Anti-Catholic ok, Pro-Catholic NOT ok. Double standard?

MillionaireNextDoor

Platinum Member
Nov 16, 2000
Anti-Catholic Sculpture On Washburn University?s Campus Part Of Campus Beautification Project; Judge Refuses Request For Removal

ANN ARBOR, MI ? A federal judge in Kansas has ruled that Washburn University did not violate the constitution by prominently displaying a sculpture that mocks the Catholic faith. The sculpture, entitled ?Holier than Thou,? depicts a Roman Catholic bishop with a grotesque facial expression wearing a miter that resembles a phallus. The sculpture was selected for display by the Campus Beautification Committee, whose goal is to make the University ?one of the most beautiful campuses in Kansas.?

The lawsuit was brought by the Thomas More Law Center after the University refused to act on complaints by numerous Catholics including the Archbishop of the Archdiocese of Kansas City. University President Jerry Farley defended the display as fulfilling a purpose of art: ?to engage us intellectually and emotionally.? The case against the University was brought on behalf of Dr. Thomas O?Connor, a professor of 39 years at Washburn, and Andrew Strobl, a senior at Washburn, both devout Catholics. The lawsuit alleged that Washburn?s display of the sculpture conveyed the impermissible state-sponsored message of hostility toward the Catholic faith in violation of the Establishment Clause.

In his decision dismissing the case, the judge held that Washburn had a secular purpose for displaying this sculpture because ?It functions to aesthetically enhance Washburn?s campus [,] broaden the educational experiences [and] increase the intellectual capacities of Washburn?s students.? The judge concluded that the presence of ?Holier than Thou? on ?Washburn?s campus would [not] cause a reasonable observer to believe that [Washburn] endorsed hostility towards the Catholic religion.?

According to Robert Muise, the Law Center attorney handling this case, ?This is a very disappointing decision. We brought this lawsuit because it was the right thing to do, and we intend to appeal the judge?s decision because it is the right thing to do. Catholics will not remain silent while their faith is being publicly ridiculed by a government institution.?

Richard Thompson, President and Chief Counsel of the Law Center, commented, ?Unfortunately, this and several other recent decisions by federal judges have demonstrated that there is a double standard when it comes to applying the Establishment Clause. The Ten Commandments and the Christian Nativity scene are out, but an anti-Catholic display of a bishop wearing a miter that resembles a phallus is permissible because it allegedly enhances aesthetics. Apparently, the religion clauses protect atheists but afford no comparable protection for Christians. This disturbing trend in our federal courts must be reversed.?

An appeal to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit is expected.

-------
:Q :disgust:
I'm not a catholic but it still reeks of hypocrisy.

Thoughts?

-MiND

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Well, I disagree. It's not "anti-Catholic", it is a statement against Preists who commited vile acts and those who attempted to hide the facts of those acts. It is not a condemnation of Catholicism, though I'm sure some would/will use it as such. It would be like if someone made a similar statue of Hitler, would it be Anti-German?

bigdog1218

Golden Member
Mar 7, 2001
Originally posted by: sandorski
Well, I disagree. It's not "anti-Catholic", it is a statement against Preists who commited vile acts and those who attempted to hide the facts of those acts. It is not a condemnation of Catholicism, though I'm sure some would/will use it as such. It would be like if someone made a similar statue of Hitler, would it be Anti-German?

Wrong, it would be like if someone made a statue of a German saying all Germans are guilty of the holocaust. Would you have a problem with that?

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

It doesn't say Fr. Geoghan on it, or the name of another convicted ex-priest now does it?

It's Catholic-bashing, plain and simple. Almost as acceptable as male-bashing on college campuses and in "elite" liberal circles.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: AndrewR

It doesn't say Fr. Geoghan on it, or the name of another convicted ex-priest now does it?

It's Catholic-bashing, plain and simple. Almost as acceptable as male-bashing on college campuses and in "elite" liberal circles.

It is of a priest, not of a common worshiper. The amount of priests implicated in the crime is more than 1 and the problem is quite systemic. Under the circumstances it is appropriate.

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Who in their right mind would think that a statue of a bishop wearing a miter that resembles a phallus could be deemed to "aesthetically enhance Washburn?s campus"? That's f'ed up. It's a freaking statue of a guy wearing a penis for a hat... yeah, that fits right in with a flower garden and some nicely pruned shrubbery!
rolleye.gif

The judge concluded that the presence of ?Holier than Thou? on ?Washburn?s campus would [not] cause a reasonable observer to believe that [Washburn] endorsed hostility towards the Catholic religion.?

I'm a reasonable observer. And I would think exactly that.

Idiot judge.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: Triumph
Who in their right mind would think that a statue of a bishop wearing a miter that resembles a phallus could be deemed to "aesthetically enhance Washburn?s campus"? That's f'ed up. It's a freaking statue of a guy wearing a penis for a hat... yeah, that fits right in with a flower garden and some nicely pruned shrubbery!
rolleye.gif

The judge concluded that the presence of ?Holier than Thou? on ?Washburn?s campus would [not] cause a reasonable observer to believe that [Washburn] endorsed hostility towards the Catholic religion.?

Idiot judge.

/agree totally

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I'll ad a caveat to my earlier post; I would like to see a picture of the statue. Maybe it only very slightly resembles a penis, and not at first glance. Then I might see how the judge could say what he said. But if the bishop has a huge dick on his head, well then...

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Triumph
rolleye.gif

Idiot judge.

rofl, I can agree to that observation. I still maintain that the statue isn't "Anti-Catholic", but it should be in an Art Exhibit. Is Washburn University a Religious Insttitution? If it is, especially if it is a Fundamentalist Institution, then I'd change my position.

huesmann

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 1999
Does Godwin's law apply to forum threads, or is it strictly limited to Usenet?

Edit: I can't spell for jack.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
It is hard to come to a reasonable conclusion about this issue without actually seeing the sculpture

Trevelyan

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2000
Ok, well think of it this way:

If the statue was not criticizing priests/Catholocism, and was just a religious statue (like a saint or something), would you feel differently about it?