Answer this question for a web hosting newb

Argo

Lifer
Apr 8, 2000
I found several plans cheap plans that seem to fit me, however none of them include domain name registration. I want to get my own domain name, so does that mean i have to register one through alternative means and somehow link it to my account? Are there any alternatives? All I want is a cheap site with around 1gb disk space, low monthly bandwidth and a domain name attached to it.

Aug 25, 2004
It's best to buy your domain name separately. That way, if you want to change web hosts, they can't create trouble for you by refusing to transfer your domain. Two popular companies for domain names are godaddy and namecheap.

RossMAN in 3... 2... 1...

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: George P Burdell
It's best to buy your domain name separately. That way, if you want to change web hosts, they can't create trouble for you by refusing to transfer your domain. Two popular companies for domain names are godaddy and namecheap.

RossMAN in 3... 2... 1...

Agreed.

Register your domain with a domain registrar like the two listed above.

Don't worry your domain will work just fine and you can easily switch to another web host whenever you want.

Argo

Lifer
Apr 8, 2000
So if I buy my domain name from company A and my web hosting from company B I will be able to link the 2 together?

DeviousTrap

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2002
Originally posted by: Argo
So if I buy my domain name from company A and my web hosting from company B I will be able to link the 2 together?

Yes, your hosting company will give you the nameservers (the server that tells the domain where your account is hosted) and you'll specify those to the domain registrar.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Argo

Yes, that's how my web site GottaDeal.com runs.

NameCheap.com is my domain registrar and HTTPme.COM is the web host.

Your web host will provide DNS name servers which you supply to your domain registrar, it works perfectly.