Anti-semitism on the rise..? Comments by liberal congress woman, calls for apology from fellow Democrats.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Fox front page story now.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/de...-deeply-hurtful-and-offensive-israel-comments

Fellow Democrats, some big names - Nancy Pelosi, Chelsea Clinton, etc., join in call for apology, rep issues apology:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/11/politics/ilhan-omar-aipac-backlash/index.html

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/co...r-accused-sending-anti-semitic-tweets-n969946

She inferred that some members of congress are paid to be pro-Israel. I don't know she is totally wrong, but there is a way to go about these subjects, and she could have done better. But, to her credit, this pretty well is what lobbying is today, no?

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
Fox front page story now.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/de...-deeply-hurtful-and-offensive-israel-comments

Fellow Democrats, some big names - Nancy Pelosi, Chelsea Clinton, etc., join in call for apology, rep issues apology:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/11/politics/ilhan-omar-aipac-backlash/index.html

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/co...r-accused-sending-anti-semitic-tweets-n969946

She inferred that some members of congress are paid to be pro-Israel. I don't know she is totally wrong, but there is a way to go about these subjects, and she could have done better. But, to her credit, this pretty well is what lobbying is today, no?

There was nothing wrong with her comments. Criticizing AIPAC and Israel is not anti-Semitism. Her apology is disappointing, but I understand that as a freshman rep she was under a lot of pressure.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
There was nothing wrong with her comments. Criticizing AIPAC and Israel is not anti-Semitism. Her apology is disappointing, but I understand that as a freshman rep she was under a lot of pressure.

Saying people only support Israel because they are paid off is a problem.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Is that what she said?

Yes. Did you not read the story?

"Would love to know who @IlhanMN thinks is paying American politicians to be pro-Israel, though I think I can guess. Bad form, Congresswoman. That's the second anti-Semitic trope you've tweeted."

That was the tweet that was the question. Her response was this.

"AIPAC!"

So, question was who is paying people to support Israel, the answer was the AIPAC lobbying group. That is why people in her own party started calling her out.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Unless they are...and that's more or what lobbyists do...pay people to support their cause....whatever it is.

Paying people to support your right to exist as a country seems fine. There is also a history with this person saying Jews "hypnotized the world" into ignoring its evil doings. That sounds real close to the types of comments many racists also make.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
Yes. Did you not read the story?

"Would love to know who @IlhanMN thinks is paying American politicians to be pro-Israel, though I think I can guess. Bad form, Congresswoman. That's the second anti-Semitic trope you've tweeted."

That was the tweet that was the question. Her response was this.

"AIPAC!"

So, question was who is paying people to support Israel, the answer was the AIPAC lobbying group. That is why people in her own party started calling her out.

That's an accurate answer and it does not mean what you said it did.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
Paying people to support your right to exist as a country seems fine. There is also a history with this person saying Jews "hypnotized the world" into ignoring its evil doings. That sounds real close to the types of comments many racists also make.

You fucking worthless liar. That's not what she said at all.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
It's been on the rise for awhile. This is not her first anti-semite type comment either. She's been doing it for years. She's not the only freshman Rep. woman to make such comments. The woman's march also has this problem. Which is why they have lost a lot of support, and from some powerful people. Farrakhan has been an idol, celebrated, and rubbed elbows with Democrats for years. He's clearly a anti-semite. Yet the left does very little to distance themselves from him. It's on the rise, he's been doing his part in all that for decades.

I'm glad to see some very powerful Democratic people step up and say it's wrong. It took them long enough, letting other comments slide though. Racism and bigotry is wrong no matter who its against. Yet time after time we've seen where it's been ok to do against some people, and not others. There can be no favorites, no "well they deserve it" based on history. That only creates more of a problem. Several people here, who claim to be against racism, are exactly that. Only calling out alleged racism against some types of people, but not all.

In true form, Omar's apology came out like she's trying to be the victim in all this.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
That Omar should be accused of anti-Semitism after criticism by McCarthy is thick with irony since McCarthy, the top Republican in the House, faced his own controversy last October when he said on Twitter that billionaires like Michael Bloomberg and Tom Steyer -- two men with Jewish heritage -- were trying to "buy" the election the day after a pipe bomb was sent to George Soros' house.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
It's been on the rise for awhile. This is not her first anti-semite type comment either. She's been doing it for years. She's not the only freshman Rep. woman to make such comments. The woman's march also has this problem. Which is why they have lost a lot of support, and from some powerful people. Farrakhan has been an idol, celebrated, and rubbed elbows with Democrats for years. He's clearly a anti-semite. Yet the left does very little to distance themselves from him. It's on the rise, he's been doing his part in all that for decades.

I'm glad to see some very powerful Democratic people step up and say it's wrong. It took them long enough, letting other comments slide though. Racism and bigotry is wrong no matter who its against. Yet time after time we've seen where it's been ok to do against some people, and not others. There can be no favorites, no "well they deserve it" based on history. That only creates more of a problem. Several people here, who claim to be against racism, are exactly that. Only calling out alleged racism against some types of people, but not all.

In true form, Omar's apology came out like she's trying to be the victim in all this.

The true anti-Semites are the ones that conflate criticism of Israel and it's lobbying efforts with real hatred against Jews. Congratulations.

This is, btw, exactly what they try to do with Jeremy Corbyn. Apparently it's not possible to criticize Israel without being called an anti-Semite.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
And here we have it.

The GOP desperate attempt to equate criticism of Israel and Israeli policy with anti-semitism.

Never mind the fact that none of it is anti-jewish. Merely anti-Israeli policy. But fuck it, why ruin a good trope, right?

Meanwhile, the actual party of "JEWS WILL NOT REPLACE US" wants us to believe the other guys are anti-semites...

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
And here we have it.

The GOP desperate attempt to equate criticism of Israel and Israeli policy with anti-semitism.

Never mind the fact that none of it is anti-jewish. Merely anti-Israeli policy. But fuck it, why ruin a good trope, right?

Meanwhile, the actual party of "JEWS WILL NOT REPLACE US" wants us to believe the other guys are anti-semites...

Have you not see the Dems doing the same? Why label this as a GOP thing when many from the D's are calling this anti-semitism?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Um... yes she did. Here is the tweet.

"Israel has hypnotized the world, may Allah awaken the people and help them see the evil doings of Israel. #Gaza #Palestine #Israel"

Again, how is what I said before not accurate about paying off people to support Israel?

You said that the claim was that people ONLY supported Israel because they were being paid. That is very likely untrue as there area ton of cultural and strategic reasons why some lawmakers support Israel. That definitely doesn't change the fact that AIPAC is definitely spending a great deal of money on lawmakers so that they support Israel.

You are welcome to think that foreign nations spending this sort of money on our lawmakers to curry favor is acceptable but I do not - it's corruption.

Reactions: DarthKyrie
Nov 25, 2013
Um... yes she did. Here is the tweet.

"Israel has hypnotized the world, may Allah awaken the people and help them see the evil doings of Israel. #Gaza #Palestine #Israel"

Again, how is what I said before not accurate about paying off people to support Israel?

Notice the difference between your original statement and the one you make above?

"There is also a history with this person saying Jews "hypnotized the world" into ignoring its evil doings."

tsk, tsk, tsk.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Notice the difference between your original statement and the one you make above?

"There is also a history with this person saying Jews "hypnotized the world" into ignoring its evil doings."

tsk, tsk, tsk.

Ah, the ole anti antisemitism veiled by saying Israel and not Jews. Its a wonder that hate crime against Jews has gone way up.