Anti-Aliasing question

E6700

Dec 31, 2006
Does enabling this option make gaming better? if it's better then how come CCC doens't automatically turn it on by default instead we have to manually set it? i'm not a heavy gamer,probly cant tell the difference anyway,but would like to know.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
you have a nice pc and have been a member here for well over 3 years so why such a remedial question?

all it does it smooth out the edges in games. its not on by default because it it takes a performance hit when enabled.

Last edited:

E6700

Dec 31, 2006
you have a nice pc and have been a member here for well over 3 years so why such a remedial question?

all it does it smooth out the edges in games. its not on by default because it it takes a performance hit when enabled.

I'm interested in cpu/overclocking more than video games/cards.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
well just take it on a game by game basis. your 5850 is strong enough that you can turn it on if the jaggies bother you.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
why? to load the browser .0001 seconds faster?

google fsaa
the higher the settings on image quality the better.

well, there is always the thrill/challenge! Not to mention the learning experience and fun when you get it working and bench marked.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Does enabling this option make gaming better?
Yes, it significantly increases image quality.

if it's better then how come CCC doens't automatically turn it on by default instead we have to manually set it?
The same reason why games don’t automatically set their options to maximum, but instead have menus so you can customize their settings.

Tempered81

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007

Did you know the core of your 5850 will overclock 300mhz from it's factory 725mhz? As far as stability is concerned, you should be able to get 950mhz or more...

:)

Udgnim

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2008
wierd question to ask

it's as if you don't know antialiasing removes jaggies and improves image quality

RockinZ28

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2008
As long as there is an option for real AA I'm fine even with 2xaa. It removes all kinds of texture flickering that I find to be extremely annoying. I didn't notice it really at all on my CRT, but since switching to a LCD last year finally, I have to have it on.

Games that don't have it like GTA4 and Stalker: COP look like crap. COP has it but it isn't true AA, just a stupid blur effect.

CurseTheSky

Diamond Member
Oct 21, 2006
AA will reduce the jagged edges ("staircasing") that you would otherwise see on most angled surfaces. Depending on the resolution you play at, how close you sit to the screen, and how high you set the AA to, the difference could be minimal or dramatic. Here's a good example: http://images.eurogamer.net/assets/articles//a/8/6/7/8/5/1/Saboteur_Aliasing_000.jpg.jpg. I realize these are on different platforms and thus there's more than just AA contributing to the quality difference, but you get the idea.

For me, sitting about 2-3 feet from my 1920x1080 monitor, I can't stand to play with less than 4xAA or so. The more the better.

Last edited:

E6700

Dec 31, 2006
The reason i asked because last time i played Resident evil 5 on a Ati 4850 with AA turn on it freaking lagg when i get the the ocean view in the game,so then i turn off AA then everything back to normal.

Did you know the core of your 5850 will overclock 300mhz from it's factory 725mhz? As far as stability is concerned, you should be able to get 950mhz or more...

:)

if u look at my spec it's already oc'ed max in CCC allowed already.

theAnimal

Diamond Member
Mar 18, 2003
The reason i asked because last time i played Resident evil 5 on a Ati 4850 with AA turn on it freaking lagg when i get the the ocean view in the game,so then i turn off AA then everything back to normal.
Turning on AA does require some GPU processing which of course will lower your FPS, but your current card should handle it much better.

if u look at my spec it's already oc'ed max in CCC allowed already.
Replace CCC with ATI Tray Tools and your artificial ceiling will be gone.