Anti-Perspirant/Deodarant Question

mrSHEiK124

Lifer
Mar 6, 2004
What are the real differences between the different compounds you find in the stuff and the method of delivery?

For example, "aluminum chlorohydrate" (8.2%) in Right Guard Sport 24 hr spray, "aluminum zirconium pentachlorohydrex" (17.6%) in Right Guard Xtreme invisible solid, and "aluminum zirconium octachlorohydrex" (16%) in Gillette clear gel. I'm assuming all of this stuff came from the same place, as the Right Guards are a little older and manufactured by Gillette, not by Dial. Also, what am I best off using as far as nasty yellow pit stains go? Gel, invisible solid, or spray?

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Weird.. I have never seen deodorant with anything but aluminum zirconium tetracholorhydrex gly in it...

grohl

Platinum Member
Jun 27, 2004
all antiperspirants make me break out in a rash. Use deodorant only.

crt1530

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2001
Antiperspirants cause pit stains (link). Best bet is to use a solid since it is less likely to get absorbed by your clothes. If you do use sprays or gels, let the product dry before you put your shirt on. Even better, just wear white undershirts that you can bleach.

mrSHEiK124

Lifer
Mar 6, 2004
Originally posted by: grohl

Guess what happens when I don't use antiperspirants? Insane sweating; I think it's stress combined with a shitload of caffeine intake. I don't care if it comes out smelling like roses, I hate having nasty wet shirt pits.
Oh, and they don't give me rashes, hence the questions on what's the best :p

And I just checked the prescription antiperspirant that I used for a while, and it's got 20% aluminum chloride hexahydrate.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
The white solids seem to be the most effective form me despite the fact that the can stain clothing.

mrSHEiK124

Lifer
Mar 6, 2004
Originally posted by: Captante
The white solids seem to be the most effective form me despite the fact that the can stain clothing.

How would you say they rank up with gels as far as effectiveness and staining are concerned?

bluestrobe

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2004
I used to go through shirts like crazy when I used white solid antiperspirants. Since I found out my sweating is a medical condition and nothing can help it, I just use Mitchem gel until I feel like getting the surgery.

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
I used to use Old Spice High Endurance Antiperspirant and had issues with it lasting the whole day during the summer. Now I'm using Axe Dry and I have no issues. I'm not sure if they use different active ingredients.. I can't find them online.

Andy22

Golden Member
Jun 8, 2001
Oh my gosh man...who the heck told you there is nothing you can do about it? I suffered with hyperhidrosis since just after high school and while miserable, I had come to accept it. I had tried about every antiperspirant on the market including certain dry. I ruined tons of shirts from the dreaded pit ring of sweat I would leave. My brother also had this issue but not as bad as me. He went to a dermatologist who prescribed Hypercare. He gave me an extra bottle to try and from the first night I tried, I stopped sweating under my arms completely and have not had any sweating since. I now use it about once or twice a week. You put it on at night and you can use regular deodorant if you want in the morning. It will burn somewhat the first few times you use it but your underarms get used to it and the results are well worth it. It's a miracle drug for me as now I can pick any color shirt I want without regard to how bad my sweat rungs will show up.

Edit to add: When I went to the dermatologist to get my own bottle he tried to convince me that botox was the way to go and I stood firm and basically demanded a prescription for Hypercare and he relented HyperCare

WW

Golden Member
Jun 21, 2001
certain dri is 12% aluminum chloride, and Hypercare is 20%. Try the certain dri first (it's like $6 at most drug stores), if it doesn't work, go to a doctor.

there's even a surgical procedure for extreme cases (they actually snip a nerve)

bluestrobe

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2004
Originally posted by: WW
there's even a surgical procedure for extreme cases (they actually snip a nerve)

That's what was explained to me. I was told they don't snip but knick the nerve to get it back to normal or something along those lines.

mrSHEiK124

Lifer
Mar 6, 2004
Originally posted by: Andy22
Oh my gosh man...who the heck told you there is nothing you can do about it? I suffered with hyperhidrosis since just after high school and while miserable, I had come to accept it. I had tried about every antiperspirant on the market including certain dry. I ruined tons of shirts from the dreaded pit ring of sweat I would leave. My brother also had this issue but not as bad as me. He went to a dermatologist who prescribed Hypercare. He gave me an extra bottle to try and from the first night I tried, I stopped sweating under my arms completely and have not had any sweating since. I now use it about once or twice a week. You put it on at night and you can use regular deodorant if you want in the morning. It will burn somewhat the first few times you use it but your underarms get used to it and the results are well worth it. It's a miracle drug for me as now I can pick any color shirt I want without regard to how bad my sweat rungs will show up.

Edit to add: When I went to the dermatologist to get my own bottle he tried to convince me that botox was the way to go and I stood firm and basically demanded a prescription for Hypercare and he relented HyperCare

My dad prescribed HyperCare for me quite a while ago, I mentioned it a little earlier: "And I just checked the prescription antiperspirant that I used for a while, and it's got 20% aluminum chloride hexahydrate." Now I'm down from Niagara Falls sweat to leaky faucet sweat, I need to know what the best antiperspirant to use in the morning to stay DRY. Florida sucks, ****** 70%+ humidity EVERY DAMN DAY.

Compton

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2000
Originally posted by: grohl

I couldn't get away with that. After an hour or two the sweat would overwhelm me.

bluestrobe

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2004
I was just prescribed "Hypercare" and the directions said to apply it to the underarms each night then wash it off in the morning. I got that part, then it says "Do not apply other deodorants or antiperspirants while using Hypercare." I figured you can't apply both at the same time but did they mean I can't use anything at all (ie. normal day) when I'm doing the treatments at night? The doctor said "follow the directions" and I can't find any information online. Figured someone on here has experience with using this stuff.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: crt1530
Antiperspirants cause pit stains (link). Best bet is to use a solid since it is less likely to get absorbed by your clothes. If you do use sprays or gels, let the product dry before you put your shirt on. Even better, just wear white undershirts that you can bleach.
Wow. Isn't that some form of irony? Or something in that realm? Antiperspirants should stop sweat, but if they don't, they cause the sweat to discolor clothing. Lovely. I wondered about that - one roommate at college got underarm stains all the time, and he kept trying different antiperspirant brands. I guess he should have just switched to a regular deodorant, or maybe one of the prescription/specialty products mentioned in this thread.

I'd worked at a warehouse during the summer, and my clothes would have shown all different kinds of sweat stains if it really was just sweat that did it. No antiperspirants for me - only deodorant.