antec truepower2.0 truecontrol II vs ocz powerstream

deadmantyping

Aug 7, 2005
how do these power supplies compare? what would you select for a dfi lanparty sli-dr? reasons please...personal experience with these two? how is the truepower II stability?

tiap

Mar 22, 2001
Just built 2 boxes with those parts. Worked great. Was totally stable on PentiumD

Aquila76

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
www.facebook.com
What is the rest of the equipment? That would help to make sure you've got enough power / rail current in your PSU.

I would NOT recommend OCZ. I've personally seen a few of them just shut off well under their 'peak load' ratings. They're actually rebadged units from some other company, I think Tagan. This is a common problem, apparently: Link
The Antec TruePower series are nice; I had one in my last rig. I personally prefer the Enermax PSU's. I did a lot of research when selecting my PSU for my current rig (built in February) and chose their 495W model. Enermax are often underrated (can take more than what's on the sticker), are quiet, have every connector type you'll need, and have nice long cables. The non-mains power connectors don't come 'factory sleeved' if that's a big deal, but half of the fun is doing your own custom work anyway.

Edit: Added link to OCZ shutoff complaint thread

deadmantyping

Aug 7, 2005
dfi lanparty nf4 sli-dr
ocz 2x1gb ddr400 platinum
athlon 64 3200+ venice OC'ed
thermalright xp-90 + panaflo m1a or nexus 92mm silent
western digital caviar se 250gb sata150
eVGA geforce 7800gtx + battlefield 2

from my old system
Pioneer DVR-A08XLC Silver Dual Layer 4X DVD+/-RW
plus random peripherals

EDIT: btw, does anybody have some links to reviews for the truecontrol II, for some reason i haven't had much luck with google, dunno why.

Aquila76

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
www.facebook.com
Originally posted by: deadmantyping
dfi lanparty nf4 sli-dr
ocz 2x1gb ddr400 platinum
athlon 64 3200+ venice OC'ed
thermalright xp-90 + panaflo m1a or nexus 92mm silent
western digital caviar se 250gb sata150
eVGA geforce 7800gtx + battlefield 2

from my old system
Pioneer DVR-A08XLC Silver Dual Layer 4X DVD+/-RW
plus random peripherals

For now, you'd be good with something like an Antec Truepower2 480, or the Enermax in my Sig. That would probably even suffice if you plan to add another 7800 later or more drives. If your going to do that AND OC the CPU / video, I'd look for something in the 500+ range.

EDIT (In response to yours): This is a good site (actually STRESSED the PSU), and they gave it a favorable review: SilentPC Antec TP 550W.

Feb 19, 2001
No more TruePower 1.0. Do not recommend that stuff anymore. DFI will slap it silly esp w/o native 24 pin support.

TruePower2.0 is far better for your solution. Seasonic and OCZ will work too. TP2.0 has perhaps the tightest voltage regulation, and ties PC Power & Cooling. Seasonic and OCZ come in 2nd, but Seasonic will be much quieter.

d2arcturus

Oct 18, 2004
Originally posted by: DLeRium
No more TruePower 1.0. Do not recommend that stuff anymore. DFI will slap it silly esp w/o native 24 pin support.

TruePower2.0 is far better for your solution. Seasonic and OCZ will work too. TP2.0 has perhaps the tightest voltage regulation, and ties PC Power & Cooling. Seasonic and OCZ come in 2nd, but Seasonic will be much quieter.

Don't forget Fortron. The Blue Storm is 500W at a great price and cables long enough for the P180.

deadmantyping

Aug 7, 2005
is the 19A on each 12v rail fine for any system? I'm not completely sure how the dual 12v rails work, does it mean that i am limited to 19A on one rail? is that ok?

Bona Fide

Banned
Jun 21, 2005
Go with Antec. After all, it's an Antec PSU inside an Antec case. No worries about cable length. And Antec's Truepower line has among the TIGHTEST voltage regulation lines out there. 3% regulation is great. And it's SLI-compatible as well.

My vote - Truecontrol 550

Aquila76

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
www.facebook.com
is the 19A on each 12v rail fine for any system? I'm not completely sure how the dual 12v rails work, does it mean that i am limited to 19A on one rail? is that ok?

It's part of the ATX 2.xx spec. I think 19A is the max allowed per rail, but you can have 2 - 4+ rails in a system. In effect, you'll still have ~36A available current draw on 12V, but it's split up for better regulation / efficiency / heat control.

deadmantyping

Aug 7, 2005
does the truepower truecontrol II have voltage adjust dials? that's what it looks like from the different things i've read but i'm not sure. is this feature comparable to the OCZ powerstream feature?

Gamingphreek

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
THe OCZ will easily be the higher power and higher quality of the 2. However, the Antec has much tighter voltage regulation (2% vs. 5% IIRC). Should read about the same Dba.

-Kevin

John

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
does the truepower truecontrol II have voltage adjust dials? that's what it looks like from the different things i've read but i'm not sure. is this feature comparable to the OCZ powerstream feature?
Yes.