately another 25% were produced by U.S.-based operations of foreign parts makers

For example, in model year 2006, the Ford Mustang had 65% domestic content and the Chevrolet Suburban 67%-both less than the Honda Accord at 70% and the Toyota Camry at 80%

For regulating fuel-efficiency, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency considers a vehicle to be domestic if at least 75% of its content is produced in North America, including Canada and Mexico.

For setting import tariffs, the U.S. Department of Treasury, Customs Service considers a vehicle to be domestic if it has at least 50% U.S. or Canadian content.

Lots more. It's a long article.

daveshel

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: palehorse74
good. fvck unions.

There was a time when they were beneficial to the U.S., but no longer. We'll all be better off when they are done away with altogether.

This has been my position most of my life. Until the last few years, during which I have been employed as a salaried IT worker is a datacenter that treats me like trash. The overtime is really bad - I don't get enough time off to take the necessary steps to battle the stress that comes with the job. This was made possible by the new exemption to the wage hour law signed by GWB a few years back. A union came through not long ago trying to organize and I found that I wasn't allowed to join it because I deal with 'sensitive' information.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Originally posted by: daveshel
good. fvck unions.

This has been my position most of my life. Until the last few years, during which I have been employed as a salaried IT worker is a datacenter that treats me like trash. The overtime is really bad - I don't get enough time off to take the necessary steps to battle the stress that comes with the job. This was made possible by the new exemption to the wage hour law signed by GWB a few years back. A union came through not long ago trying to organize and I found that I wasn't allowed to join it because I deal with 'sensitive' information.

So, as an allegedly highly skilled IT Guy, why not just find a new job where they don't treat you like trash?

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: daveshel
good. fvck unions.

So, as an allegedly highly skilled IT Guy, why not just find a new job where they don't treat you like trash?
I would like to know, too.