Anti-Aliasing doesn't work

hnr

Dec 3, 2013
Hi all, I have a big problem. I can't seem to get any anti-aliasing while gaming, watching videos, even images. I've tried literally everything: driver reinstalling, running under different OS (Win XP, Win 7, Ubuntu), trying another graphic card, forcing the AA settings from the card's driver, trying older drivers, disassembling the PC and cleaning every single part of it, you name it - I've did it. All with no result. Jagged edges everywhere. The weird part is that there used to be decent AA, but few months ago it just kind of disappeared and I can't get it back. I notice its lack literally in every 3d app. Depending on how the graphics are like in the game, it goes from annoying to downright unplayable. I've searched the Internet, there appears to be a lot of people in the same trouble, but nobody has given a good answer yet. So, if anyone could help me out, please do. If not, all who has the same problem, write back, so that maybe together we could find a solution to this.

My PC: Intel Core2Duo @ 2.93GHz, 4GB RAM, nVidia GT610 (replaced the older ATI Radeon HD 5450), Intel DG41RQ MoBo.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
Games that are using deferred rendering (and obviously if they don't have an in game option for AA) cannot use override MSAA even if you specify it in the driver, AA will not be applied. There is NOTHING you can do to fix this for deferred rendering engines, MSAA won't work. The only thing you CAN do is use post process AA such as FXAA - this may be a driver setting for you if you have the latest nvidia driver.

You should always select AA in game and not within the driver. If the game does not have an option for native AA, then you could look into post process AA such as inject FXAA. The types of post process are FXAA and SMAA.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2009
I've never found AA makes games look better, I simply cannot notice a difference in game. Screen captures from games I see a difference but while playing its the same. I wouldn't stress about it.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
I've never found AA makes games look better, I simply cannot notice a difference in game. Screen captures from games I see a difference but while playing its the same. I wouldn't stress about it.

That must be nice. It's pretty noticeable in motion for a lot of people, including me. I'd love to disable AA and get better performance but it looks so bad I can't do it.

What resolution do you play at?

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011

If your monitor is a piece of junk, sure. Not having AA is incredibly noticeable on an actual good monitor - I use a 1600p panel and it is noticeable. Using 1080p panels it is also noticeable.

Now, for performance reasons it may make sense to disable AA, but to say it isn't noticeable...eh...

BSim500

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2013
Hi all, I have a big problem. I can't seem to get any anti-aliasing while gaming, watching videos, even images. I've tried literally everything: driver reinstalling, running under different OS (Win XP, Win 7, Ubuntu), trying another graphic card, forcing the AA settings from the card's driver, trying older drivers, disassembling the PC and cleaning every single part of it, you name it - I've did it. All with no result. Jagged edges everywhere. The weird part is that there used to be decent AA, but few months ago it just kind of disappeared and I can't get it back. I notice its lack literally in every 3d app
What games does it happen in? Did you change your GFX driver recently? If you swapped your card for your old AMD one, does it still occur? Have you tried reinstalling windows? Can't think of anything else really. Surely it has to be driver related if it's affecting every single game and it used to work? Maybe revert to an older nvidia driver?

hnr

Dec 3, 2013
Wow, lot of questions to answer. So:
-I use my monitor's native resolution, 1360x768
-Most of the games I play do use AA
-I tried changing my driver for an older one, which didn't help, now I regularly update it
-I have tried reinstalling Windows as well as changing to another version and I've also tried running under Ubuntu
-It happened with both cards

In fact I've tried every possible software solution (except for writing an actual driver myself :) ), and nothing helped. I think it might be hardware problem. Maybe something to do with the PCI slot or stuff like that. Trouble is, I can't find a mobo that I could borrow to try and see what happens.