Anthem singers should keep it simple — and selfless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
Agreed. Embellishing the anthem with their "soulness" pisses me off.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
One of the problems with the anthem singers is it really takes an awesome singer to pull it off well. Have you ever tried singing the anthem ? The octaves are all over the place, not an easy song to sing.

NetWareHead

THAT guy
Aug 10, 2002
A better message to send is to make sure the lyrics are correct before attempting to sing the anthem in public.

Agreed. Embellishing the anthem with their "soulness" pisses me off.

This. I absolutely hate the "soulful" exaggerations.

ViperXX

Platinum Member
Nov 2, 2001
I thought Lady Antebellum did an awesome job of the anthem during last Sunday nights game between the Cowboys and Jets.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
There's this trend with modern singers where they feel they have to oversing everything.

"I must add in 65 different notes on this bar to make it sound awesome!"

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
It's sad that I have to change the channel or mute the TV when they start singing the national anthem. It's just hard to listen to with all the little vocal flourishes they add.

trmiv

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
There's this trend with modern singers where they feel they have to oversing everything.

"I must add in 65 different notes on this bar to make it sound awesome!"

Yea I hate it.

"Oooooooooooooooooooo saaaaaaay can you seee eee ee eee eee e ee eeeeeee! Oh say. I said, oh say! I saaaaaaaiiiiid oooooh say say say can you seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! By by by by by by by....... Oh yea by. I said oh yea by that dawn's early early early light!"

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
One of the problems with the anthem singers is it really takes an awesome singer to pull it off well. Have you ever tried singing the anthem ? The octaves are all over the place, not an easy song to sing.

This. I've sung it many times in choirs (good ones) and we spent weeks getting every detail right.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Yea I hate it.

"Oooooooooooooooooooo saaaaaaay can you seee eee ee eee eee e ee eeeeeee! Oh say. I said, oh say! I saaaaaaaiiiiid oooooh say say say can you seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! By by by by by by by....... Oh yea by. I said oh yea by that dawn's early early early light!"
Yes..."oh" should not have 17 syllables and drag on for 30 seconds.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Yea I hate it.

Anyone else hear this guy in their head when reading that?

Foghorn_Leghorn.png

Status
Not open for further replies.