Anti Boy Scouts....GRRRRRR.

FettsBabe

Diamond Member
Oct 21, 1999
The Boy Scouts is such a great organization and teaches boys how to be men. It really pisses me off when people slam the BSA organization. They teach survival skills, life skills (personal management, railroading, CPR, etc), and many other valuable lessons such as respect for authority, respect of elders and others.

Everyone always says why does a kid need survival skills. If a child gets lost and they have been in Scouts I worry about them but not like I would if they hadn't been. The child that got lost the other month in NC had only been in Scouts 1 year and he survived with no clothes for over 3 days and the temp was dipping to 28 at night. He survived, he found the searchers, and he was only dehydrated. :)

Yes, they are restrictive as to who can be a member, but who cares? Its all about your personal beliefs. If you don't like it just shut up and don't put you child in it. Who really cares since you aren't going to be a member anyway.

I'm glad girls can now join the Boy Scouts (Venturing) to those that don't know.

I helped raise $16,000 for Camp Raven Knob last year (in one night might I add) and it was worth every minute I put into the fundraiser. Kids for years and years will enjoy the Campsite because of me and our Troop (942).

Wow, I feel better now that I got that off my chest!!!!

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001
Eagle Scout here, I can honestly say I learned a lot in scouts that I honestly never would of otherwise. I also had one of the best leaders there was, a former Marine tough and rugged but the kindest soul you could of ever met.
Thank you for helping out, the scouting organization is nothing without adults making it possible.

blackllotus

Golden Member
May 30, 2005
They openly ban atheists and homosexuals from joining yet they get public funding. Go figure.

FettsBabe

Diamond Member
Oct 21, 1999
Thank Outback Steakhouse.

Do you know that OSI gives each individual store so much money to donate food so local organizations like Scouts can have a dinner (they cook it on site at the charities location)?

They donated food for 250 people to make that night possible. We raised $16000 (net, baby net).

FettsBabe

Diamond Member
Oct 21, 1999
Don't donate to the United Way.

Secondly, the percentage of money they get is so small compared to other UW organizations. IT IS VERY VERY SMALL.

Thirdly, the community owes them that small percentage anyway because they do SO Much for the community. Cleaning rivers, streams, adopting roads, volunteer work (habitat for humanity, homeless shelters, etc).

blackllotus

Golden Member
May 30, 2005
Originally posted by: FettsBabe
Yes, they are restrictive as to who can be a member, but who cares? Its all about your personal beliefs. If you don't like it just shut up and don't put you child in it. Who really cares since you aren't going to be a member anyway.

I care because my tax dollars pay for a discriminatory organization. The BSA is now private, and thats fine, however they still manage to rent public space for dirt cheap.

blackllotus

Golden Member
May 30, 2005
Secondly, the percentage of money they get is so small compared to other UW organizations. IT IS VERY VERY SMALL.

Irrelevant.

Thirdly, the community owes them that small percentage anyway because they do SO Much for the community. Cleaning rivers, streams, adopting roads, volunteer work (habitat for humanity, homeless shelters, etc).

That doesn't justify discrimination

FettsBabe

Diamond Member
Oct 21, 1999
"rent public space for dirt cheap"

We pay what everyone else pays when we rent space.

We do have our own building though, but it was paid for by our founding church/council.

Those tax dollars help keep your streams and roads clean, teaches kids CPR, Survival Skills, etc. This off sets any bad that you are referring to.

The good outways the bad....hands down!!!!

My hubby is Eagle, my stepson is Life. My son will join next year!!!!

FettsBabe

Diamond Member
Oct 21, 1999
"That doesn't justify discrimination "

You are discriminating against them because they don't believe the way you do...I suppose thats irrelevant too.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
I don't understand why you would say this in the same breath as your extolling of their virtues.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I quit buying Levi's branded products many years ago when Levi's pulled their support of the BSA over the homosexual issue.

The BSA is a private organization, and if they want to ban gays from belonging or being leaders, it's up to them.

There are several other companies I refuse to support with my $$$ because I disagree with their corporate politics.

I agree that Levi's has the right to choose what organizations they support, just like it's MY money, I can choose how to spend it.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Originally posted by: BoomerD
I quit buying Levi's branded products many years ago when Levi's pulled their support of the BSA over the homosexual issue.

The BSA is a private organization, and if they want to ban gays from belonging or being leaders, it's up to them.
So they don't get government funding?

blackllotus

Golden Member
May 30, 2005
"rent public space for dirt cheap"

We pay what everyone else pays when we rent space.

We do have our own building though, but it was paid for by our founding church/council.

I can search for links if you want but there are many cases where the BSA has been able to rent public space for one dollar a year.

Those tax dollars help keep your streams and roads clean, teaches kids CPR, Survival Skills, etc. This off sets any bad that you are referring to.

There are plenty of organizations around that do the same thing. I'm not saying its bad, I'm just saying it doesn't justify discrimination.

You are discriminating against them because they don't believe the way you do...I suppose thats irrelevant too.

Last time I checked the BSA isn't obligated to pay me money.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Not that I've ever been aware of...I believe they do get money through the United Way, but that's from private and corporate donations.

FettsBabe

Diamond Member
Oct 21, 1999
"I can search for links if you want but there are many cases where the BSA has been able to rent public space for one dollar a year. "

Why is that a BSA issue? Sounds like your city/county/town agrees with me along with the vast majority of the community if they haven't objected to this.

My Troop doesn't do this. We pay full fees just like everyone else. We don't ask for discounts because we don't have to.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I should clarify...The BSA doesn't receive monitary support from the gov't. Yes, they may (or have in the past) receive some support in the form of donations of surplus gear, may get a discounted rate on meeting places, etc., but many other groups are also eligible for such things, PLUS, the military, in the form of donations and personnel support (visitors who teach certain crafts, survival skills, etc. ) help to further the opinion of the military in the eyes of young men/boys who may someday consider service in the military...it's not always altrustic...

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Regardless of my beliefs and theirs, I will put my son in when he's old enough, even if he chooses not to stay in I would like him to have the chance. I did not have the chance because my parents made me go to church 3 times a week instead. They had an "equivalent" called Royal Rangers, but it just wasn't the same when I compared it with my friends at school.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
IF they want to discrimnate against gays, or athiest thats fine. they are a private orginazition. but they should not recieve any help from the Goverment.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
"I can search for links if you want but there are many cases where the BSA has been able to rent public space for one dollar a year. "

Why is that a BSA issue? Sounds like your city/county/town agrees with me along with the vast majority of the community if they haven't objected to this.

My Troop doesn't do this. We pay full fees just like everyone else. We don't ask for discounts because we don't have to.

because a private orginaziation that excludes on religion should not get benifits from teh taxpayers.

(saying this. when my son is old enough i will put himin Boy scouts)

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: waggy
IF they want to discrimnate against gays, or athiest thats fine. they are a private orginazition. but they should not recieve any help from the Goverment.

Agreed. If the KKK agrees to teach children about the fundamentals of outdoor life and cleanup roads and other public land (which they do), should they receive government funding?

pulse8

Lifer
May 3, 2000
I don't think it's good to teach your children that discrimination is ok so long as you clean.

Marinski

Golden Member
Apr 5, 2006
classicboxingfights.blogspot.com
I was in boy scouts, never graduated to eagle scout though. Camping was fun. I still remember the night that i froze my balls off when we had to build our own shelters and camp out for a night w/ no tent/sleeping bag etc.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
Originally posted by: ch33zw1z
Regardless of my beliefs and theirs, I will put my son in when he's old enough, even if he chooses not to stay in I would like him to have the chance. I did not have the chance because my parents made me go to church 3 times a week instead. They had an "equivalent" called Royal Rangers, but it just wasn't the same when I compared it with my friends at school.
You must have gone to an Assembly of God church.