'Anti-' doesn't sell

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
I think the most interesting part of this editorial is the take on just how strong the anti-war movement in the country really is.

For all the talk and noise made by the anti-war crowd I think the vast majority of Americans aren?t so much anti-war as they are anti-bad news. This is evident in the fact that since the war started to take a more positive turn in mid August we have seen the amount of coverage of the war take a drastic down turn. (Which also shows the media?s tendency to focus on anything negative they can report.)

Also, as shown via polls in a thread a few weeks ago, there are more Americans who support staying in Iraq for the indefinite future than Americans who want an immediate withdrawal.

Finally, despite the way the media reports the stories, I think most Americans understand that all the stories of rape, murder and torture are not representative of most American soldiers. Attempts by the Hollywood left to portray bad behavior as the norm instead of the exception are not going to be met kindly.
Anti doesn't sell
Though the war in Iraq is unpopular, Hollywood is finding out that Americans aren?t clamoring for anti-war diatribes.
By Jonah Goldberg

We've all heard the stories, many true, some apocryphal, of soldiers returning home from Vietnam only to be disrespected and shunned by an ungrateful nation. How many were called war criminals or spat upon is as controversial as it is unknowable. But there's one thing we know our troops never experienced. We never filled the movie theaters during wartime with films calling them war criminals, rapists and, figuratively, spitting on them or on their mission.

Not so today.

Hollywood has been churning out anti-war movies at a blistering pace of late, with more to come. We've already had Rendition, a tendentious, plodding assault on the war on terror, seemingly as-told-to by the ACLU, starring Reese Witherspoon, Peter Sarsgaard, Meryl Streep and Jake Gyllenhaal. There's the meandering In the Valley of Elah, written and directed by Paul Haggis, about a family dealing with a cover-up of their soldier-son's death in an unnecessary war. The Kingdom, more exciting than most, deals with an FBI team's attempt to investigate a terrorist attack on Americans in Saudi Arabia. Its anti-war credentials come from suggesting that the sworn lawmen (and women) investigating the slaughter of families playing softball are no better than the murderers.

Coming next month: Lions for Lambs, starring Tom Cruise, Robert Redford and Meryl Streep ? which gives every indication of being a theatrical version of a loaded question from Helen Thomas at a White House briefing ? and Redacted, a fake documentary directed by Brian De Palma, in which U.S. troops are depicted as dehumanized rapists. Next spring comes Stop Loss, starring Ryan Phillippe, the supposedly heroic soldier who refuses to fight. And there are a whole slew of anti-war books being adapted for the screen as well.

'Willing to be critical'

To be sure, many of these films don't attack the troops directly. Some are thoughtful in their critiques, others less so. Regardless, this is still uncharted territory. "These movies certainly are more willing to be critical of the military and misconduct of individual soldiers. Certainly no such feature was made like these during ... the Vietnam War," Charles Ferguson, a political scientist and creator of the anti-Iraq war documentary, No End In Sight, recently told The Philadelphia Inquirer. But here's the interesting part: So far, these movies are tanking. Rendition opened on 2,250 screens, with three Oscar winners in the cast, and it was beaten its opening weekend by a re-release of the 14-year-old A Nightmare Before Christmas. Elah was a bigger bomb than those used in the "shock and awe" campaign. The Kingdom earned less than $50 million, and surely only did that well because it was marketed as an action movie rather than an anti-war one. Jeanine Basinger, a film historian at Wesleyan University, speculates that "these films are coming forward during the progress of a war and questioning it sooner may mean that the general public is rejecting what our leaders are telling us ... and want to know more about the war."

This is an odd, yet unsurprising, interpretation in an age when The Daily Show is a primary news source.

The public doesn't get to decide what movies are made. As President Bush might say, Hollywood is the "decider." The public determines which movies are successful. Perhaps the studios of yesteryear knew something today's moguls don't. Maybe Americans don't like to see America and her troops run down, even during an unpopular war.

When Peter Berg tested The Kingdom on Americans, he was horrified when the audience cheered when the FBI killed the terrorists at the end. "Am I experiencing American bloodlust?" the director agonized. Berg's contemptuous reaction toward American audiences may point to a few of the reasons these movies are faring poorly at American box offices.

Economics, politics

First, economics. Hollywood cares less and less about what Americans think of their products because as domestic movie attendance has declined, Hollywood shifted its aim to foreign markets. In America, filmmakers are at pains to insist their anti-war fare isn't anti-American. No such distinctions need be made when these films open at Cannes, Venice and Toronto. Denouncing the war isn't only good marketing in Europe, it's the fastest route to critical acclaim.

Second, Americans may not be as passionately opposed to the war as the polls have led Hollywood to believe. Left-wing bloggers, hyper-rich Democratic donors and anti-war activists hate the war with biblical fury. But many average Americans are depressed by the war because, until recently, it was going so badly. The polls don't capture this distinction very well.

This illuminates an under-discussed dynamic of our times. Americans are both anti-war and anti-anti-war. Polls show they are disgusted with Republicans and Democrats. Hollywood and the left generally have misread this political discontent thinking there's a mandate for their trite Vietnam-era nostalgia for mass protest and Joan Baez speechifying. But few Americans are eager to spend their money to listen to the Jane Fonda set say, "I told you so!" for two hours. Especially not when we've heard it all before. (Indeed, Redacted is essentially a remake of his Vietnam movie Casualties of War.)

By confusing the public's war-weariness with their own carefully cultivated rage they've badly overreached. Rage may be a good box office draw; exhaustion isn't. The late film critic Pauline Kael is reported to have said that Nixon couldn't have won because she didn't know anybody who voted for him. Similarly, maybe everyone Paul Haggis knows shares his hatred for the war, but he just doesn't know enough people to make a hit.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
"seemingly as-told-to by the ACLU"..."gives every indication of being a theatrical version of a loaded question from Helen Thomas at a White House briefing"..."Berg's contemptuous reaction toward American audiences"..."their trite Vietnam-era nostalgia for mass protest"

This is obviously written by a witless hack. If there's another article written by someone with a shred of objectivity, I'd be happy to read it. I can't waste time trying parse out what few grains of truth might be embedded somewhere in this hateful diatribe.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: Blackjack200
"seemingly as-told-to by the ACLU"..."gives every indication of being a theatrical version of a loaded question from Helen Thomas at a White House briefing"..."Berg's contemptuous reaction toward American audiences"..."their trite Vietnam-era nostalgia for mass protest"

This is obviously written by a witless hack. If there's another article written by someone with a shred of objectivity, I'd be happy to read it. I can't waste time trying parse out what few grains of truth might be embedded somewhere in this hateful diatribe.
The truth is that anti-war movies are tanking BIG time.

Americans don?t want to see its soldiers and military displayed in a negative way during a war.

10 or 20 years from now these types of films might have a market, but with men in the field I don?t think people want to see them portrayed this way.

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
PJJGA! :roll:

solve the acronym folks, I know you're all smart like that. ;)

Noobtastic

Banned
Jul 9, 2005
Plenty of films criticizing or commenting negatively (not redundant, since the film's story won't necessarily revolve around "phuck teh bshorz."

-Syriana

-Babel

-Jarhead, sort of.

-Three Kings

-F 9/11

-Blood Diamond

-Baghdad E.R (mini-series though)

Anti-war films (current ones) that don't do well at the box office tend to be more publicized than successful anti-war cinema.

Hollywood is profiting off the political zealots that's for sure.

The Kingdom was not anti-war, nor was it criticizing the Iraq War. The film centered on the Islamic Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, a country responsible for the harboring the majority of Islamic terrorists (also one of the primary financiers.) This didn't go well with the leftist political zealots (I'm not being partisan here, these are facts) because it portrayed the brainwashed Saudi populous as people conflicting with their image of the majority of muslims - secular, non-fundamentalist or equal to most fundamentalist religious groups, terrorist or anti-Western ideals belong to only a minority of muslims...blah blah blah.

I highly enjoyed The Kingdom, and still can't fathom how people can sandbag the film because of its political position. If you cannot set aside your typical Hollywood-crazy agenda when reviewing a quality film, then you do not deserve to be a professional critic.

Not that the film didn't have faults, but the action sequences, beginning storyline, and decent acting (especially Bateman baby yeah!) should have easily inched the movie to a 70% average on RT. If Transformers got 50, The Kingdom should have had 60 at least.

The film is going to recoup its losses from international box office and DVD sales, so if you guys are challenging financial issues.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
That's because they are all going to see the pro-war movies, such as...such as, uh...um, damnit, I cannot think of any right now, but they're going to watch those instead.

colonel

Golden Member
Apr 22, 2001
i watched Road to Guantanamo in Toronto, the film never got inside US for censorship.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Skoorb
That's because they are all going to see the pro-war movies, such as...such as, uh...um, damnit, I cannot think of any right now, but they're going to watch those instead.

:thumbsup:

Also MOST movies are not doing well right now. A good movie will pull money, not the theme as much. Also the movies that call anti-war some are a stretch to say the least. Seems like a reach for the neo-cons grabbing at anything.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
The movies are boring and the msg is the same msg people see everynight on the news. Why would somebody pay 10 bucks to go see what they can see for free on a daily basis?

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Jonah Goldberg hates anyone who's left of Hitler, film at 11. :roll:

This is a stupid OP-ED...it's not making a point, except maybe about how much Jonah Goldberg needs the waaambulance. It's several paragraphs of him bitching about Vietnam and the ACLU (God only knows what that has to do with anything), and then a few sentences of actual fact that leads to his "conclusion" that it's all because "the left" is wrong about being anti-war. Maybe the movies that do bad just aren't very good, God knows Hollywood puts out enough of those every year. Treating this as some sort of cultural touchstone is silly, especially when it's extremely obvious how Americans feel about the war.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
PJ, what about Clint Eastwood's two movies about Iwo Jima that came out last year? Critically acclaimed and excellent movies about the horror of war. I strongly reccommend watching both if anyone has missed them.

Two mediocre movies does not a trend make. Most people don't like preachy movies. That doesn't mean they disagree with the movie's underlying viewpoint.

Or would you be happier if Americans were a warmongering people?

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
Originally posted by: colonel
i watched Road to Guantanamo in Toronto, the film never got inside US for censorship.

Wow? Really? I am stunned.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
people aren't going to see a crappy movie simply because it's anti-war.

people aren't going to see a crappy movie simply because it's pro-war.

this can be reduced and combined to... people aren't going to see crappy movies.

XMan

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I don't know if it is so much an issue with anti-war movies as it is movies that SUCK.

Platoon, Apocolypse Now, Full Metal Jacket, Born on the Fourth of July . . . all of them anti-war movies, but they were also good movies.

Edit . . .

Originally posted by: loki8481
people aren't going to see a crappy movie simply because it's anti-war.

people aren't going to see a crappy movie simply because it's pro-war.

this can be reduced and combined to... people aren't going to see crappy movies.

Heh, exactly. You beat me by four minutes.

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
Is this even a War in the traditional sense? We attacked a country that never attacked us.. is there another word for something like that?

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Originally posted by: dahunan
Is this even a War in the traditional sense? We attacked a country that never attacked us.. is there another word for something like that?

Sucker Punch? :p

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
Originally posted by: Marlin1975
Originally posted by: dahunan

Sucker Punch? :p

That sounds too kind... :)

Delita

Jan 12, 2006
I found this article pretty good. Relates somewhat to this. I don't think you need a subscription to view.