Anti Boy Scouts....GRRRRRR.

Page 16 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: slag
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: waggy
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: slag
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Platypus
I'm pro boy scouts.

I was a scout up until life scout.

My son is a tiger cub.

I'm fine with them not allowing homosexuals in the organization. I feel its an unhealthy lifestyle and not something I want my young kids to be around or associated with. These are my beliefs, like them or not. Feel free to judge me or call me names it if makes you feel better.

</end quote></div>

Honest question, how long do you think you can 'protect' your kids from the real world?</end quote></div>

Until they are old enough to make mature decisions. At 4 and 6, they are not mature enough for that. As for giving a specific age, I don't know. Everyone develops at different speeds. It might be 3 months from now, it might be 3 years from now. I'll know when it happens.</end quote></div>

hahahahahhahaha</end quote></div>

As a parent, its my role to try to protect and nurture them to the best of my ability while still letting them experience the "real world". Newsflash to you, homosexuality is not normal. If one of my sons were homosexual I would still love them as only a parent can love their child, but that doesn't make it right. One of the roles of a parent is to support his/her child even though they might not agree with everything they do.

who is to say its not "normal"? god made them. anyway thats a diffrent t hread.

but you are missing what we are saying. you WILL NOT know when they are ready. they are going to discover that stuff long before you think they are ready.

FiddleDD

Diamond Member
Dec 11, 1999
I can read, when this first started out, it seems that people who were complaining about the scouting organization were basing it on the fact that it should have no government assistance due to the fact that it doesn't condon gay membership.

Which lead me to believe that these people were on the side of the ACLU.

Then I thought, I don't really know that much about the ACLU, very innocently I went to wikipedia and I was shocked.

I'm not trying to rip on things, I'm really curious about this.

If you read early on, I admit I'm a little homophobic, I don't think that makes me a bad person either.

And why is it if you figure out something like that, suddenly you "can't read"

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Originally posted by: FiddleDD
I can read, when this first started out, it seems that people who were complaining about the scouting organization were basing it on the fact that it should have no government assistance due to the fact that it doesn't condon gay membership.

Which lead me to believe that these people were on the side of the ACLU.

Then I thought, I don't really know that much about the ACLU, very innocently I went to wikipedia and I was shocked.

I'm not trying to rip on things, I'm really curious about this.

from the ACLU's site:

The mission of the ACLU is to preserve all of these protections and guarantees:

* Your First Amendment rights-freedom of speech, association and assembly. Freedom of the press, and freedom of religion supported by the strict separation of church and state.
* Your right to equal protection under the law - equal treatment regardless of race, sex, religion or national origin.
* Your right to due process - fair treatment by the government whenever the loss of your liberty or property is at stake.
* Your right to privacy - freedom from unwarranted government intrusion into your personal and private affairs.

We work also to extend rights to segments of our population that have traditionally been denied their rights, including Native Americans and other people of color; lesbians, gay men, bisexuals and transgendered people; women; mental-health patients; prisoners; people with disabilities; and the poor.

If the rights of society's most vulnerable members are denied, everybody's rights are imperiled.t

EXman

Lifer
Jul 12, 2001
Originally posted by: joshsquall
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: waggy
IF they want to discrimnate against gays, or athiest thats fine. they are a private orginazition. but they should not recieve any help from the Goverment.</end quote></div>

Agreed. If the KKK agrees to teach children about the fundamentals of outdoor life and cleanup roads and other public land (which they do), should they receive government funding?

That is a overwhelming stretch and you know it. Comparing the two.

Liberal POS

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Lifer, you conveniently left out the part where it says some of the organizations that it defends.

so?

they defend the rights of everyone.

while i do not always agree with them i am glad such a orginazation is around in case i ever need them.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Lifer, you conveniently left out the part where it says some of the organizations that it defends.

It is a matter of record that the ACLU has defended unpopular speech (key word) under the First Amendment from such groups as the KKK and NAMBLA. That does not however mean that they endorse their agendas.

EXman

Lifer
Jul 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Nebor
I'm pro boy scouts.

My son is a tiger cub.

I'm fine with them not allowing homosexuals in the organization. I feel its an unhealthy lifestyle and not something I want my young kids to be around or associated with. These are my beliefs, like them or not. Feel free to judge me or call me names it if makes you feel better.

</end quote></div>

You're a bigot, and I judge you intolerant and hateful.

The BSA should have their tax exempt status withdrawn. While the good they do far outweighs the bad, I would have no qualms with shattering the whole organization for their intolerance.

And that is an opinion of a gay person. You sound as intolerant as they do. And just as hateful.

There is no reason for the BSA to expose any children to sexuality. That's not what the organization is about. There is no "Hedro badge" why should there be a rainbow "Gay badge?"

As far as unhealthy lifestyle. Do you know that AIDS has seen a drop in every group except one... That's right Gay men. Bigotted? Intolerant? No just fact.

EXman

Lifer
Jul 12, 2001
Originally posted by: K1052
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: FiddleDD
Lifer, you conveniently left out the part where it says some of the organizations that it defends.</end quote></div>

It is a matter of record that the ACLU has defended unpopular speech (key word) under the First Amendment from such groups as the KKK and NAMBLA. That does not however mean that they endorse their agendas.

Yup sometime fringe Diviants need a lil help so more mainstream whack jobs look ok.

The Nambla one was poor judgement. The KKK does have a right to be stupid.

FiddleDD

Diamond Member
Dec 11, 1999
I don't agree with a group that sues a private group in order to elevate sexual minorities.

(just my opinion)

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I don't agree with a group that sues a private group in order to elevate sexual minorities.

(just my opinion)

not that it matters if you agree with them or not. same as it does nto matter if people do not like the BSE from discriminating. Each group has a perfect right to do what they are doing.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

(just my opinion)

That's not what happened, though it does illustrate clearly the original intent of the OP.

The ACLU undertook legal action to stop the BSA from receiving government money/assistance while having/practicing clearly discriminatory policies. The courts sided with the ACLU on the grounds that the BSA's prohibition of atheists (among others) made them ineligible for government funding and assistance.

FiddleDD

Diamond Member
Dec 11, 1999
After much reading, I don't think the BSA are being treated fairly, and with that said, I bid you all goodbyes :)

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I don't think a personal belief or any belief in God is necessary to be a good person and lead a good life. I guarantee that if you look at the two camps (God-believing and not believing), you will find people that do and do not live in depravity on both sides.

Number1

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
Originally posted by: Adn4n
I know that the mormons are now the biggest sponsor of the BSA, and even P&T affirmed this on their BullShit episode about the BSA. However, as long as a single cent of gov't money goes to them, then they cannot discriminate. This is what the Constitution provides to us as law, and I don't see why you're still so supportive when you say you believe in the Constitution. BTW, the BSA tax records are a matter of public record.

Correct me if am wrong but in the US there are many faith based organisation receiving tons of money from the government. Those religions are free to discriminate on anything they want.

Why are you saying that BSA should not receive government money if they discriminate?

The army discriminates against homosexual yet they receive all kind of government money!

May 16, 2000
Originally posted by: Number1
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Adn4n
I know that the mormons are now the biggest sponsor of the BSA, and even P&T affirmed this on their BullShit episode about the BSA. However, as long as a single cent of gov't money goes to them, then they cannot discriminate. This is what the Constitution provides to us as law, and I don't see why you're still so supportive when you say you believe in the Constitution. BTW, the BSA tax records are a matter of public record.</end quote></div>

Correct me if am wrong but in the US there are many faith based organisation receiving tons of money from the government. Those religions are free to discriminate on anything they want.

Why are you saying that BSA should not receive government money if they discriminate?

The army discriminates against homosexual yet they receive all kind of government money!

Just because a thing is so doesn't mean it SHOULD be so. We're discussing what should be, and what we choose to do because it isn't yet.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: EXman
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Nebor
I'm pro boy scouts.

My son is a tiger cub.

</end quote></div>

You're a bigot, and I judge you intolerant and hateful.

The BSA should have their tax exempt status withdrawn. While the good they do far outweighs the bad, I would have no qualms with shattering the whole organization for their intolerance.</end quote></div>

And that is an opinion of a gay person. You sound as intolerant as they do. And just as hateful.

There is no reason for the BSA to expose any children to sexuality. That's not what the organization is about. There is no "Hedro badge" why should there be a rainbow "Gay badge?"

As far as unhealthy lifestyle. Do you know that AIDS has seen a drop in every group except one... That's right Gay men. Bigotted? Intolerant? No just fact.

Because with recent developments in AIDS treatments, a lot of gay men think that living with the disease isn't a big deal. So they have stopped practicing safe sex.

Also the gay community is one of the hardest hit by the meth epidemic that's swept this country, giving birth to a term used throughout the gay and straight worlds: "party and play." It means to get together with a group of people, do a bunch of meth, and then have sex with everyone.

I'm not saying the BSA should expose children to sexuality. But removing members\employees because they're gay is wrong.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: Praxis1452
god, what has the topic morphed into now?

The Boy Scouts hate gays. The gays hate Boy Scouts. An epic battle is brewing: pocket knives versus giant black dildos, who will be the victor?

May 16, 2000
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: FettsBabe
You said any sign of homosexual behavior is investigated.

In my opinion, in type of sexual behavior that is at meetings, camping, etc. should be investigated. Sex for teens is an epidemic and so is HIV, Herpes, Crabs, and any other VD, and not to mention pregnancy. If someone showed signs of sexual relations, parents should be told.

Where are we getting tax payer dollars? Someone please answer this or stop bringing this up.</end quote></div>

I'm curious what you mean by this exactly? I know it's an old post, but I just found it while rereading.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Originally posted by: FettsBabe
Why would you be discriminated against? It certainly couldn't be color because we have all different cultures and colors in our Troop. We have 121 Pack members and 102 Troop members (at my last count). We are bigger than most.

You know they don't allow gays right?