Antec Neo Eco 620C $35 AR AC FS

cytoSiN

Platinum Member
Jul 11, 2002
Dammit Zap, I already have a pile of PSU's in a bin with your name on it and no machine to put them in :D

Sunny129

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2000
i was going to post this in the Hot Deals forum earlier this morning when i got an email from newegg about it, but for some reason the rebate hadn't yet shown up on the product page...glad it finally showed up.

Yeah, the only thing I dont like is its not 80 plus Bronze. :(
yes, but this unit is based on SeaSonic's S12II 620, which is 80 Plus Bronze. Antec probably relabels it 80 Plus just to meet the minimum efficiency requirements and to cover its own ass. if you actually took the time to monitor the Neo Eco 620C's efficiency at various loads, i'd be willing to bet that this PSU conforms w/ the Bronze standard.

Fallengod

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2001
Im sure youre right heh, just sayin, I want to see it on the label. :p And I know its Seasonic S12II. In reality it makes little difference anyways.

Fan is pretty quiet on these right? I hate to do it but I am trying to find a worthy replacement for my Corsair TX650 V2. The fan is just a little louder than id like.

Last edited:

Sunny129

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2000
Fan is pretty quiet on these right? I hate to do it but I am trying to find a worthy replacement for my Corsair TX650 V2. The fan is just a little louder than id like.
its quieter than the TX650v2 for sure both at idle and under moderate loads. but an 70%+ load on the 620C might throttle up the fan to a TX560v2-like noise level. while i don't know whether the Neo Eco 620C and the S12II 620 are identical or not, i do know that one of the most common modifications a manufacturer might make to a ODM PSU is changing the fan. my S12II 620 never got loud, but became audible under significant load. my Neo Eco 620C seemed to follow the same fan throttling profile, but seemed slightly louder than the S12II 620. it could have just been my imagination, but i just thought i'd throw that out there. now i use an X-650 and an X-750, so i never have to worry about the fan throttling high enough to make substantial noise.

Fallengod

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2001
From what I understand, the Neo Eco is made by Seasonic and only "based" on the S12II. I believe they used cheaper capacitors or something like that in it(most likely to get within Antec's budget range or something?). They are not identical units. I dont know anything about the fans though.

kidsafe

Jan 5, 2003
From what I understand, the Neo Eco is made by Seasonic and only "based" on the S12II. I believe they used cheaper capacitors or something like that in it(most likely to get within Antec's budget range or something?). They are not identical units. I dont know anything about the fans though.
PSU platforms are generally differentiated by actual differences in layout and topology rather than the brands of the components inside. A Neo Eco 620C is still an S12II PSU even if it uses Samxon instead of Nippon Chemi-con caps.

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Trying to decide between this or the SeaSonic X650. I know they're in different classes. I just want something that isn't going to start being loud after a few months. I'm replacing a ~6 month old Antec that has a bad fan that rattles loudly about 50% of the time.

Fallengod

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2001
Yeah, pretty big price difference there lol. The X650 is a badass PSU and at 80 plus Gold rated, very nice for efficiency. Its like an $80 price difference between those two so... IMO, not worth the price difference. The X650 is obviously a higher quality made PSU though.

Even though the Neo Eco do use some cheaper components, they still are Seasonic units. I have never experienced a PSU fan going bad so, I cant comment on that except to say, you can always RMA it if it happens...

I will say, I would guess the X650 fan is no doubt better than the ones in the Seasonic S12II's/Neo Eco's. I have heard at load on the Seasonics, the fan tends to get loud, but most of the time you keep it at below at that level anyways.

I dont know, I bought a Neo Eco myself, kind of unbeatable at $40AR. I am hoping its a good unit though ive never owned one. I think I am going to use it to replace my Corsair TX650 V2(the fan is a little louder than id like). Still trying to decide what to do with it. The thing I dont like about the Neo Eco is it only has 3 years warranty compared to most other Seasonic made PSU's that have 5 year warranty. It also has a lower efficiency rating than what Seasonics are supposed to have, which may just be Antec playing it safe or I dont know what.

Last edited:

TekDemon

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2001
Yeah, the only thing I dont like is its not 80 plus Bronze. :(

It is 80 plus bronze. I own two of these, not the most reliable PSUs I've had though-had to RMA one of them within like 2 months and the one they sent back was bad so I had to RMA it again. Still, after the first screw up Antec did step up and it looks like they sent me a ?new? one this time...haven't gotten around to testing it yet.

And under load I don't really get nearly as accurate rails as most reviewers seem to have...

Fallengod

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2001
Comments like that worry me. :p This is a possible replacement for my Corsair TX 650V2 which is a very reliable and quality PSU. I should have just went with a Seasonic.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
Comments like that worry me. :p This is a possible replacement for my Corsair TX 650V2 which is a very reliable and quality PSU. I should have just went with a Seasonic.

Just as anecdotal, I have used the 520 and the 620, absolutely no problems. They are being used in the most important computers that I build, the PC my Wife uses as her main and my Dad's gaming rig.

Sunny129

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2000
i think you're over-thinking your decision and getting yourself all worked up over nothing. worst case you become one of the few unlucky souls who receives a DOA PSU, or a lemon that craps out on you shortly after buying. but in no way is that indicative of the average quality and reliability of the Neo Eco 620C, and Antec will stand behind its product anyways (even though the RMA process is never fun no matter who the manufacturer is).

at any rate, the Neo Eco 620C is every bit as superb in quality and reliability as the Corsair TX650v2. and if you look at the reviews for both the Neo Eco 620C and the TX650v2, you'll see that they have almost identical distributions of 1, 2, 3, 4, & 5-star ratings...which is a good indication that the Neo Eco 620C's failure rate is no higher than the TX650v2's. if you've seen more complaints about the Antec unit failing than you have about the Corsair unit failing, be it on the forums or the internet in general, its purely coincidence...

Fallengod

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2001
Of course. Dont read too much into my comments, sometimes I am just making conversation for the most part. :p

Part of my hesitation is, I used to only purchase Antec PSU's and they have been good for the most part, but I have had to RMA two with them while I have never had to RMA any with Corsair. I also wanted 5-year warranty instead of 3, so that was part of it. I always try to make sure I am making well informed decisions on my purchases when it comes to power supplies. Not the best component to cheap out on. I am only selling my Corsair TX650 v2 because the fan is a bit louder than id like, if this Neo Eco fan isnt any quieter I will probably be flipping it on Ebay or returning it.

Back in the good ol days of the notorious Antec 430 watt PSU's which were known for failing due to bad caps, one of those bad boys took out half a hard drive of MP3's as it was failing. So when I hear models that use cheaper capacitors than another, it makes me think twice. :p That was a long time ago though.

Last edited:

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
if you've seen more complaints about the Antec unit failing than you have about the Corsair unit failing, be it on the forums or the internet in general, its purely coincidence...

Actually it is not coincidence. It is because Antec sells more PSUs than any other aftermarket brand. Thus, if they have the EXACT same failure rate as [insert fav brand here] then you will still see more complaints on Antec purely due to volume.

Fallengod

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2001
Well I got my Antec Neo ECO 620 in mail today. Already took out the Corsair TX 650V2 and installed the Antec.

Always makes me laugh when I compare the packing and care of Corsair PSU's to like, Antec, who doesnt even include a power cable. Corsairs come packed in a huge box, inside a foam casing tied in a fabric bag. Antec comes with 2 pieces of recycled cardboard casings on each side, thats about it. :p I noticed Corsair PSU's are quite a bit larger than these as well which is interesting.

Anyways, PSU works(always a good sign right?). I am pretty happy, this Antec Neo ECO fan is at least half the noise level of the Corsair fan. Since this was basically the only reason I was considering ditching the Corsair, I am pleased. Too bad I had to lose Corsair support and the 5-year warranty to do it.

Last edited:

ss284

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Always makes me laugh when I compare the packing and care of Corsair PSU's to like, Antec, who doesnt even include a power cable. Corsairs come packed in a huge box, inside a foam casing tied in a fabric bag. Antec comes with 2 pieces of recycled cardboard casings on each side, thats about it. :p I noticed Corsair PSU's are quite a bit larger than these as well which is interesting.

It's advertised as a more eco friendly power supply. Do you need the extra foam casing and fabric bag? Do you need the power cable?

My guess is no. I'm also guessing that you spent a good deal less than your did on your corsair.