Anthony Bourdain dead at 61. Suicide

Jan 25, 2011
Came out about 7 this morning while I was driving to work. Hit hard as he was always such a warm person or so he seemed. Huge personality. Was found in his hotel room in France. Apparently he hung himself.

Success doesn't breed happiness. Everyone has their demons that they just can't escape from and Anthony was very open about his.

Call your prevention hotline if you need help. Don't suffer alone

United States:

800-273-8255

Canada:

Call - 833-456-4566
Text - 45645

International crisis lines

https://thelifelinecanada.ca/help/crisis-centres/international-crisis-centres/

Worldwide emergency numbers

https://thelifelinecanada.ca/help/crisis-centres/worldwide-emergency-numbers/

Reactions: Caesar

OWR88

Oct 27, 2013
Wow....just wow. Lost for words. Easily the least person you would expect to commit suicide...

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
He was a talented writer and story teller. I never liked his personality. He seemed to have great issues with learning from his mistakes.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
For the later part of my life, I made a habit of going to restaurants keen for an opportunity to steal a recipe. The waiters are more often misleading. Once it took me six months to correct a recipe for a spinach and pasta-sauce capellini. It was the waiter's fault.

I learned how to cook for myself and others. First, I acquired a James Beard "American Cookery," then a Craig Claiborne's New York Times Cookbook. I treasure my copy of Julia Childs' authoritative book on French cooking.

I always told a joke about medical recommendations for diet. Food is such an essential part of enjoyment in life, that when the doctor tells me I can live to 110 on crackers and milk, I will make my last shopping trip, drop by the gun-store, and probably swallow more than my meal just for one last time.

When I discovered the FOOD channel, I figured I could spend less on restaurant visits and avoid the trouble of figuring out a newly-stolen recipe, if I just watched the show. Emeril LaGasse taught me to make Balsamic Potatoes; Justin Wilson assured me that a certain Shrimp Etouffee' he could "Gay-ran-tee!"

So I stumbled onto Anthony Bourdain's "Parts Unknown" maybe five years ago. He was in Columbia, focusing attention on the preparation of an Osso Bucho. This was immediately interesting, if perhaps you had read Conrad's "Nostromo" or through other means come to appreciate the Italian component to Columbia's immigrant population. Osso Bucho is a Milanese dish, concocted around veal shanks.

So at that point, I was wondering when Bourdain would make the recipe available. The show ended. I checked online, and to my horror there was only mention of the Columbian episode, and nothing about Osso Bucho.

Eventually, I got used to this. Recently, Bourdain had spent time in London and vicinity. He went out on a boat to catch the fish that would be fried into fish and chips. With no catfish in the freezer, I headed down to Long John Silver's following the episode.

I cannot understand how a man who appreciates food like Bourdain would want to punch out early.

We will miss you, Anthony Bourdain. We will miss you.

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
I dont like to post in P&N anymore but I have to comment on how much I admired him and enjoyed his work. He was an icon....the one in a million hopeless artist.

Its such a shame that the best of us are often the most troubled.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I mean who didn’t want to be Anthony Bourdain? Hip, cool, deep, visceral, anti-cool, anti-hip. He was intellectual as hell yet still the coolest guy in the room. In mere sentences he could give you perspective on the Vietnam war in one episode and then crack a dick joke in Sichuan province in another. The man had range, he could float like none other on one note, gravelly bassy voice in the next measure.

It was just comforting to know that he was out there filming. I wasn’t his biggest fan in the world, although big enough, but now that he is gone I recognize there is a giant void in something so important there is no name for it. It just is that way.

I think Bourdain was one of the most important people of our generation, deceptively so. He introduced people to people, and by doing that often introduced us to ourselves. In a world rife with folks casting others through a narrow lens he gave us a broader one to look through and then right back at us again. On a planet where we are more connected than ever yet more isolated than before he was the antithesis of that. He just gelled man, with man. And put it on film. He was never afraid of being put on the record. And the record never set him straight.

He was not your typical travel show host. Most try to paint a picture akin to that of an over the top and giddy cruise ship brochure - but not Bourdain - he was simply honest and gritty. Full of insight and bursting with candor, Bourdain cooked up empathetic views of other cultures, painting them in colors and shades an American palate could understand, while still not losing their authenticity. He took us on grand tours of both simple and complex things, ideas and people, and narrated them into symphonies both light and dark.

I never cried when celebrities died. I was always sad at a loss, sometimes more sometimes less. This one hit home. It was reassuring to know that Bourdain was padding around the world, absorbing, observing, ingesting, ruminating. We lost a giant. We lost a leader. We lost a lead by example. With millions of connections to the world going on at any given moment we lost one of the most important ones, and by extension, a connection to ourselves. RIP Bourdain.

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
He was an amazing person and I loved his adventures. I've also known a lot of recovering addicts and alcoholics. He was formerly a heroin addict, but still kept drinking alcohol, which is also a drug. Recovery says no drugs, period, including alcohol. This is a sad and needless loss.